Quantcast
Fleury Comeback? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleury Comeback?

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Default Fleury Comeback?

Just opening a thread up to see what everyone thinks.
    Do you think it is possible for Fleury to make a comeback?
    Do you think any team would take him?
    Was he serious when he said he'd play in Calgary for free?
    Can he get himself back in shape to be IMO one of the best players in the NHL?

I think he can comeback for sure, a guy like that can do anything he sets his mind to. I'd love to see him come back.

Let me know what you think.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

He's a drama queen

I will personally egg his house if he comes back to play for the Flames.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

all the coke dealers would like it if he came back
    for fleury

and the answer to all the questions is "No!"

My Ride
    Corvette

I wouldn't want to see him play for Calgary for again.

My Ride
    08.5 Mazdaspeed 3

I think he'd be alright, but definitly not first or second line material..... not until he can prove himself. But then again, calgary has been having some bad luck with some vets trying to play.

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Definetly not a good addition for the Flames, if he could control himself he would be decent, BUT time and time again he has proven he can't. Also the refs all hate Fluery, the last thing the Flames need is Fluery getting pointless penalties. Boo to Fluery

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Flames are doing fine this year. They don't need a clown like Fleury bringing all his problems to the team. He's washed up, a waste of skin, and will never be half the player he was back when the Flames won the cup.

-edit-

I stand corrected, he will probably never be the player he was around the time after the flames won the cup ever again.
    Last edited by NickGT; 02-02-2004 at 11:36 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride

Default ,,

It appears I will be against all of you. Here are some facts for you all.
    1). Fleury was NEVER proven to be addicted to any kind of drug. All he admitted was alcoholism. The Islanders fans started the "crackhead" chants because the league would only classify his problems as "substance abuse". If you talk to anybody who knows Fleury personally (which I have), they will tell you that his problems are NOT drug related. (unless you consider alcohol a drug).

2). FoxLX mentioned he'd never be half the player he was when the Flames won the cup. The fact is that his best season was not 1989. His best seasons were 1990, 92, 93 and 2000. Factor in his physical play and plus minus, and he actually got better since the cup winning year.

3). I want to question how long you guys have been around hockey. I started playing hockey when 16 years ago when I was 2 and have watched it ever since. I know for a fact that pound for pound when Fleury can control his temper there is not a better player in the NHL. He can score, he can set up people, he can hit, he has fought in the past, he plays with emotion, and he is really good with young players.

I don't agree that he is washed up or would do teams more harm than good. When he can control himself (which he can do, just look at the 2000 Rangers year), he is among the best players in the NHL.

Name any other player that can play Fleury's style of play, producing as much as he has, with as many negative fans, at only 5 foot 6 182 pounds?

We can argue either way, but when you guys give responses such as "Boo Fleury", "Coke dealers would like it", "egg his house", "he's a clown", it makes me questions your hockey knowledge and makes me wonder if you are just conforming to the views of the harsh New York media.

My Ride
    NC1

Until he can resolve his personal problems, no one is willing to take a chance on him. Given his age, how many years does he have left anyway? It's sad to see him in this state, considering how bright everything was for him. I don't know exactly what his issues are, but I imagine it might have something to do with ....... Kennedy and Graham James. Anyway, it would only be fitting for him to finish up his career in CAlgary.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Re: ,,

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    All he admitted was alcoholism.
    and since when is that ok?

I know for a fact that pound for pound when Fleury can control his temper there is not a better player in the NHL.
    your kidding right? i could think of 20, maybe 30 players with more raw skill then theo.

Name any other player that can play Fleury's style of play, producing as much as he has, with as many negative fans, at only 5 foot 6 182 pounds?
    who cares about his height. ya thats great that hes 5 foot nothing and can play in the nhl. but so what. he was given a chance in new york and he fucked up.... so then chicago gave him a chance and he fucked up yet again. do i sence a pattern. and how could he have leaned how to clean up and deal with his issues, cause when the nhl wanted to help him, yes help him, he told them to shove it

My Ride

Default .

Hey 89CRX.

This is obviously highly an opinionated issue.

However, my comments about the alcoholism was towards all the people of the world who dubbed him a "crackhead".

You could name 20 or 30 players better than Fleury? There aren't even 10 players in the NHL that are his size. Have you ever played hockey? Obviously not. I've played high levels of hockey ever since I was age 13 when size became a factor. Look at the NHL these days, the players are larger than life. To go an 82 game season with that size of body against the size others are is amazing, let alone to produce like he did.

You say he screwed up in New York? Look at the numbers, in three seasons he produced 64, 74, and 63 points. Theres no doubt he hurt them when he had his problems, but when he didn't aside from Leetch he was their most valuable player.

You say deal with it? People have trouble quitting smoking. Try going through family problems (his wife has drug problems), the stresses of one of the hardest cities to play in in the NHL, fans such as the NY Islanders who call him a crackhead.

People don't realize that there is a difference between hockey and life. When you chant "Theo's a crackhead", and the media exploits him the way it did, to a man who is unstable in every area you are causing serious harm.

This goes way past if people like him as a player, he made mistakes and he admitted them, you can tell me you've never made a mistake?

The fact is that everybody should have gotten behind him and helped him through it, but instead people he thought were his fans turned on him and made things worse.

i would love to see fleury back in a flames jersey, he did so much for calgary and he always had a good time here. he will always be one of my favorite all tiem flames because of the things he did for us. but he does need to get his life straightened out and maybe comnig to play for calgary will help him with that.

My Ride

Default ..

Originally posted by bigboom
    i would love to see fleury back in a flames jersey, he did so much for calgary and he always had a good time here. he will always be one of my favorite all tiem flames because of the things he did for us. but he does need to get his life straightened out and maybe comnig to play for calgary will help him with that.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

flames who are the flames?

ohhh right there our so called hockey team.....

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Re: .

The fact is that everybody should have gotten behind him and helped him through it, but instead people he thought were his fans turned on him and made things worse.
    umm... actually the NHL did try to help him, he refussed.

and i have also played hockey my entire life and yes i was smaller then most players but that doesnt mean i get special treatment and neither should he when being compared to other players.

so what he's short.

and you say he had 60+ points... so what. he caused (yes he caused it) so much drama its sickening. having temper-tantrums on the ice. ok. then he went and did the same shit in chigaco. how do you figure hes not gonna pull the same cry-baby antics here?

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

plus when he played for CHI, he was horrible
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

but thats the thing, whe he was in calgary he was more controlled he never had those kinds of outbreaks. look at where most of his problems started...after he left calgary. who knows if he gets back into calgary and its setting, it might change him for the better. why rag on a guy for things he did after calgary when clearly he loves calgary and its team. give the guy some respect...he was the lone star in calgary for years propping the team up and all you guys can do is bash him?

sometimes you need to figure things out on your own. not have someone tell you how to do it or what programs you need to accomplish that. but then again ive always been a flames fan and have always had respect for fleury because of what he did in calgary.

lam-boy Guest

Originally posted by bigboom
    but thats the thing, whe he was in calgary he was more controlled he never had those kinds of outbreaks. look at where most of his problems started...after he left calgary. who knows if he gets back into calgary and its setting, it might change him for the better. why rag on a guy for things he did after calgary when clearly he loves calgary and its team. give the guy some respect...he was the lone star in calgary for years propping the team up and all you guys can do is bash him?

sometimes you need to figure things out on your own. not have someone tell you how to do it or what programs you need to accomplish that. but then again ive always been a flames fan and have always had respect for fleury because of what he did in calgary.

okay, hes trying to over come alcoholism. he was always an idependant guy was he not? so maybe it would make him feel better if he over came this problem by himself, without anyones help. i know for sure if he cleaned up his act iwould love to see him back in a flames jersey, he does nothing but bring back memories.

My Ride
    Deebee8

i loved watchin Fleury when i was younger and would like to see him back in the flames line up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast