Quantcast
3 Snowmobilers Killed Near Wainwright - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 Snowmobilers Killed Near Wainwright

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default 3 Snowmobilers Killed Near Wainwright

Be careful out there. I knew Krysti... very very sad.

EDMONTON - A young couple engaged to be married and expecting a child died Wednesday night along with a friend when their snowmobiles plunged over an embankment near Wainwright, RCMP say...

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz1px4owquY

RIP to everyone and condolences to all of their families.
    Last edited by project240; 03-23-2012 at 08:55 AM.

My Ride
    W204

Any pictures of said embankment? Or is it more a cliff...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

Bummer, two mutual friends. Sounds like they did nothing wrong, just misjudged where the embankment was ;-(

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

...she was pregnant too?!

The article says they're checking for alcohol, but, yeah, sounds like either it was just unfamiliar territory or judgement error.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Jesus. Snowmobiling is crazy stupid dangerous.

EVERY single guy I know that has a sled, knows at least a couple friends that have died doing it.

Nuts.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

First thing that came to mind... RIP

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Toma
    Jesus. Snowmobiling is crazy stupid dangerous.

EVERY single guy I know that has a sled, knows at least a couple friends that have died doing it.

Nuts.
    It is nuts. And the best part is there's no structure surrounding it for training, or safety, or anything at all to limit the freedoms of snowmobiling.

Two people who survived the crash say that four snowmobiles were travelling east in a field and suddenly came upon a six-metre embankment. All four machines flew off the incline and landed on a highway below.
    Sounds more like stupidity.
    Last edited by codetrap; 03-26-2012 at 08:47 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by codetrap
    It is nuts. And the best part is there's no structure surrounding it for training, or safety, or anything at all to limit the freedoms of snowmobiling.
    Thats the whole point... Just like skiing.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Sounds more like stupidity.
    They were in unfamiliar territory and definitely could have taken more precaution or slowed down. I heard from a friend familiar with the area that the dropoff literally comes out of nowhere and really should be marked for everyone's safety.

My Ride

Originally posted by project240

They were in unfamiliar territory and definitely could have taken more precaution or slowed down. I heard from a friend familiar with the area that the dropoff literally comes out of nowhere and really should be marked for everyone's safety.
    Seriously?!? Do you agree with your friend that the government (because who else will do it) should go comb the countryside marking off unsafe drop-offs so that on the off chance a snowmobiler comes that way they can know to be safe and slow down?

Maybe while they're at it they can paint all the trees with glow in the dark paint to make sure that people can see them in the dark as well?

Or, maybe these idiots that are out riding these sleds could slow the fuck down if they're not familiar with the area, and maybe not kill themselves. I think we should all be thankful that these particular darwin award winners didn't take out any cars as they pancaked onto the highway.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Seriously?!? Do you agree with your friend that the government (because who else will do it) should go comb the countryside marking off unsafe drop-offs so that on the off chance a snowmobiler comes that way they can know to be safe and slow down?

Maybe while they're at it they can paint all the trees with glow in the dark paint to make sure that people can see them in the dark as well?

Or, maybe these idiots that are out riding these sleds could slow the fuck down if they're not familiar with the area, and maybe not kill themselves. I think we should all be thankful that these particular darwin award winners didn't take out any cars as they pancaked onto the highway.

This particular spot is supposedly right next to a highway and probably could easily be marked. I also said they probably could/should have be going slower as well. Personally, I don't snowmobile, but I would think most people would take precaution, especially in areas they don't know.

Honestly though, you don't even know what happened, you don't know how fast they were going, so who the fuck are you to have the audacity to start classifying all snowmobilers as idiots?

Maybe if your friend, brother, sister, mother or father died you'd get off your high horse and realize that accidents can happen or would you still call them an idiot as well you fucking heartless clown?
    Last edited by project240; 03-26-2012 at 08:48 PM.

My Ride
    W204

Maybe if your friend, brother, sister, mother or father died you'd get off your high horse and realize that accidents can happen or would you still call them an idiot as well you fucking heartless clown?
    If my friend/brother/sister/mother/sister died as a result of speeding in their snowmobile in unfamiliar territory and flying off a cliff, yes I'd call them idiots. It wouldn't make me any less sad and heartbroken but the truth is, YES THEY WOULD STILL BE FUCKING IDIOTS and I would be forever mad at their choices.

But you are correct. codetrap should NOT be making assumptions that they were speeding.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

God, some people will pretty much stop at nothing to try to make themselves feel superior to others..
    Bought not built!

My Ride

Or maybe I learned by hard experience? Like when I was 17 and was riding a snowmobile without sufficient experience or knowledge about the area I was riding in, and slammed into a chain link gate that was across a private road. Destroyed the snow mobile and busted myself up fairly well.

Who's fault was it? The owner of the gate? Maybe the owner of the snowmobile that I destroyed? Maybe it was the terrain? Or, maybe it was my fault for being too fucking stupid to know better?

Incidentally, I didn't say they were speeding. I said they needed to slow down in an area they were unfamiliar with. Seems to be pretty self explanatory since they went off an embankment and pancaked onto a highway.

Edit: Also to note, I do feel bad for the families of these people. It's going to be a difficult road for them to recover, if they ever do, from their loss.
    Last edited by codetrap; 03-27-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Got to side with codetrap on this one and even if they were familiar with the area, they obviously were in the wrong in some fashion here. I used to ride many moons ago, in-laws owned a Ski-Doo shop and I can say it is a great and mostly unregulated sport, but it is just so easy to get in over one's head - the machines go crazy fast and all of a sudden one can be in a very dangerous situation just because of the type of surroundings one is operating in, white sky, white landscape and sometimes very flat light. Now add in the fact that these people were out at 9;45PM at night - this makes things even more dangerous as it is just so ridiculously easy to overdrive a sled's lights.

As to flagging dangerous areas, where do you start as they are potentially everywhere - do you flag the open irrigation ditches that are everywhere in southern Alberta, do you flag every fence line, every embankment adjacent to every highway because this dangerous shit is everywhere. Man, I do remember the thrill of sledding across open country, but do also remember how many dangerous situations there were because of taking what seemed to be a harmless little extra chance in an open field or on some ridge.

It comes down to the sled operator and having to be so very aware of where you are - you are probably not operating your sled in a controlled (read: groomed trails) environment and as such, dangers do exist and will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. That said, I do sympathize with the grieving families in this situation, tough times indeed.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by kevie88
    God, some people will pretty much stop at nothing to try to make themselves feel superior to others..
    Second-guessing the actions of dead people does seem to be a rather popular thing these days.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Second-guessing the actions of dead people does seem to be a rather popular thing these days.

He truly is an hero [sic] for our times....

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

RIP

But seriously, I can't believe a pregnant woman thought it was safe enough for her to go snowmobiling. And can't believe the husband would even allow that. If they were casually snowmobiling the husband and their friends would avoid dropoffs and I don't believe that is hard to spot...

"Don't worry guys, she has a helmet, we're good."

Originally posted by Kg810
    RIP

But seriously, I can't believe a pregnant woman thought it was safe enough for her to go snowmobiling. And can't believe the husband would even allow that. If they were casually snowmobiling the husband and their friends would avoid dropoffs and I don't believe that is hard to spot...

"Don't worry guys, she has a helmet, we're good."

Being 4 months pregnant does not make most women invalids - real problem here was probably a combination of darkness, maybe a bit too much speed resulting in them over driving their sled lights and possibly also being unfamiliar with where they were or being somewhat disoriented with where they were because of the darkness. Just theorizing though - real situation could've been something wildly different as well.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Using that logic you should be arguing that women should never be allowed out of the home when pregnant as they could be injured or killed. Husband should have controlled that woman!!

-Misogynist much?
    Bought not built!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast