Quantcast
24 Days in May/June - Balkans, Baltics, or Scandinavia? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 24 Days in May/June - Balkans, Baltics, or Scandinavia?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default 24 Days in May/June - Balkans, Baltics, or Scandinavia?

I have a 24 day trip coming up and I'm conflicted between 3 choices:

Balkans:
    Start in Sofia, Bulgaria
    Macedonia
    Albania
    Montenegro
    Bosnia
    End in Croatia or Slovenia or Serbia

May be too much for 3.5 weeks so likely need to cut out a place or two. Not usre how much time I'd spend in Macedonia or Albania or Montenegro though.

Baltics:
    Start in Berlin, Germany
    Train to Warsaw, Poland (already spent time in Southern Poland)
    Lithuania
    Latvia
    End in Estonia or Finland

Scandinavia:
    Start in Oslo, Norway
    Bergen
    Fjords
    Lillehammer
    Stockholm
    End in Helsinki Finland or Copenhagen Denmark

I have too many personal considerations to list between these trips (mostly tying them into future trips like the Transmongolian Railway for the Baltics and Turkey / Romania / Hungary for the Balkans), so I'm more just looking for input as to if anyone has any favourite places, advice on transport, 'must-sees' or 'must-stay' places that will help me lean towards one option over another.

Years ago I rented a car in Budapest and drove down through Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia and into Bosnia. I ultimtley crossed into Italy by Ferry but the car was sweet as it allowed flexibility that my timeline needed. As I am sure you know train is slow but it is also part fo the adventure.

The car I rented was a Diesel Peugot and the rental agency allowed it into the Balkan countries. I would rate Croatia extremly high on spending time in (Pula, Opatia, Split and Dubrovnik) Ever thought of continuing further south through to Grecce and perhaps take in some of the islands/Corfu?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Interesting. I can't see renting a car since I'll be flying solo and enjoy partying. Drinking and driving isn't cool anywhere.

Any recommendations from Serbia, Slovenia or Bosnia?

What did you like so much abotu Pula, Opatia, Split and Dubrovnik?

I've been to Greece and Italy before for about a month each.

Just came across this cruise in Scandinavia for $450. Could be fun...cruising alone seems weird but I'd probably have a good time anyways. Pretty cheap way to see some of Scandinavia really. I've got friends in Bergen so maybe I'd just get off there!
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...02&date=201204

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I'm leaning towards Western Scandinavia now because it fits my limited time and doesn't fit in with future planned trips.

Stockholm
    Ahus (buddy owns a nice restaurant / bar there I can stay with)
    Copenhagen
    Goteborg (know a hot Swedish gal I can stay with)
    Oslo
    Bergen (know a hot Norwegian gal who should hook me up with a trip out to the Fjords).

Anyone have suggestions for things to do in these cities? Any other towns or places along the way that are worth a stop? I'm thinking I may try to couch surf the entire trip to save $ and meet hot local girls but thoughts on transport between destinations would be appreciated too!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

IMO it's too early in the season to go to Montenegro and Croatia in May/June. If partying is high on the list you want to go there Mid July to Mid August.

My Ride

Nice to see people wanting to visit the home country!

I'd probably stay away from Albania all together. Montenegro is beautiful, Serbia has cleaned up allot and became fairly westernized compared to the 90's and has great culture/festivities/nightlife, Macedonia i hear is real nice, Slovenia is nice, Bosnia depends on which part/cities you want to go to.... Croatia is probably the nicest of them scenic wise if you were to go to the Istra region.

But like Aleks said, depends what time of the year you go.

My Ride
    G6

I can't say which way I'd go, but a couple things to keep in mind:
    1) If you go to Poland, the Euro Cup is on for most of June.
    2) If you go to Bulgaria, why Sofia? Cooler places to see I'm told. I've heard Sunny Beach, Varna, and Golden Sands are all way better.
    3) Budapest is a MUST if you so the Balkans. Not sure why you'd wanna go to Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, or Serbia though.

I'm hitting Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland and Portugal myself this summer; starting a couple weeks after you from the sound of it. Should be pretty cool.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Yea, heard lots about Budapest. It's supposed to be great, but doesn't seem to fit in well with this trip. I've spent a lot of time in Germany, Poland and Portugal if you have any questions.

Bulgaria, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro & Serbia appeal to me because they're less traveled and on their way up. That's why I think I need more time though. Countries like that take a bit more to get into and understand.

I'm pretty sure Scandinavia will be the choice. The flights, timing, and girls I know there should ensure an awesome time!

My Ride
    is Invisible

Anywhere on the Adriatic coast will be enjoyable for you.

The further u get inland in a specific country the more dull it is, unless you hit up the major cities.

I say you pay a visit to all of the Balkan countries you have listed, you will really enjoy your time.

The food is unbelievable, the people are great, the beaches are amazing(especially in Croatia), everything is cheap and the girls are amazing.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by davidI
    I've spent a lot of time in Germany, Poland and Portugal if you have any questions.
    Pretty sure I've got you beat time wise in Germany and Poland (born there ), but had a question for you about Portugal. I'm thinking of heading to Lagos for a week. Have you been? Any other worthy destinations to hit in Portugal?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Feruk

Pretty sure I've got you beat time wise in Germany and Poland (born there ), but had a question for you about Portugal. I'm thinking of heading to Lagos for a week. Have you been? Any other worthy destinations to hit in Portugal?
    Haha, you likely do have me beat on Germany and Polan. I was in Germany yesterday though and have spent a few months there in total. I spent a few weeks in Aachen in February for Carnaval and some good ol' fashioned beer drinking. Great fun.

Lagos, Portugal is described as a 'blackhole of debauchary'. Quite likely one of the best places I've ever been, which is why I'll never go back. I made some wicked life-long friends there and think a return visit would be a disappointment.

The "Rising Cock Hostel" is a great place to stay with mama and papa (old couple who run it). There are a bunch of different bars on with drink deals every night. I can't remember all the details and it's been a while since I've been there but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Your days are best spent nursing your hangover on Batato or Patato beach or whatever it's called. Beautiful spot full of hot women and cliff jumping when the tide is right. There's a nice seafood restaurant on the bluffs as well, and a booze cruise on Fridays or Saturdays from what I recall. A great place!!

My Ride
    G6

Would you say it's a good place to take a girlfriend? Not flying solo, so won't be enjoying the debauchary quite the same.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

The beaches are beautiful. I'm sure it would still be a good place to take a girl, I just can't give you any recommendations for that!

You'd probably be more interested in the sea food restaurants, boat tours etc. The beaches will definitely make her happy though.

Shame you can't enjoy the 5 euro all-you-can-eat spaghetti, followed by 5 euro all-you-can-drink beer, followed by the international beer funnel competition and the seven deadly sins (shooter game) lol

My Ride
    G6

Shame you can't enjoy the 5 euro all-you-can-eat spaghetti, followed by 5 euro all-you-can-drink beer, followed by the international beer funnel competition and the seven deadly sins (shooter game) lol
    Actually I think she'd be as interested in all that. Advantages of not dating a snob. Do you remember the name of the place that was at?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Feruk

Actually I think she'd be as interested in all that. Advantages of not dating a snob. Do you remember the name of the place that was at?
    Casa Rosa for the beers and spaghetti.

Some Monkeys place for the Funnels.

Whytes for the 9 Deadly Sins

Inside-Out had delicious fishbowls too.

They may have changed names or deals, it has been 4 or 5 years since I was there...

I'm leaning towards Western Scandinavia now because it fits my limited time and doesn't fit in with future planned trips.

Stockholm
    Ahus (buddy owns a nice restaurant / bar there I can stay with)
    Copenhagen
    Goteborg (know a hot Swedish gal I can stay with)
    Oslo
    Bergen (know a hot Norwegian gal who should hook me up with a trip out to the Fjords).

Anyone have suggestions for things to do in these cities? Any other towns or places along the way that are worth a stop? I'm thinking I may try to couch surf the entire trip to save $ and meet hot local girls but thoughts on transport between destinations would be appreciated too!
    I've been to Stockholm, Ahus, Copenhagen and Goteborg but never made it to Norway.

If you have people to see and take you around, it will make the trip. Shit is spread out there and you need to know where to go and how to get there, though train and buses are well run.

Stockholm is a great city - take a cruise through all the islands in the archipelago, 100% worth spending a day doing. We hung out on a tiny island called Grinda which was nice, but there are thousands of other islands to choose from.

Ahus is okay, we were there in August and it was a ghost town, which is surprising considering its a summer town and people go there for the beach. Maybe b/c it was pretty cold for a beach - the Baltic is never really warm. But, if you have someone who knows the area, it could be a lot of fun. This is also where Absolut vodka is from - but possibly the most expensive place to get Absolut.

Copenhagen is great! Rent a bike and explore the city. The harbour is nice, there is a great park/garden/castle in the city centre, the street life is nice, beer is cheaper than Sweden but everything else is goddamn expensive. We did a harbour cruise, which was a nice way to see the city.

Goteborg is definitely Sweden's rock n roll city. Seems like everyone is fully tattooed and in a metal band, which is awesome if that's what you're into. I only had a day here, so can't comment too much, but it was very laid back and surprisingly cheap compared to Stockholm or Malmö. You can take a train easily from Goteborg to Copenhagen.

Norway - I haven't been, but it's goddamn pricey.

From what I was told by friends who tried couch surfing in Scandinvia, don't bother trying unless you're a young, good looking girl and want to stay with a socially retarded viking. Hostels in Scandinavia are pricey by euro standards, but are very clean. Budget around $70-100 per night for accommodations.

As for your other options, the Baltics are a bit disappointing. North Poland is supposed to be nice in summer, around Gdansk and Sopot but it will still be cool in June. Villinus is supposed to be nice but I never did make it there. Riga, Latvia is so-so; nothing noteworthy aside from some interesting architecture and a sad history. Tallin, Estonia is, however, quite nice. Great medieval centre, and a modern downtown. Plus it's cheap and has some good food. Helsinki is a very nice city too, and can be reached from Tallinn in 3 hours by a ferry full of drunk Fins (though Fins are always drunk). My advice if you want to go this general direction is to skip Lithuania/Poland/Lativa and do Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Helsinki. Not making it to St. Pete's is a huge regret from my trip.

Last option of the former Yugo states is interesting. I could never say enough great things about the Dalmatia cost from Dubrovnik up to Zadar. I would spend two weeks doing that - great beaches, food , booze and girls. Hvar is the big party spot for Croat's rich and famous which is a nice island of the coast from Split. On our short drive through Bosnia, I can honestly say it's a long way from being as developed as Croatia. I feel like Albania-Macedonia would be disappointing. Slovenia is supposed to be quite plain as well.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Awesome Core_upt - great info! Thanks!

Good news is that I've got the contacts for some girls I met in SE Asia who live in Oslo and Stockholm as well. Just gotta try and find a gal in Copenhagen now.

I've just sent my passport in so it looks like I'll have time in July / August too. I'll probably check out Scotland and Ireland and more of the UK but may have time for some of the Baltics or Balkans as well.