Quantcast
Do i have to replace my rotors everytime i replace my brake pads? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Do i have to replace my rotors everytime i replace my brake pads?

Default Do i have to replace my rotors everytime i replace my brake pads?

I took my car in for service today to Lexus of Calgary, apparently I need new front brakes.

The pads and rotors were replaced rougly 35k km ago, no surprise i need new pads. What did surprise me though was they stated that i need new rotors too, only after 35k km. I inquired about this and they said it's pretty standard due to high performance brakes in the IS350, that it's always recommended to replace the pads and rotors. Tech said the rotors are too low to machine too - which doesn't make sense after 35k of regular driving.

I called Lexus of Edmonton and they didn't state the "high performance" reason for brake replacment, but they did say when they service the front brakes, they never machine but instead replace the rotors and pads.

So....can you guys tell me if this in fact the case? i've had tons of different cars from Lexus to BMW to simple Honda's and Toyota's, but i've never had tochange the rotors after 35k and what not. They've always been machined, then after it hits the point of no return, they are then replaced - this is usually say after 2 or 3 pad replacements.

Input would be great, just making sure i am not getting ripped.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 03-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Audi says the same thing.

I'm on my second set of pads up front, original pads rear, original rotors front and rear. Still tons of meat and no warping.

Don't bother if they are in good shape.

Get them to give you a reading of how thin the rotor is. Compare to FSM recommended minimum.

If you don't trust their measurement, get somebody else to do it.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

BMW recommends that you change rotors along with pads at the same time...

"designed to eat your rotors to give that maximum braking ability"

I've had an IS350 and no, you don't need to change the rotors eveytime you change the pads. usually 2 pads per rotor. As per above, ask them for measurements.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

most shops don't bother turning rotors any more, heck, most shops don't even have the equipment to turn them. Rotors are cheap enough 9/10 that the cost difference between turning them and flat out replacing them are so close, most people just opt to replace them.

Last time I checked, to have your rotors turned, was anywhere between $30-$50 a rotor, and replacement rotors are usually in the $45-$80 range. Now being a lexus, they may have the rotors priced higher. Heck, last rotors I replaced on the old farm truck (F-350) the front rotors were $145 each from crappy tire, and those rotors are freaking BIG!

I *HIGHLY* doubt that after 35k your rotors need replacing, at most i would say having the lip filed off should suffice around the outer ring if there is one. After that, taking a straight edge across the surfaces of the rotor to make sure they are flush. After 35k, the only reason why they might need to be turned is if you caught some road debris between the pads and the rotor and caused some serious gouging.

just my $0.02 without actually being able to inspect them myself. Having said that, I can take a look at them for you.

*edit* i suppose I should put the caveat in there that the prices I quoted are for your every day run of the mill cars. I have no idea what Lexus parts are going to cost you.
    Last edited by spikerS; 03-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

The pricks there wouldn't let me just swap the pads and insisted i had to change everything, said they can't release the car in that condition whatever that means - my car is mint.

I did ask for a measurement and they said it was too low, that i burned off the rotors in 35k.

Brake job cost me $750 plus gst....may be more thoguh, i never know till i get there. Last time it was a $1k for everything.
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

ouch. ever tried to replace the pads and rotors yourself?
    honestly it takes about an hour to do both the fronts and rears, not that difficult.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    The pricks there wouldn't let me just swap the pads and insisted i had to change everything, said they can't release the car in that condition whatever that means - my car is mint.

I did ask for a measurement and they said it was too low, that i burned off the rotors in 35k.

Brake job cost me $750 plus gst....may be more thoguh, i never know till i get there. Last time it was a $1k for everything.
    If they won't release the car, you charge them with theft. They have no authority to with hold your car unless you actually owe them money. All that is, is a scare tactic to get you to agree to pay for more.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    growls

If they deem your car as unsafe, all they realistically should be doing is marking it down on the RO so it isn't their responsibility should anything happen to you or the car. I don't think they're allowed to hold it :S

Last edited by Cos; 01-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Wow that was one aggressive service writer.

Spikers is right man, for the common everyday car.

Lexus and anything in that class, I would for sure be doing a very light cut on the rotors and re-using them.

and as everyone else has stated. They can not hold your car, its just an up sell tactic used by service writers who are paid on the amount of work they can sell.

My Ride
    oooo

Time to find a TuneDub or Vitek's for Lexus products.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    2005 F350

at my work place, we never turn rotors. ever.

the reason why it is recommended to replace at the same time is because manufacturers do not put super thick rotors on normal vehicles to save on weight which equals better handling and fuel economy. it's not like the old days where they just put a solid thick disc on your car...

they are designed to wear at an even rate, together.

can you get away with doing the pads only? maybe. i personally wouldn't. trying to save a little money can end up costing you more in labor afterwards. especially when you're talking about brakes.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

The is350 develop a lip on the outer part of the rotor due to the high metallic brake pads and if you measure the rotors they would be below minimum spec. This is very common on the is250, is350 and isf. It's all part of the car you arnt the only one to have such costs for a brake service on this model.

Thanks for the info guys.

This is my third Lexus, and first i've been held hostage to this shit. My first one was an IS300 and never did I have to replace the rotors. Second is an RX330, i just recently replaced the rotors all around, but that's because i had like 170xxx km on that bitch. This IS350 is my third Lex. I understand the gotta pay to play thing, but this is starting to get ridiculous. Even when i go in, I get dinged for a $65 cabin airfilter without my permission.

The last time I was there with my RX, the tech tossed my K&N airfilter, stating it was too dirty and tossed in a new stock filter, fuckers charged me for that too. Suffice to say, after I went over the bill at home, I went back the next day and got my K&N air filter back plus a credit for the stock filter...after I talked to the service advisor about this BS. The tech also lost a screw on my air housing unit, which i made them replace. And when I picked up the suv, the tech because he did the plugs, disconnected the battery and didn't set anything up - so nav was messed, power windows and sunroof wasn't even initialized. I pay a premium for the service, and it was amateur to say the least.

Anyways, I think it's time to part ways with LOC...getting too greedy they are.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

who's the service adviser you're dealing with? i'll be sure to stay away from him.

Kinda appreciate having a beater right now aha. Just got 4 rotors and ceramic pads all around for $220 in the states. Installing them this weekend. Brakes are super easy to do yourself if you're willing, though I guess I'd be hesitant on working on a lexus myself