Quantcast
Acura Service B1 Ripoff - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Acura Service B1 Ripoff

My Ride
    07 TSX / 01 Ninja 500

Default Acura Service B1 Ripoff

Do I actually need to get service done at my Acura dealership for my extended warranty to be valid? I drive an 07 TSX.

I got my service B1 light on, which is inspection, service breaks, oil change, tire rotation(which I do myself anyway).

Seems like such a rip for $260+ taxes (includes $30 extra for synthetic oil change.

Any thoughts?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Default Re: Acura Service B1 Ripoff

Originally posted by kaddy
    Do I actually need to get service done at my Acura dealership for my extended warranty to be valid? I drive an 07 TSX.

I got my service B1 light on, which is inspection, service breaks, oil change, tire rotation(which I do myself anyway).

Seems like such a rip for $260+ taxes (includes $30 extra for synthetic oil change.

Any thoughts?
    It sounds fair, it appears they've already built in a break on the service price as part of the package. I say take it!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Acura Service B1 Ripoff

Originally posted by kaddy
    tire rotation(which I do myself anyway).
    a tire rotation usually involves balancing the rears before rotating them to the front as well

My Ride
    NC1

Dealers are usually more expensive, flat rate for those jobs. No you don't need to get it done there. You can get it done at any shop. Usually if your tires don't need to be rotated, they will not charge you for it. Should you sell your car it does look better if the maintenance services were done at the dealer.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

It depends on what the terms of your extended warranty are.
    Vettel's #1

The Honda/Acura B1 service IS a rip off.

It's basically an oil change and tire rotation with a suspension/brake inspection.

The only reason to spend $150-200 more than you have to would be if you want a perfect record of maintenance at the dealership.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I would definately check because of the extended warranty.

With Mercedes, if the dealer doesn't do your oil changes, or the car isn't sold by a Mercedes dealer, you don't even qualify to buy extended warranty. Same restrictions apply for extended warranty to remain effective.

They can do this because it's not the standard warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers have some sort of a similar clause to promote spending at the dealerships.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a HEMI

extended warrenty doesn't do shit. it doesn't protect you if your suspension or brakes or whatever gives up. theres only a few things that extended warranty will cover. like the super expensive stuff. Window motors, transmission, engine..etc. I worked at acura, mazda, and hyundai as a service advisor. trust me on that one. So going to acura to do a b1 service to keep up with your extended warranty is bullshit.

Don't expect the dealer to warranty rattles and clunks like before. That shit is over and they'll charge you for diagnostic fee, 0.5hr or a full 1.0hr.

Your 80,000km 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is obviously over. You also have a 5 year, 100,000km warranty on your power train. Should be over as well. If your vehicle has been up to date with its inspections and services. You can technically go else where.

You should from now on.

Oil Change - duh. ALL DEALERS will do a visual inspection as part of their service while your oil is being changed. Its pretty much mandatory. So don't fall for those " 49.95$ oil change w/free visual inspection (value at $60.00)" don't fall for that. they inspect either way.

Transmission fluid flush - every 50,000km or so. Just check it monthly to see if its still redish. If its black and looks really thin and dirty, time to change it. Winter can cause your transmission to buck and harsh during gear changes after car is warmed up if the fluid is trash.

Alignment after winter - to save your tires because winter is pretty harsh on your suspension components.

Tire rotation every oil change - save your tires. the price for tire rotation is cheaper than buying new tires. and NO they do not re-balance your rear wheels. I don't know where you go, but Im pretty sure all dealers don't do that during rotation. Also, during rotation they usually take a peak at your brakes for free.

Brake service - once every year either before or after winter. I usually do it before. Prevent seizing, uneven pad wear and plain o'l crap stuck in the caliper and sliders. They clean and lube up everything.

Your car will behave and drive better if you keep up with these simple services. Don't follow their scheduled services. Follow the services above and you'll be fine.
    2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
    2006 Nissan Altima V6 SE
    2006 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R
    2000 Acura 1.6* EL

DNT Paintless Dent Repair - Technician

Learning how to change your air filter along with the cabin filter will save you $60-100 and it takes about 5-10 minutes to do both.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Consider yourself lucky. My services are $350 + bud
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

luxor Guest

Originally posted by cycosis
    Consider yourself lucky. My services are $350 + bud
    Cool story bro.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

B1 is a complete ripoff, i never got the tire rotation so it felt even worse.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by gpomp
    B1 is a complete ripoff, i never got the tire rotation so it felt even worse.
    Not this one, they're giving him breaks on it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    is Invisible

Default Re: Re: Acura Service B1 Ripoff

It sounds fair, it appears they've already built in a break on the service price as part of the package. I say take it!
    I sea what you did there!

My Ride
    07 TSX / 01 Ninja 500

Late update...

Sounds fair for what they did.

Only problem I have is I told the lady I wanted a tire rotation (included, but they took off $20 cause the mechanic didn't want to do it).

They said to install your summer tires. I have 2 sets of factory rims, and I'm assuming the mechanic assumed I was just swapping the rubber back and forth .
    Last edited by kaddy; 04-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.