Quantcast
Car Damage Compensation by Condo Management? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Damage Compensation by Condo Management?

My Ride
    FA5

Thumbs down Car Damage Compensation by Condo Management?

So this past weekend we were at a downtown condo across from the Stampede Grounds visiting a friend's new place there. We get a visitor spot in the underground parkade and use the buzzer code to gain entry. I was riding shotgun at the time. The keypad is set into a brick decorative stand about 2'x1'x4' high, pretty narrow as the backside is where exit traffic coming up would go.

On our way out that night, as we travel up the exit ramp a police cruiser was blocking that side. So naturally we travel slowly up the ramp on the correct side, check for traffic and cut into the "entry" side to drive past the officer. Driving past the officer we make eye contact and he doesn't say anything.

As we pass the cruiser, we start to cut back into the correct side of traffic when suddenly we hear a loud crunch! Eardrum-exploding scraping sounds ensued momentarily.

Of course we stop immediately and I try to open the door, but there's extra resistance so I stopped. The officer tells us to keep the car stopped and I poke my head out the window......

Someone had absolutely demolished the brick keypad stand in a hit and run (hence why the officer was there), and our car had turned at just the right angle directly into it --> Wedging the biggest block of bricks btwn the wheel and the passenger rocker panel/side skirt.

From the way we were coming up and the height of the debris, there was no hope of seeing what was there. Being at the top of a hill it was a natural blind spot. NO pylons or traffic aversion by the security guards were done! The only thing was the cruiser parked several meters behind on the ramp side (which IMO didn't do much). The security guard argued that that thing was always there but being visitors for the first time and rarely having to go into underground parkades like this, I did not find that a valid argument. There was never a big-ass pile of brick debris there before either.

We steer the other way and backup. At this point, it looks like it had pushed the skirt towards the back of the car, bending the fender in the process and impeding the swing of the door. All the while, there were two security guards standing there for the building watching this all happen. Did not do a damn thing. The police cruiser was also parked maybe 3 meters behind the debris. Now we talked to the officer, got the case number for the hit and run, his name/badge/unit#. Took a ton of pictures and got the security guard's name and number of the condo management company.

We called the company today and they basically told us to pound sand and that they would absolutely not compensate us. Even with the incompetence of the security guards, who should have in my opinion at least help direct traffic in/out. She suggested we "write a letter to her which she will then pass to the board" but that was basically her way of telling us to take a long walk off a short dock.

Now the insurance company says that we are hooped and it is considered a single vehicle accident, meaning paying the deductible and having premiums go up if we claim.

Sorry for the pageful of words but I feel the details are important. Overall we felt that the building/building security handled the scene very poorly and made no attempts to alleviate the situation.

What are your thoughts beyonders??? Help is appreciated!
    Last edited by IncredibleToad; 04-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.

My Ride
    Cayman

dont most underground parking lots have signs that say "park at your own risk and the building cant be held liable for any damage to the car"?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hate to break it to you, but you drove into a stationary object.
    that is your problem, and it's up to you or your insurance to cover it. the condo board/company have no obligation to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I think it on you, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Your more than likely going to have to pay for it or claim it.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Wouldn't you think the cop blocking your way would be some sort of sign?

Pay up! It's your fault

My Ride
    FA5

You don't usually play devil's advocate when unlucky sh*t like this happens to someone closer to you. Valid points all.

@Proyecto2000: Good call I don't recall seeing it but I think we get so used to seeing them we hardly think about them....but does a hell of a job at covering their asses which I would have done too haha

@eglove: We already took caution and exited slowly, and of course we tried to get back onto the correct side of traffic sooner rather than later as we would have been blocking traffic going into the parkade. Obviously didn't cut right in front of the cop abruptly, we eased back into our lane. Not everyday that this sort of property damage happens, don't you .think?

Originally posted by eglove
    Wouldn't you think the cop blocking your way would be some sort of sign?

Pay up! It's your fault
    I can see how it could happen, cops could be at a condo for any number of reasons, I would immediately think DD not debris on the roadway. Also on some of those condo parkade ramps the incline is so steep you'd have to open your sun roof and stand on your seat to see something lieing on the ground.

I don't know anything about the legality of the issue but regardless it doesn't sound like proper preventative measures were taken so best of luck!

My Ride
    FA5

It was a steep ramp, J-hop was thinking there. At the angle we were going up and with the police there, it was not possible to see (absolutely a blind spot) or anticipate something like that.

Guaranteed if it was a drunk passed out on the ramp exit there would have been the police/security routing traffic around it.

Anyway the driver will talk to the student legal assistance office at UC and see if there's anything to be done. Doesn't hurt to ask around

Thanks for the input so far!

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Insteads of getting out and asking the cop what was up, you went and drove against the correct way the parkade funcionted, EXITING through the ENTRANCE, hence the "do not enter" sign I'm sure would be posted somewhere.

It's the WRONG way for a reason.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If something from the condo fell on your vehicle, yes.

If you DROVE into something, no.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by Kijho
    Insteads of getting out and asking the cop what was up, you went and drove against the correct way the parkade funcionted, EXITING through the ENTRANCE, hence the "do not enter" sign I'm sure would be posted somewhere.

the OP's friend will probably end up paying for his mistake but this comment is just stupid.

does anyone actually "get out of their car" to talk to a cop unless directed to do so by that cop?

i would've drove around his ass as well. except my truck would've rolled over the pile of bricks and i would be on my merry way.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    FA5

Originally posted by Kijho

Blatant assumptions. I'm sure most people would have done the same thing, approaching slowly and driving around the police with caution. The debris on the exit side of the parkade effectively closed off that road so the police parked there was to close it off.

But insteads, your spellings functions is brokenz!11!1!.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by IncredibleToad
    But insteads, your spellings functions is brokenz!11!
    1!.
    So is yours.

My Ride
    FA5

Yeahhh the Altima coupe's clearance doesn't quite match that of a truck unfortunately.

My Ride
    FA5

Originally posted by G-ZUS

So is yours.
    Purposefully. It's early, go get yourself a coffee!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances but OP, your buddy is SOL. To rub salt into the wound, if he attempts to claim it through insurance it would count as an at-fault collision. Sorry man.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This is indeed unfortunate. It is one of those situations where there really isn't fault to be had. A true "accident".

However, as a true accident, nobody is really to blame. Which means if your buddy wants it fixed - that is what insurance is for.

My Ride
    FA5

Thanks for the feedback all. Now we are just waiting for the apprasial appointment and decide from there.

Just unlucky, end of story.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast