Quantcast
Wireless issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wireless issues

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Default Wireless issues

hello All,

I am having some issues with my wireless network in my condo. Unfortunatley none of the wiring is cat-5e so wireless is my only choice.

I have the router/modem combo that telus provides..it is wireless N.

On my laptop I can download at full speed, normally around 1.6mb/s regardless of location, but on my desktop which has a wireless USB plugged in, it cannot. It is extremely slow and a pain in the ass if you will.

I want to be able to stream my MKVs via ps3 media server to my ps3, but anytime it exceeds 10mbps it stutters or freezes. But when I do a speed test I again get the full 15+ mbps. So the problem is the desktop, could this be just the USBs misbehaviour?

Or should I look into buying a dual band router? and if i do, can i just plug it into the shaw modem/router combo?

Thank you

My Ride
    Has four wheels

If your laptop is okay 100% of the time, it leads me to think that it might be the USB.

Wireless networks can be pretty iffy, especially for HD video streaming. But you said no CAT5e, so you're SOL.

If you want to do some testing without spending a dime, try installing PS3 Media Server on your laptop, which you said is okay on the wireless. If that streams fine, buy a new wireless adapter for your desktop.

You could also try changing the channel on your wireless router. If your neighbours are using the same channel as you, it could cause interference.

If it were my choice, I'd just have the wiring ripped out and CAT5e or CAT6 installed. 1Gbps wired FTW.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

The above is correct, one thing to ad. If you are trying to watch an HD mkv file, it pretty much wont work on N, its not fast enough. That is why i wired my entire house in cat5.Wireless just doesnt work for streaming. 720p is iffy, skips every like 2 minutes. 1080p aint happening. If you go low def it should be ok...but whats the fun in that.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

wireless 802.11 b/g/n USB devices are bad if you cheap out ... the expensive ones tend to perform a lot better

My Ride
    Hatred

If you have a water heating line through your condo you can drill out a hole under it through all the walls to run cat5 from the router to the desktop. I did this when I lived in a condo to run cat5 from the router in a second bedroom to my xbox and ps3 in the living room. No one will notice the holes if you keep them close to the pipe.
    -U

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Unknown303
    If you have a water heating line through your condo you can drill out a hole under it through all the walls to run cat5 from the router to the desktop. I did this when I lived in a condo to run cat5 from the router in a second bedroom to my xbox and ps3 in the living room. No one will notice the holes if you keep them close to the pipe.
    I think you're on to something here.

Seriously, you just need one cable, right? Put the router next to your desktop, and you just need one CAT5e running from the router to your living room. There's got to be a way you can do that.

I agree with what sr20s14zenki said. I've never tried HD video over wireless, so I can't say that I've experienced it. When we moved, I made sure the place was wired with CAT5e going everywhere, and thats when I really started doing streaming video. I never tried the wireless cause I knew it wouldn't be worth the effort.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

Just get a dlink power line Ethernet kit they work great!

Call telus and get the new actiontec router. They will either send it to you or youll have to pick up at a corporate store. be sure to call the store and double check also bring in the old one to swap. its a common router issue on telus‘ behalf

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Stealth22
    I think you're on to something here.

Seriously, you just need one cable, right? Put the router next to your desktop, and you just need one CAT5e running from the router to your living room. There's got to be a way you can do that.

I agree with what sr20s14zenki said. I've never tried HD video over wireless, so I can't say that I've experienced it. When we moved, I made sure the place was wired with CAT5e going everywhere, and thats when I really started doing streaming video. I never tried the wireless cause I knew it wouldn't be worth the effort.
    It is kind of a hack and slash route but my god did I like having my consoles hardwired to the router rather than relying on wifi. Depending on what coverings you have for the hotwater lines it's pretty much undetectable.
    -U

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Try it without encrpytion first.

I am able to stream 1080p video using a G router in bridge mode (2wire 2700bg) with no issue.

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

i'll try sans encryption tonight...thanks for the suggestions guys.

egmilano, i think ih ave the actiontec router.