Quantcast
Question - Fair to reduce pay of salary job if I work less hours - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question - Fair to reduce pay of salary job if I work less hours

My Ride
    E46 M3

Default Question - Fair to reduce pay of salary job if I work less hours

Hey guys,

My work has recently reduced my salary pay because I am not at work as much as I used to be. The work I do requires me to be at the workplace for a little bit, and the rest of the work can be done at home.

Basically, my friend helps me with the workload at work and then I get to go home early and do the computer tasks at home. So we are at work for maybe 2 hours.

My work quality/output has not gone down, if anything it has improved.

Is it fair that they are cutting my pay in half?
    I thought a salary job only cared about the work quality/output rather than the amount of hours one puts in?

Just want some insight as to what I should do, and hopefully clear up why it is fair to cut my pay.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    Silverado

if you're doing the same job i don't see how they can reduce the pay. i'd quit for realzy

werd ^^^^^^

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds like it's not right. Have a sit-down with your boss and outline your concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Question - Fair to reduce pay of salary job if I work less hours

Originally posted by The BMW Guy

My work quality/output has not gone down, if anything it has improved.
    This is reason alone to argue why your pay shouldn't be reduced. It's bullshit for them to even attempt it. You're still working, even it's at home, it's still work.

My Ride
    changes every year

back in the day i used to make 8% of everything that the company made in residential services which was anywhere between 200-400 a day which was baller money back in the early 2000s.

i got pulled in to the office saying im doing awesome work but he cant afford to only be making 92% of 3-5k a day...?? so he said, ill give you 11 an hour....

i told him to go fuck himself, he came back at 13 an hour...i quit on principle to go make 10 an hour somewhere else just because i didnt want to work with a company that devalued me so much.

moral of the story is, it definitely worked out to leave there even though i made less $$ because eventually i got to a place that doesnt devalue me and pays me really well.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Sounds like it's not right. Have a sit-down with your boss and outline your concerns.
    Bingo.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

How is that even legal? If that was me I would be looking for another job.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

sounds kinda like you may be working yourself out of a job?

sucks either way.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This makes no sense at all. If the work output is the same or better the income should be the same or better.

I've heard of people on commission who have had their pay structure changed if they become "too successful". I don't know how that's even possible. If a sales person is selling way more stuff, why shouldn't they be paid way more. I would love for my staff to make triple what they are right now because that means I'm making triple.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by spikers
    sounds kinda like you may be working yourself out of a job?

sucks either way.
    What he said. Being physically at work in the office even if you don't do as much, portrays a better image IMO. I would honestly hate to work with someone that only shows up for a few hours and then leaves. Also communication is not as great even if you are only a phone call away, face to face communication IMO is key to a work place environment.

They are probably trying to make you quit, seeing how you are an employee if they fired you they would have to pay you a severance package, so if you quit instead they won't have to pay that out.

I think you have poor work etiquette, the work I do can be done from home as well, but what does that say to my boss? That I don't like being at work? I don't like being around my co workers? I'm not a team player?
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 04-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Im not too sure on the Canadian requirements, but this seems like it could equate to a constructive dismissal.

I assume that you can prove all your work is getting done and to the satisfaction of your employer? I'd call a lawyer, the first 1/2 consult is usually free and they can probably solve this one in 5 minutes.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Assuming that your position is something in which you can perform your work requirements offsite/at home, then no, that isn't fair. If you job requires you to be onsite at all times, and you're fucking off early and still expect the same pay, then yes it fair. But the latter is not how i see this.

This sounds like a case of constructive dismissal, and something that you should address with your work immediately.

Checkalook at this link for some information. The whole articale doesn't apply, but there is an explaination in the first portion explaing constructive dismissal.

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/re/hr...ployment-terms

EDIT Dang it, Fraser B beat me too it while i was typing and researching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I could understand a cut in pay, but pay being cut in half I agree that they may want you to quit and constructive dismissal sounds like it fits the bill.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Fair? What does that got to do with business? This type of thing happens all the time. Like others said, go to your boss and state your case but be prepared to walk if you don't like the answer.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    E46 M3

I was about to quit.
    Spoke to the boss, problem has been resolved. They will be adding back on my missing pay.
    Don't think they want to get rid of me any time soon.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

What he said. Being physically at work in the office even if you don't do as much, portrays a better image IMO. I would honestly hate to work with someone that only shows up for a few hours and then leaves. Also communication is not as great even if you are only a phone call away, face to face communication IMO is key to a work place environment.

I think you have poor work etiquette, the work I do can be done from home as well, but what does that say to my boss? That I don't like being at work? I don't like being around my co workers? I'm not a team player?
    Valid points, now I am wondering if the people at work hate me.

Curious, how come you would hate someone for showing up for a few hours, doing their work and then leaving after they are done? Also consider that this person is part-time and getting paid much less than yourself.

The type of work I do, I'm not sitting in an office with other people. I am usually around the building doing the tasks that only myself can do. Once I am done those tasks, I could sit in the general eating area (I don't have my own office/desk) on my laptop to do the computer tasks. But I'd much rather be home studying/eating dinner (since there are usually large wait times in between the computer tasks that I have to wait).

If I didn't have a laptop, I wouldn't be able to do the computer tasks at work at all.

I can see how it can affect my image not showing face though.
    Just curious if the rest of you think I have poor etiquette?
    Last edited by The BMW Guy; 04-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Tim Ferriss addresses this very topic in his book "The 4-Hour Work Week". From my recall, you need an understanding manager who really does not care where you do your work as long as the results are there in the end. Ferriss did clear this "reduced" work week with his boss making certain the results were all that mattered. He communicated his history of always beating the company expectations in terms of sales numbers. This alone made Ferriss not easy to replace or fire.

It sounds like the OP has pissed off someone (coworker?) in the company and they are tired of having to stay at the workplace while the OP does not. As long as your boss knows the real story (assuming he does not already), this is all that counts. I would be strongly communicating the hours you are putting in at home and how this saves the company money by not having another body in the office place using resources.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Originally posted by msommers
    Bingo.
    Glad to hear your situation got resolved, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

What those two guys said, 100%. This applies to just about anyone. If there's an issue, just go and talk to your boss about it, calmly and professionally.

At my yearly review, I was given a salary increase, but it was much lower than I had anticipated. I was pretty miffed, but I took 24 hours to think it over and cool off. By the next day, I still believed that I deserved much more, and I had a few reasons written down as to why.

I went straight to the boss, who was glad to listen to what I had to say. He said that he was open to discussing it, provided that I could provide justification as to why I thought it was worth more. He requested that I summarize it in an e-mail, which I did. He said it would be brought up with the management team. Two days later, I was pulled in and told that my frankness was appreciated, and that the salary increase I had originally received would be doubled. He made sure to ask if that was alright with me, and that if I had any questions, he would be glad to answer them. I thanked them for the extra raise, and was told to keep up the good work.

They didn't want to let me go that easy.

EDIT: Just remember, even if your employer likes you, they're in the business of making money. If they think you're worth the extra $$$, they'll give it to you if you ask for it. If they see an opportunity to get the same high level of work out of you for less money, they'll do it 10 times out of 10.
    Last edited by Stealth22; 04-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

WTF, can't embed YT videos anymore? Link to YT.

From The IT Crowd:
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 04-06-2012 at 10:14 AM.

OP, I'm glad you were able to convince your boss to re-adjust your pay. However it sounds like it was a knee jerk reaction likely influenced by some internal source without all the facts and an equally shallow understanding of your position. For you boss to be so disconnected to your job duties, and be so easily influenced as to cut your wage by half it should raise a red flag as to the competency and trustworthiness of this person in their position. Seriously if my boss cut my wage by 50% but didn't actually understand what I was hired to do I'd probably start looking right away. It's no trivial thing to fuck with a persons life like that and not even know the facts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast