Quantcast
Anyone have issues with woodpeckers too? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone have issues with woodpeckers too?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default Anyone have issues with woodpeckers too?

Anyone know what breed of bird this is? I think its a woodpecker of sorts. Ended up making a hole in one of the decorative beams at the entrance of my house... the constant pecking noise is driving me nuts!

Any ideas? I was thinking of injecting sprayfoam in the hole so that it doesn't come back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Have you checked your beam for bugs? A woodpecker going nuts on a beam is a good indication you might have an insect infestation. Get rid of them, and you get rid of the woodpecker.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Word, woodpeckers aren't hammering away with their skulls for fun. If the woodpecker stays more than a few minutes, or keeps coming back, there are bugs in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

I don't believe there are termites in Calgary... not sure what kind of bugs that could be inside there

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There assuredly are termites in Calgary, however, after some further investigation, I don't think this is a woodpecker.

I had a look through my bird book, and it's not matching any of the common peckers as far as i could see.

Looks most like a Red-breasted Nuthatch. According to my book, it eats confier seeds, as well as beetles and bark-dwelling bugs. If you see this bird walking head downwards on the tree (lumber) then that's pretty characteristic.

Aside from looking for food, it is the right season for this bird to be building a nesting cavity. They only do this in rotten wood, so if that's the case, that lumber is already fucked.

Leave the little dude (or dudette) alone and you may have a good nature show as 5-6 eggs are laid and hatch in about 12 days, with the young leaving the nest 18-21 days later.

Note I'm no kind of expert, just a guy who consulted his copy of "handbook of the Canadian Rockies" by Ben Gadd. An excellent book.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Yo I'll come airsoft that muthafuqqqaaaa for you for $69.

Hahaha kidding kidding, I would just spray foam / put some chemical stuff in there.

My Ride

Originally posted by JDMMAN
    I don't believe there are termites in Calgary... not sure what kind of bugs that could be inside there
    Beetle Larvae.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Thanks for the help guys. I thought it was pecking at the beam for making a nest too. I don't mind it too much, just wanted to make sure it doesn't go all the way through.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

It's probably making a nest. My neighbor had an issue with a nuthatch pecking a hole through the side of their stucco house. No beetles or bugs inside stucco.
    I like neat cars.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    There assuredly are termites in Calgary, however, after some further investigation, I don't think this is a woodpecker.

I had a look through my bird book, and it's not matching any of the common peckers as far as i could see.

Looks most like a Red-breasted Nuthatch. According to my book, it eats confier seeds, as well as beetles and bark-dwelling bugs. If you see this bird walking head downwards on the tree (lumber) then that's pretty characteristic.

Aside from looking for food, it is the right season for this bird to be building a nesting cavity. They only do this in rotten wood, so if that's the case, that lumber is already fucked.

Leave the little dude (or dudette) alone and you may have a good nature show as 5-6 eggs are laid and hatch in about 12 days, with the young leaving the nest 18-21 days later.

Note I'm no kind of expert, just a guy who consulted his copy of "handbook of the Canadian Rockies" by Ben Gadd. An excellent book.

yea I think you are right about the nuthach, and from the nesting section in the wiki article:

Members of the Red-breasted Nuthatch superspecies excavate their own tree holes, although most other nuthatches use natural holes or old woodpecker nests.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

We have a woodpecker that has been annoying the shit out of us.. and our house is stucco. Not quite sure why he would be chipping away at Stucco, but I have my airsoft waiting for him now!

My Ride

Bugs get into stucco too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    none

build/buy a bird house, maybe he will move in there if you put it close and semi-out of the way. Having bird crap on your walkway isn't all that nice either.
    Last edited by JudasJimmy; 04-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by R-Audi
    We have a woodpecker that has been annoying the shit out of us.. and our house is stucco. Not quite sure why he would be chipping away at Stucco, but I have my airsoft waiting for him now!
    We had a woodpecker that was pecking at our stucco too. My friend told me they're highly territorial so if you hear them going at it, tap on the wall repeatedly so that it thinks there's another woodpecker in the area. We did that and it went away.