Quantcast
Fat Loss Diet Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss Diet Help

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Fat Loss Diet Help

So I want to run a long-term fat-loss diet and am having a had time sorting out my macros. I hear a lot of the 40/40/20 (F/P/C) rule and wanted to know if anyone here has had success following that.

My meal plan today looks like this:

Protein Shake for breakfast (8oz orange juice, 1 medium banana, 5 strawberries, 2 scoops vanilla whey) . (510 cals, 10g fat, 65g carbs, 52g protein)

2 whole eggs, 4 slices of bacon (285 cals, 21g fat, 1g carb, 20g protein)

7 oz chicken breast w/ broccoli (450 cals, 16g fat, 13g carbs, 63g protein)

Protein shake w/ water (280 cals, 10g fat, 2g carbs, 54g protein)

Apsaragus, broccoli, 1 tbsp olive oil, 10oz pork for dinner (970 cals, 63g fat, 6g carbs, 75g protein)

Grapefruit for snack (110 cals, 0.5g fat, 27g carbs, 2g protein)

Day looks like this overall: appx 2,550 cals, 113g fat, 117g carbs, 261g protein. This works out to 40% fat, 42% protein, 18% carbs.

My estimated BMR is 3,300 cals with three gym days and two cardio days included. This should set me up for 1.5lb of weight lost per week.

Anyone have any thoughts? My goal is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible and cut fat.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Good thread, I've been trying to lean towards more Paleo in regards to my diet

Breakfast 1.5 scoops of whey with water, spinach and half cup of blueberries

chicken breast/Brocolli/2 small red skin potatos

Whey with water

chicken breast/brocolli again

Tilapia/brocolli

Dinner Chicken breast and brocolli

I've been following this sunday-friday I typically let loose on Saturdays, but I've also found with more olympic style lifts that is has been netting better results

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by shadowz
    Good thread, I've been trying to lean towards more Paleo in regards to my diet

Breakfast 1.5 scoops of whey with water, spinach and half cup of blueberries

chicken breast/Brocolli/2 small red skin potatos

Whey with water

chicken breast/brocolli again

Tilapia/brocolli

Dinner Chicken breast and brocolli

I've been following this sunday-friday I typically let loose on Saturdays, but I've also found with more olympic style lifts that is has been netting better results
    Olympic lifts are awesome for Metabolic activity.

Curious why no red meat?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

My diet these days: (Won't give exact amounts as I'm being trained by John Meadows right now)

Workout day:

1) eggs, avocado

2) Lean white meat, Green veg

3) Pre workout - White fish, potatoes, Surge workout fuel

4) During - Casein hydrosylate

5) PWO 1: Isolate shake with water, Kiwi

6 PWO 2: Rice, honey, Lean red meat.

Non Workout day:

1) Eggs, avocado, greek yogurt, berries

2) red meat, green veg, potato

3) white meat, green veg potato

4) shake with water, potato

5) red meat, salad with veg, olive oil/balsamic, brown rice.

That's it. SUPER clean, Dairy/Gluten/Sugar free! Aside from the greek yogurt.. Not really counted as dairy however.
    Last edited by Darkane; 04-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

That diet isnt bad A790... Maybe cut out the OJ and add more fresh fruit. But really it shouldn't effect your results too much at all....

And ya +1 on the Paleo. Ive found for my body its the best I can do for body composition as a long term diet/lifestyle.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by Darkane

Olympic lifts are awesome for Metabolic activity.

Curious why no red meat?
    Gout has been the biggest reason (runs in the family and I got it when I was 16) every once and a while I will have some ground beef and steak but it sucks to have a attack and not be able to be active.

My Ride

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    That diet isnt bad A790... Maybe cut out the OJ and add more fresh fruit. But really it shouldn't effect your results too much at all....

And ya +1 on the Paleo. Ive found for my body its the best I can do for body composition as a long term diet/lifestyle.
    Any examples of a paleo meal plan out there?

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by A790

Any examples of a paleo meal plan out there?

Just been reading online for some but I will be picking up this book on the weekend if you would like to borrow it from me when I'm done

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Paleo-Diet-.../dp/0471267554

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Couple reads on Paleo

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built1.htm
    part 2
    http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built2.htm

Basically only eat what a caveman could eat.

Aside from the OJ, you are pretty much doing Paleo right now. Whey is sometimes not considered Paleo but it is fine IMO However meat takes more calories to break down and digests longer.
    But in the long run that will not effect you to a large degree. You can run that diet you posted and get some decent results IMO
    Last edited by Redlined_8000; 04-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by shadowz

Gout has been the biggest reason (runs in the family and I got it when I was 16) every once and a while I will have some ground beef and steak but it sucks to have a attack and not be able to be active.
    Try: In no particular order -

Grass fed beef, if possible grass fed AND finished beef

Elk
    Bison
    Venison
    Lamb
    Horse - Not sure if it's legal in Alberta or not.

Also are you sure it's ONLY the beef that gives you gout? What else do you eat with the meal.

Try going to the famers market and getting some good grass fed beef and try it. Chances are this would be the only kind of beef you could handle if any.

The rest of the reds are quite easy to digest because of the low fat content. Lamb might flare you up.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Try: In no particular order -

Grass fed beef, if possible grass fed AND finished beef

Elk
    Bison
    Venison
    Lamb
    Horse - Not sure if it's legal in Alberta or not.

Also are you sure it's ONLY the beef that gives you gout? What else do you eat with the meal.

Try going to the famers market and getting some good grass fed beef and try it. Chances are this would be the only kind of beef you could handle if any.

The rest of the reds are quite easy to digest because of the low fat content. Lamb might flare you up.
    I'll give it a shot, ya I've isolated attacks to red meat, fruit juices, and ham (took a while but I did narrow it down)

Since I quit drinking fruit juices I have not had a attack in over a year. But I will give your other recommendations a shot

My Ride
    Ford F150

I know a man with gout and he says the same thing about red meat.

A790: that diet looks solid to me. Personally I'd swap the bacon for something healthier but that's just preference. I'd even consider dropping the OJ and adding in half a cup of whole oats into your protein shake.

Which meal is your post work out?
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Try swapping the bacon out to turkey bacon, it's really not that terrible.
    I'd try and go with more complex carbs in the morning vs the fruits. You don't want to overload with sugar (all be it natural) in the morning.
    Complex carbs take longer to break down anyway so they'll leave you feeling full for longer. These can include Oats (add to protein shake), and most whole grain foods. (the one time a 12 grain bagel isn't atrocious for you )
    Another tip, your eating 6 meals a day which is good, but the sizes could use some work.
    6 equalized meals a day is a lot better than 6 meals a day with 3 big and 3 small. It's harder to get used to at first but if you persevere your body will adapt and it will become natural.
    Protein is good for the body, but proteins like whey break down fast. They're for pre work out, post work out or to keep your muscles stimulated. In other words you've gotta work to burn off the protein or it can turn to fat.
    I don't know what you do for a living but as long as you get psychical activity it should be fine.
    One type of protein to look up would be casein protein. Really good for a before bedtime snack.
    It can last up to 8 hours before being totally absorbed and is really good for helping muscules regenerate over night.

My Ride
    X5

My diet these days: (Won't give exact amounts as I'm being trained by John Meadows right now)

Workout day:

1) eggs, avocado

2) Lean white meat, Green veg

3) Pre workout - White fish, potatoes, Surge workout fuel

4) During - Casein hydrosylate

5) PWO 1: Isolate shake with water, Kiwi

6 PWO 2: Rice, honey, Lean red meat.

Non Workout day:

1) Eggs, avocado, greek yogurt, berries

2) red meat, green veg, potato

3) white meat, green veg potato

4) shake with water, potato

5) red meat, salad with veg, olive oil/balsamic, brown rice.

That's it. SUPER clean, Dairy/Gluten/Sugar free! Aside from the greek yogurt.. Not really counted as dairy however.
    Just curious, why do you not consume any dairy?

My Ride

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

A790: that diet looks solid to me. Personally I'd swap the bacon for something healthier but that's just preference. I'd even consider dropping the OJ and adding in half a cup of whole oats into your protein shake.

Post workout meal is water and protein whey, followed by dinner (aspargus, broccoli, protein source) about 60 mins later.

Turkey bacon isn't an option as I have my cafeteria at work make the eggs/bacon, and they don't have turkey bacon.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    I'd try and go with more complex carbs in the morning vs the fruits. You don't want to overload with sugar (all be it natural) in the morning.
    Complex carbs take longer to break down anyway so they'll leave you feeling full for longer. These can include Oats (add to protein shake), and most whole grain foods. (the one time a 12 grain bagel isn't atrocious for you )
    Another tip, your eating 6 meals a day which is good, but the sizes could use some work.
    6 equalized meals a day is a lot better than 6 meals a day with 3 big and 3 small. It's harder to get used to at first but if you persevere your body will adapt and it will become natural.
    Protein is good for the body, but proteins like whey break down fast. They're for pre work out, post work out or to keep your muscles stimulated. In other words you've gotta work to burn off the protein or it can turn to fat.
    I don't know what you do for a living but as long as you get psychical activity it should be fine.
    One type of protein to look up would be casein protein. Really good for a before bedtime snack.
    It can last up to 8 hours before being totally absorbed and is really good for helping muscules regenerate over night.
    My job is very sedentary. However, I do heavy weights 3 times per week, a mild/moderate cardio 2 times per week on different days.

My Ride

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Post workout meal is water and protein whey, followed by dinner (aspargus, broccoli, protein source) about 60 mins later.

Turkey bacon isn't an option as I have my cafeteria at work make the eggs/bacon, and they don't have turkey bacon.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    My job is very sedentary. However, I do heavy weights 3 times per week, a mild/moderate cardio 2 times per week on different days.

Looks good but personally I'd cut out the grapefruit before bedtime and switch it to some cottage cheese (I know its gross but i just take a couple of spoonfuls and man through it). This way your body is getting protein through the night. Curious what is your lbm? You are getting more then enough protein (1g per lbm min) so don't see you losing any muscle mass.

I've been on a fat loss diet for a bit now and I pretty much completely cut out the sugar (ill have a glass of lemonade with a cheat meal though). I dont see any problems with the amount you have though.

Drink at east a gallon of water per day and dont forget your multi's and omegas (fish oils/flax seed oil).

Dont forget to refeed!

Increase your calories (re-feed) for a full day periodically (once a week or so if you are heavy, twice a week if you are already lean), to restimulate metabolism. On the higher calorie day, take your calories to maintenance or even 10, 15, 20% above maintenance and add the extra calories in the form of carbs (carb cycling). The leaner you get, and the longer you've been on reduced calories, the more important the re-feeds will be.
    Lastly I'd recommend mixing some power lifting into your workout (if you dont currently). I dont know the science behind it (maybe somone can chime in) but it seems to be extremely helpful. I just do rack pulls twice a week (with my back workouts and leg workouts)

My Ride

Okay, going to try to change things up a bit.

Breakfast:
    6 oz orange juice + banana + 5 strawberries + 1/3 cup of whole grain oats + 2 scoops vanilla whey. 481 cals, 16g fat, 74.1g carbs, 50g protein.

Snack:
    2 whole eggs w/ 4 slices of bacon. 285 cals, 22g fat, 1g carb, 20g protein.

Lunch:
    7oz chicken breast, broccoli, carrots. 467 cals, 16g fat, 16g carb, 60g protein

Snack:
    Protein shake w/ water. 280 cals, 15g fat, 1g carb, 50g protein

Post workout:
    Protein shake w/ water + 1 grapefruit. 300 cals, 15g fat, 27g carb, 52g protein.

Dinner:
    8oz chicken breast w/ broccoli and asparagus + 1 tbsp olive oil. 640 cals, 34g fat, 10g carb, 67g protein.

Approximate total: 2,575 cals, 89g fat, 136g carb, 295g protein.

Today is also squat day

Macros are 48P/31F/20C.

man that sounds like a lot of food

me:

7am, protein shake
    8am, small handful of oats, half sliced banana and hot water
    10am, carrot
    12pm, spinach/chicken breast wrap
    2pm, small handful of almonds
    4pm, apple
    6pm, gym followed by protein shake
    730pm, one egg with slice of salmon.

trimming up pretty nicely on this

My Ride

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    man that sounds like a lot of food

me:

7am, protein shake
    8am, small handful of oats, half sliced banana and hot water
    10am, carrot
    12pm, spinach/chicken breast wrap
    2pm, small handful of almonds
    4pm, apple
    6pm, gym followed by protein shake
    730pm, one egg with slice of salmon.

trimming up pretty nicely on this
    Yea, but there isn't enough protein in there for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast