Quantcast
New York - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default New York

It looks pretty shitty out my window at the moment so I'm booking flights to New York for 5 days / 6 nights departing tomorrow. Never been there before and I keep hearing it's a great city.

I'm going to stay with a Canadian gal I know living in Manhattan in West Chelsea. Any recommendations for 'must sees' or 'must dos'?

mermaid oyster bar in soho! soo good! you will not regret the food they serve.
    Balthazar Restaurant & Bakery really good! spring street natural if you can't get a reso at balthazar, it's just down the street.

new york is the best city i've been to and i've traveled a lot. ever since my nyc trip i've been rooting for all the nyc teams haha.

MOMA is dope, i love modern art, donno what your taste is like though, but radio city, saks on fifth, empire state, central park, Rockefeller center and a lot of many other main attractions are walking distance from MOMA.

I found upper east side was quite dull, only thing there is higher class restaurants and julliard ballet arts school.

Soho is dope for hip, younger clothing. Check out Flight Deck for shoes if you're into all that nike gear. Basketball shoes, limited edition nikes etc and a wide selection of hats.

I found NYC people were super friendly when it came to directions and what not and I was there at the busiest time of the year.

There's also a food stand on 52nd W and 6 st with really popular brown(?) food.

have fun! im heading back there for my 2nd time in less than a year.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    There's also a food stand on 52nd W and 6 st with really popular brown(?) food.
    53x6 Halal Cart. The quality has diminished over the years but the novelty exists. Make sure you stand in the long line directly across the Hilton and it is after 8pm for the true effect.

Asides from that, there are countless threads on NY which would more than fill six days. Center your trip around food. NY is most likely the highest concentration of the best food on the planet. Most important advice: Comfy Walking Shoes!

Any specific info...ask away

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Godfuader

Asides from that, there are countless threads on NY which would more than fill six days.
    Actually, my search for 'New York' and 'NYC' only brought up this thread - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348253/nyc/ - wherein people basically said search and find countless threads on NYC lol.

I'm pretty stoked at the area my friend lives so hopefully I can see quite a bit.

My hit list at the moment is Liberty Island, Central Park, Times Square, Natural History Museum, Wall Street, and Highline Park.

I may check out MOMO, 30 Rock, Empire State, Ground Zero and the Intrepid museum too.

Sounds like the best way to enjoy New York, like most cities, is to just get immersed though.

Are there any 'must-sees' outside of Manhattan?

My Ride
    Corvette

Since your staying in Chelsea, take your gal to the Darby for dinner/entertainment! checkout Bowlmor in Times Sq., lockdown some Rangers playoff tickets. If the weather is nice take a ride on the Staten Island ferry. As mentioned above, eat the fooood -but not in Times Sq. that shit is all commercialized bs like bubba gump and other miserable chains. Also in Chelsea/Meat packing dist. eat at the Diner if your hungry late at night - this place is happening! tons of locals, dj's, serious eye candy.

Lots of great threads on NYC to search around.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by davidI

Do your midtown, uptown, downtown. Checkout Brooklyn. Get the 1wk subway pass and ride around...see a broadway show or even an 'off broadway' show.

My Ride
    NC1

You SEE and DO that girl you are staying with. She would probably know the best places to hit up haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by max_boost
    You SEE and DO that girl you are staying with. She would probably know the best places to hit up haha
    Haha, yea, definitely hoping to 'do' that part of New York. She's relatively new to NY though so may not know much herself - she just finished articling at the Supreme Court of Canada and landed some high roller white collar criminal gig there so she'll probably be looking for some stress relief.

I also met a hot bi-sexual Porto Rican in Malaysia who lives in Manhattan so I'm hoping I can make a play date for the 3 of us

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by davidI

Actually, my search for 'New York' and 'NYC' only brought up this thread - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348253/nyc/ - wherein people basically said search and find countless threads on NYC lol.

I'm pretty stoked at the area my friend lives so hopefully I can see quite a bit.

My hit list at the moment is Liberty Island, Central Park, Times Square, Natural History Museum, Wall Street, and Highline Park.

I may check out MOMO, 30 Rock, Empire State, Ground Zero and the Intrepid museum too.

Sounds like the best way to enjoy New York, like most cities, is to just get immersed though.

First thing to do is to grab a week subway pass. Stare at the map for 5 mins each morning to devise a game plan.

Bring a SmartPhone. Free wifi everywhere.

Walk down 5th ave from 59th to the Rock can take you a couple hours if you enjoy shopping and sightseeing.

Dedicated a day to the park. With the weather this good, there will be a ton of stuff to see and do. Rent a bike for two hours and do the loop.

For food use Yelp. You should get slapped if you step into a chain restaurant. If its a hole in the wall and yelp gave it 4+ stars, it means excellent.

Nothing on Liberty Island. You are better off taking the Free Staten Island ferry right before sunset to get the best view of the statue and the downtown skyline on the way back.

Ground Zero is a tourist trap. Pull on your heart and purse strings. The new tower looks really nice though. It's in the same area as NYSE, Wall St, etc. so worth the walk.

Museums are all great. Most offer free admission once a week.

Highline is great but can get crowded during sunset.

Take a walk across Brooklyn Bridge (30 mins) and head to Grimaldis for some A+ pizza. Bring a friend cuz you have to buy the whole pie.

Broadway: Pick your flavor, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy SoHo and Village in the evenings for jazz bars, comedy clubs, good eats, pubs, and general socializing.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Excellent, thank you! Hopefully this will become the new searchable 'New York' thread on Beyond!

Comfy Walking Shoes!
    That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC. My advice...don't dress like you're on a safari or going to run a marathon. It's not like you need to walk any more than usual. Cabs are cheap manggg.

not trying to shit on godfauder, just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Well, after a few too many pints in the Maple Leaf Lounge I dropped a bunch of Benjamin's on tickets for Game 2 at the garden. Should guarantee I'm not sleeping on the couch this week

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by dangleberries

just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.
    Can't save me from that! I flip flops for life!

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC. My advice...don't dress like you're on a safari or going to run a marathon. It's not like you need to walk any more than usual. Cabs are cheap manggg.

not trying to shit on godfauder, just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.
    He is coming to check out the city, not to get discovered by America's Next Top Model. Comfy shoes don't translate to the Retirement Home Collection. All my shoes including dress shoes are rubber soled making them comfy as well. In this city you do walk around a lot especially as a tourist. Cabs are just to get from point A to B.

He is coming to check out the city, not to get discovered by America's Next Top Model. Comfy shoes don't translate to the Retirement Home Collection. All my shoes including dress shoes are rubber soled making them comfy as well. In this city you do walk around a lot especially as a tourist. Cabs are just to get from point A to B.
    i said i wasnt shittin on a nigga so why u actin the foo rockin your crocs like air force ones??

My Ride
    Bicycle

That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC.
    It's not a bad idea for someone new to NYC and wants to walk it and experience it.

Cabs are boring.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

i said i wasnt shittin on a nigga so why u actin the foo rockin your crocs like air force ones??
    I wasn't shittin on you for not shittin on me, brah. Just thought you had been watchin too many reruns of Sex and the City, diva!

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Cabs are boring.
    Cabs can be exhilarating as well...if you make it. I took a cab when I was tourist in 2006 and it was . Went from upper east side, 55 x park (Ferrari showroom) to Penn station 34 x 8. Running late for a train, so hopped in a cab. Said it should be 15mins and ~$10. I told him that my train leaves in 15, so if he shaves off a couple mins I'll tip him well. We got there in 8mins!! He actually overtook an ambulance, and hit curbs twice. Paid him $20 and proceeded to change my pants.

then might i also recommend a fanny pack and carrying a nalgene bottle around too.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Cabs can be exhilarating as well...if you make it. I took a cab when I was tourist in 2006 and it was . Went from upper east side, 55 x park (Ferrari showroom) to Penn station 34 x 8. Running late for a train, so hopped in a cab. Said it should be 15mins and ~$10. I told him that my train leaves in 15, so if he shaves off a couple mins I'll tip him well. We got there in 8mins!! He actually overtook an ambulance, and hit curbs twice. Paid him $20 and proceeded to change my pants.
    Lol. Btw, how far is Queens to midtown? Probably going to rent a condo for a week this time.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Just thought I'd quickly check in with an update.

It has been awesome so far. Train from Newark Airport to Penn Station is easy - $12.50.

It has been beautiful here so spent most of Saturday at Central Park and quickly checked out Times Square before going to the Rangers Playoff Game 2. The seats I ended up getting were in Row 12 so it was pretty epic. It's definitely not as loud an atmosphere as Calgary, but they have some really cool tradition things like 'dancing Larry' and the 'potvin sucks' cheer. There was a die hard Rangers fan sitting next to us, who was wicked cool, but most of the other fans were idiots and didn't understand hockey much. My first night in town and after the game I was relegated to an air mattress by my hostess, so I was pretty pissed about that. Apparently she's still getting over an ex or something.

Good news is Sunday morning she crawled in bed with me so it's game on there now. Air mattress is gone and the real fun has begun. We went to Brooklyn yesterday for brunch at a place called "Eggs". It was pretty good food, but the line-up was insane. One of the Yelp reviews said "If you don't pass out from the wait, it's a wonderful experience". We put our name on the list early and then walked around watching all of the crazy hipsters so that was all right.

We were then lucky enough to get reservations at Please Don't Tell. PDT is sort of a gimmicky thing but pretty cool nonetheless. To make reservations, you have to call at 3pm exactly and keep calling back if the number is busy. Then you show up at this hot dog joint at your reservation time and go into a phone booth in the restaurant. When you're in the booth, you start dialing and suddenly the wall of the booth opens and there is a hidden bar that you get into. Inside isn't all that, but it's cool nonetheless. We then went to a bar called Cafe Wha? - most amazing live band I have ever heard. Back in the day lots of famous artists played there, including Bob Dylan and Hendrix, so there's a lot of history too. Pretty cool experience.

Pretty wicked city so far!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast