Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

Since moving here and trying dozens of pizza places my favs are (in order):

1. Don Antonios
    2. Pauly G's
    3. Adrienne's

None are the "ny style" foot long greasy cheese slices. But all of those above make a great pie.
    ------------------------
    '17 BMW M3 Comp
    '18 BMW X3 M40i

My Ride
    M3P

Have you made you way into BK and braved the hour + long line at Di-fara?

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    Have you made you way into BK and braved the hour + long line at Di-fara?
    No, not yet. I've done Lucali, and Robertas. All of which had 60+ min waits at any point I've ever checked. Lucali in particular is insane for wait times. Lucali and Roberta's were both good but not "wow I am glad I waited 2 hours". Which seems to be the case for a lot of NYC hyped places.

The three places I mentioned as my favs are also prone to long waits but at least I am in a postprandial state of bliss when I leave.

My Ride
    This and that.

Bump....

Contemplating of going over the April extra long weekend. Getting there Friday morning and back Monday afternoon. Never been there, so the top on the list is the main tourist things. Thinking of surprising the wife as it is on her bucket list to be there during Christmas, but we are always busy somewhere else around then. So even in April is better than nothing I guess.

First question, is that even enough time to spend there and be able to do all the things? What's the best place to stay at...area wise. Close to everything etc. We rather not public transport and will cab if I have to. But I like walking as I feel that's how you see the most at a place.

Finally, must do touristy things? Book in advance? Where from? When to? And all that. I guess I will drop the idea if the time we have isn't enough and may decide to just go to Montreal or something instead, but ideally would like to check out NY.

Thanks to all.

My Ride
    rally pig

A long weekend trip to NYC is enough to scratch most of the must see.

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island: if you want to cheap out take the ferry to Staten Island but IMO worth going at least once.. I've been 2x

One World Observatory: haven't been here as last time I was in NYC it wasn't open yet but it's on my to do list

Top of the Rock: go one hour before sunset that way you get to see Lower Manhattan during day and night

Central Park: rent a bike for a couple of hours and ride around the park

Times Square: cool to see during the day and night, optional but I would also go watch a play

Grand Central Terminal

Brooklyn Bridge: cross it from Manhattan to Brooklyn then have lunch in one of the pizza places in Brooklyn, our favorite is Grimaldi's

there are the museums too, I've done MOMA and Guggenheim.

For accommodations if you don't want to walk alot then stay around Mid Town.
    I've stayed at the Gotham Hotel and Holiday Inn Fifth Ave but now I prefer staying in Queens for the experience of taking the Subway.
    Either way, your should buy the 7 day unlimited metrocard as you'll be using it extensively around NYC.

My Ride
    NC1

I take those hop on hop off buses every city I go to

https://www.citysightseeingnewyork.c...hour-tour.html
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I'm going at the start of June. There are many options for hop on hop off bus tours. Are these worth it over just getting a transit pass and exploring yourself?

There is also private on foot tours as well. Lots of options and not sure what is worth it or not

Originally posted by jabjab
    I'm going at the start of June. There are many options for hop on hop off bus tours. Are these worth it over just getting a transit pass and exploring yourself?

There is also private on foot tours as well. Lots of options and not sure what is worth it or not
    Google maps and a metro pass is all you need. Don't bother with the hop on, hop off.

What are the best places for single slice servings? Feel like NY pizza has been talked up so much that its bound to disappoint. I mean pizza always ranges from good to pretty good but I've never had a mind blowing slice.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by digi355

Google maps and a metro pass is all you need. Don't bother with the hop on, hop off.
    Exactly this.

My Ride
    NC1

Don't know about Pizza but my only must eat in NYC was the Halal Guys! http://53rdand6th.com/

New York City is really easy to get around so if the tour buses aren't your thing, just flag down a cab, subway, and just walk it!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Manhattan
    What are the best places for single slice servings? Feel like NY pizza has been talked up so much that its bound to disappoint. I mean pizza always ranges from good to pretty good but I've never had a mind blowing slice.
    Joe's Pizza in Union Square and Prince St Pizza in Soho.

Find a way to get yourself a table at The Box... ideally on someone else's dime who can expense it.

Found this video online that kind of captures what it's like... only w/o all the bodily fluids (... all of them... for show, at least)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdwQEASZUc
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 04-26-2017 at 01:50 AM.

What's the subway ride from Brooklyn (Bushwick to be exact) to Manhattan like? Huge difference in price of accommodation. Initially I was going to stay in hipster town but starting to think I should splurge for Manhattan to have quick access to many more train lines.

My Ride
    This and that.

We actually didn't end up going over the April long weekend as we had scheduled my wife's new vehicle delivery for then. It will be happening some time in the future, this thread will be searched and brought up again when the time comes.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Manhattan
    What's the subway ride from Brooklyn (Bushwick to be exact) to Manhattan like? Huge difference in price of accommodation. Initially I was going to stay in hipster town but starting to think I should splurge for Manhattan to have quick access to many more train lines.
    I see M, L and J line around Bushwick.
    It's also very easy to change line in New York and IMO taking the subway and exploring is part of the fun of NYC.
    We like staying in Queens or Brooklyn too and just take a 15min subway ride to Manhattan

Williamsburg is a nice area to stay in and if you get a good location it is literally a 5 min train ride to Manhattan

I'm thinking of paying the premium to stay in Manhattan mostly so I can walk around the neighborhood after dinner without having to hop on a dirty train. I also like to take a quick power nap back at the hotel before going out at night. From google maps it seems to take at least 15 min train ride between Williamsburg and Manhattan.

My Ride
    Lease

First time in NYC ever.

Too busy for my taste, but would prefer NYC than Toronto. If you have the time, I’d say go back to back T-dot to New York City, only 1 hour flight apart anyways.

Just did touch and go with tourist spots didn’t linger or bother waiting in line to take pics (ie. charging Bull)

Pretty much ate my way through did tons of pizza, I see where TNMT get their appetite from. $1 slices, $5-6 double slice cheese with soda. You can’t go hungry here. Did Momosan ramen (think it has something to do with an iron chef)

Yeah much prefer the melting pot effect of NYC (everyone tries to put in the effort to make things work, New Yorkers from my few days imo I've notice at least make an effort smiling and interact regardless of race, background)... compared to this new age (recent 10 years influx of crazy immigration into Canada); immigrants here (Toronto/East side of can at least) imo have no intentions to become apart of the community, head stuck within their own world forcing their ways to change the country.

Only using this example to express my traveling experience doing these two cities back to back, cause neither NYC Or dt Toronto, North York TO are white skin dominate compared with to where we (Beyonders/cgy) are from. In nyc, you can be a diff color To a stranger, but if you’re nice to em (ask directions, ask suggestions to eats in area, they see u eating solo they’ll offer a seat at their table etc)... in Toronto dt, North York. (Visit nov 2017), you could even be the same skin color but if you’re not speaking “their” dialogue (which imho should be purely English through out the board btw), they all got's their nose stuck up (Be it Chinese fobs, brown fobs, euro fobs, etc etc). Makes you wanna say bitch do you know who I am on beyond forums? I’m TomcoPDR, Rage2, etc and these are my adventures.

Man I actually miss home in the west. Can’t wait to go back to work in small towns Alberta (immediately after seeing TO and nyc; even cgy/edm are small towns lol). Hide in the work shops, hide in hotel room vip best western diamond select status.

Last edited by TomcoPDR; 11-23-2017 at 12:19 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only using this example to express my traveling experience doing these two cities back to back, cause neither NYC Or dt Toronto, North York TO are white skin dominate compared with to where we (Beyonders/cgy) are from. In nyc, you can be a diff color To a stranger, but if you’re nice to em (ask directions, ask suggestions to eats in area, they see u eating solo they’ll offer a seat at their table etc)... in Toronto dt, North York. (Visit nov 2017), you could even be the same skin color but if you’re not speaking “their” dialogue (which imho should be purely English through out the board btw), they all got's their nose stuck up (Be it Chinese fobs, brown fobs, euro fobs, etc etc). Makes you wanna say bitch do you know who I am on beyond forums? I’m TomcoPDR, Rage2, etc and these are my adventures.
    Melting pot vs multiculturalism.

Canada is the latter and you see the effect in Ontario.

US does a way better melting pot than Canada. But I have never visited the gulf states other than Florida. So I won't know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast