Quantcast
polyurethane vs rubber bushings - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: polyurethane vs rubber bushings

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default polyurethane vs rubber bushings

as far as i know, poly is stiffer and generally more durable than rubber, and would make a better choice for handling.

however, how does it fare in everyday reliability? manufacturers say that poly is less likely to crack than rubber, but then again, they are the ones selling the shit.

ive heard a lot of people say that poly is bad for harsh winters, everyday driving, and some horror stories of poly crumbling into nothing after a few years of hard driving.

right now im deciding between poly and trd hard rubber. i need the shit to last a long time and thru harsh edmonton winters.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Its $20 bucks either way, $40 if you cover both bases. I can say from my PT Cruiser club, one of the only complaints you'll ever hear from me and several other PT owners with the Manual transmssion. Its geared properly, but they put those damn cheap rubber bushings in, and they just get all chewed and cut to crap, it feels like you're shifting a garbage can. $20 US bux +shipping+bs later and a bag with "booger bushings" in it, I'm the pround owner of a butter smooth shifting beauty that is now perfect (except for the turbo and body kit, but that's later).

I guess my vote is for the polys

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

Are you referring to poly bushings for suspension?? If so, I don't think you'll notice the difference much. I know there is a difference but as far as feeling it, I don't think you will. Mine on my Jetta wore extremely slowly. After 5 years I could have used them again on my golf but decided to get fresh ones. The only difference I've noticed is the noise. In winter mine squeak A LOT!!

I don't know if that helps you any.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

20 bucks?! my poly control arm bushings were 100

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

http://www.boogerracing.com/boogerbushings.html

That's his site, he charges us $20 plus shipping. Only for the Chrysler small car transmissions though.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by maximus
    Are you referring to poly bushings for suspension?? If so, I don't think you'll notice the difference much. I know there is a difference but as far as feeling it, I don't think you will. Mine on my Jetta wore extremely slowly. After 5 years I could have used them again on my golf but decided to get fresh ones. The only difference I've noticed is the noise. In winter mine squeak A LOT!!

I don't know if that helps you any.

yes, suspension bushings. at this point, anything will be better than what i have, old 19 year old oem bushings..

im looking for bushings for the entire car, which could cost upwards of $400.

im just debating the difference between trd hard rubber and poly bushings from other companies because i want the bushings to last.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

I purchased my DSM with the poly bushings Jeff, and the prevoius owner said they were on the car for 2 years with him and almost 2 years with me, and so 4 years later they are still great man...the front engine mount bushing though is really dis-colored from turbos blowing up all over it, and what have you...but they have held up amazingly well...

The only gripe I have as was mentioned before...below -15 there is A LOT of noise from them...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    pedals

i have heard that the hard rubba is the way to go. lasts longer and a significant improvement over OEM. but that corolla stylzzzz. im not sure if it works with a DSM or PTcruiza

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Sorry I thought you were talking about shifter bushings - I think the topic came up in another thread, and I still had it on my mind.

Umm can't help much but to say that poly is generally stiffer and more durable than rubber, and stiffer is usually preferred for suspension, but I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
    I purchased my DSM with the poly bushings Jeff, and the prevoius owner said they were on the car for 2 years with him and almost 2 years with me, and so 4 years later they are still great man...the front engine mount bushing though is really dis-colored from turbos blowing up all over it, and what have you...but they have held up amazingly well...

The only gripe I have as was mentioned before...below -15 there is A LOT of noise from them...
    Do you have the balance shaft removed? I installed poly engine mounts all around on my dsm and the only real difference I noticed was there was a lot more vibration through the chassis, even with the balance shaft in. I can't imagine what those would be like without one.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

400? how many bushings are there to replace in an 86? are you going into the subframes too?

My Ride
    pedals

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    400? how many bushings are there to replace in an 86? are you going into the subframes too?
    37 bushings.
    Last edited by hjr; 02-03-2004 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Do you have the balance shaft removed? I installed poly engine mounts all around on my dsm and the only real difference I noticed was there was a lot more vibration through the chassis, even with the balance shaft in. I can't imagine what those would be like without one.

No balance shafts, and I knew that goin in when I re-built my motor recently...its worse than it was, but I mean not un-bearable...my mommy doesnt like to ride in it thru a lot of downtown traffic (stop and go) both other than that it is hardly noticeable now, once you get used to it...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    there is a trd suspension bushings kit (37 pc) that seems popular among corolla drivers. most places want at least 450 for it, so i am just hanging around til i can get not-ripped-off.

I have Poly bushings on the swaybar. They squeak like shit and need a lot of lube.
    x = way too fast
    y = bump in the road
    z = oh shit

x + y = z

My Ride
    '91 Mustang

Poly will last longer, but will also increase NVH in the car and potentially squeak as mentioned above. I also wouldn't put poly into a control arm on a rear drive car...
    Mods Pics
    Novi 2000 now spinning

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by jonnyk
    I also wouldn't put poly into a control arm on a rear drive car...
    why's dis?