Quantcast
Need your opinion on a good used truck, half ton or bigger - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need your opinion on a good used truck, half ton or bigger

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Default Re: Re: Need your opinion on a good used truck, half ton or bigger

^ Thanks guys. Just taking a look at some '06-08 Duramax's, and the newer 6.4L Ford F series Diesels. How are the 6.4's?

Any complaints? I dont think I've heard anything bad at all thus far. I found a really nice '09 F350 on Kijiji for $25k.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

This made me

My company "truck" is a ridgeline. What a pos! It's great as a utilitarian city vehicle but you can't tow anything of any significance and the weight limit for in box hauling is low (mind you I don't haul anything...I don't even know why I have a truck since I'm only on-site to view progress and talk with my supervisors but whatever, they buy). It got stuck, with brand new tires, when I was in Fernie in some soft soggy snow (tires weren't dedicated winter tires but my god, this shouldn't have happened). The 4-wheel "lock" is a joke. I went through a field last week doing under 20 and now I have a stress crack in my windshield!

Calling a ridgeline a truck is like calling a civic a real sports car.

Older chevs are still likely your best bet, my buddy changed out some of his plumbing fleet to new dodges (managers) but the crew trucks are still Chev W/T's and they have typically been quite reliable all things considered. They won't buy new chevs anymore though as stated above.....as the fleet ages, they'll likely be going Dodge as they've had great success so far.
    Yeah the Ridgeline wasn't even a vague thought, Im sure its reliable, which is nice, but its just an SUV with an open back really.

We've had very good luck with Ford and GM. 1.3 million km's on my bro's '95 F250 w/ the 351 windsor, (bought it at 1.2 million)

and 842k on my old '84 S10. Both run great, we still have the '95 Ford. We'd use it more but Holy Christ that thing is bad on gas... fuck sakes..... I *DONT* know where the hell the gas goes on it, but it drinks it quite happily.

Let me know what other years of Dodges are good and I'll start taking a look at a couple of those.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: Need your opinion on a good used truck, half ton or bigger

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Let me know what other years of Dodges are good and I'll start taking a look at a couple of those.
    Mechanical good, or comfort good? Mechanically, hard to beat '89-93 250 Cummins
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride

^ Mechanically. LOL, dont get me started on the '89-93. Ours was a '92... Urgh....

Engine was ROCK solid, but Dodge didn't take into account the weight of the Diesel engine, so our whole front end started falling apart. All the ball joints were shot, brakes, bearings and everything else. You could turn the wheel half a turn in either direction before it would do anything. Basically we couldn't even drive it anymore, because Dodge stopped making parts for it many years ago, so there were none to be had anywhere. So we had to sell it last year, *MINT* with 150k on it,.... as a parts truck.

So we bought the Ford 6.0 right after it in the spring of last year, and now... yeah its been pretty bad luck.

The new ones I'd be open to, mechanically just so long as its good, thats the biggest thing. Seats can be replaced if its THAT bad, but I assume it shouldn't be.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    K-car

Stay far far far away from the 6.4l Ford! Further away than even the 6.0l. A close friend of my Dad's has a fleet of ~100 trucks throughout alberta, 100% Ford. They replaced all their 07 6.0's with 2009-10 6.4's, so far he's had to REPLACE the engines in over half the trucks. He said of all the 6.0's they ran from 04-07 only had to replace 8 entire engines. The 6.4's are a disaster, super hard on fuel, even harder to work on and more complicated than 6.0, and of course the emission system is no fun. A good number of the problems with the 6.4 seem to stem from the regen/dpf system, which in all fairness is removable. The guy we know removed the dpf on his fleet, yet still has issues with engines losing compression. I'd say avoid them!

My Ride

^ Okay. Man Ford is having a hard time getting their shit together. Kind of hard to be a Ford fan at this point.

Not that I really was; I just thought they would have learned from their mistakes.

Way to go guys!

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

You will hear lots of bad things about the 6.4s, but I think like was said above the majority of the problems come from the emissions systems. Deleting the DPF and EGR should solve that. I wouldn't have a problem buying one. I got rid of all my emissions stuff at 16,000km on my Duramax.

I think the best truck would be an 03-07 Dodge 5.9L with a manual transmission. But there's two different manuals offered in those years, a G56 and an NV4500. One is good and the other sucks, and I don't remember which is which. I had an 05 automatic and it was pretty good.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

^ Yeah its odd how many good things I've heard of the 5.9; especially when mated to the Manual. Okay, I'll take some serious looks at a few after this next deal doesn't pan out.

Alright, We just stumbled upon an awesome 2009 Siverado 2500 with the 6.0 gasser & the Z71. Thoughts? They'll do $30k on it. Its frickin' *MINT* and drives as such. My bro was absolutely BLOWN away by it. I just wanted to ask here about it. It has 58k on the clock. He said it was just babied since new... likely owned by a weathy guy who put a fair bit of $$$ into it. New exhaust, tires (etc etc).

Just wondering what rear ends are typical, and what else I can expect, fuel economy wise and so forth. It has the LTZ package, so full load on everything.

Thanks a ton guys. I feel really compelled to get each of you guys' a 12 pack of your fav beer. I can't begin to tell you how helpful you've been this far.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

Really the only negative I can say about the Chevy's is the electrical. PK3+ is a pain in the ass at times.

Otherwise they are very solid.

My Ride
    something green

I had a 6.0 chev gasser for a work truck, it was brand new, 3/4 ton hd It was by far was the hardest vehicle on gas I have ever driven once I had my tools in it.
    I have had them all for work trucks, a Dodge with a cummins has been the best vehicle I have ever used for a service truck. My '06 3500 has been stellar.
    To bad you sold the 92, you can still get parts for it, Chrysler still has parts for my 1985 w150. What makes the steering sloppy on 72-93 Dodges, is the rag joint on the steering box input shaft. I replaced mine with U-joints, and eliminated the movie star steering action.
    A few of us were at the auctions the other week, over a dozen Fords went through, the majority of them never even got one bid. The nicest one of them sold for about 50% of what the Dodges were getting.
    Too loud for Aspen

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride

^ Yeah, I wish I would have had the sense to ask you which Ford dealership you work at. It would have been good to have a great guy that knows his shit before this whole fiasco. Kind of too late now.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ Yeah its odd how many good things I've heard of the 5.9; especially when mated to the Manual. Okay, I'll take some serious looks at a few after this next deal doesn't pan out.

Alright, We just stumbled upon an awesome 2009 Siverado 2500 with the 6.0 gasser & the Z71. Thoughts? They'll do $30k on it. Its frickin' *MINT* and drives as such. My bro was absolutely BLOWN away by it. I just wanted to ask here about it. It has 58k on the clock. He said it was just babied since new... likely owned by a weathy guy who put a fair bit of $$$ into it. New exhaust, tires (etc etc).

Just wondering what rear ends are typical, and what else I can expect, fuel economy wise and so forth. It has the LTZ package, so full load on everything.

Thanks a ton guys. I feel really compelled to get each of you guys' a 12 pack of your fav beer. I can't begin to tell you how helpful you've been this far.

If you're farming I'd stick to a diesel. The new gas engines are decent enough for economy unloaded but throw any trailer on them and they are just terrible.
    -U

My Ride
    Trucks

My last Chev 2500 HD (2008) averaged around 24L/100km and was very solid for the 180,000km I had it. The only repairs were transmission at 120k, driveshaft center bearing at 140k, and ongoing lighting and interior electrical gremlins since 40k. If you do go for a 6.0L, make sure it has a 6 speed and not the old 4 speed or fuel costs will be insane.

My Ride

^ Yeah thats what we got today. Jack Carter had a really nice '09 Silverado 2500HD, LTZ crew cab. So full load with 98k on it. It seems to be very well taken care of, full exhaust, CIA. It has rear airbags too so you can really load it up. They did $30k on it, down from $33. I'll snap some pics since it wasn't on the website.

My Ride
    K-car

I had a 2012 2500 LTZ as a rental for a few weeks while my truck was in the body shop. The 6.0 6 speed was a nice combo, got decent mileage on the highway (1800~rmp @120) no worse than my Dads new diesel. Really nice truck overall.

I think if i was buying a new truck, i'd give the gas motor some serious thought as opposed to diesel. Save 7-9 grand initially, more reliable, way less to maintain, and avoid all the huge ass repair bills that are certain to come with the diesel as it ages. These new diesel engines are getting so complex with the emissions eqipment, i dont want to know how costly they will be to repair after the warranty is up. Just add some bolt on mods to the gasser, and maybe even a supercharger to offset the power gain diesel has over gas.

My Ride

^ Yeah man, it was crazy to see how accessible the engine was in comparison to any diesel I've seen. Too bad the engine is so far back in the bay, otherwise it would be easy as hell to work on. Easily enough power, thanks to the 6 speed its RPM's were super low @ 120, so I think we'll doing alright.

(Sorry, I parked too close to it just now and couldn't get any full shots of it)

Took it for a good boot today, and we were thoroughly impressed.
    You can tell it was owned by a wealthy older guy. Nicely modded, VERY well taken care of, and half the radio presets were shit like Jack FM, or CBC AM radio (etc). no young person could have rightfully owned/driven it.

*HUGE* thanks for everybody that chimed in. You guys really helped a lot and steered me away from some POS's. If I see any of you guys at a Beyond Meet or whatever; Lunch & Beers is on me.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2