Quantcast
Air Conditioning for my house - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning for my house

My Ride
    Sentra

Default Air Conditioning for my house

I found a post a year ago that mentioned a couple options. Just wondering if that's still the guy to call or if anyone knows of a better deal?

I'm not exactly flush with cash so I'll need to shop around, but I'd like to get something as my wife and two kids are home every day and last summer was a bit much heat wise at times.

Thanks

I did my central air myself for about $1600. I did have help from my uncle however as he is a Tin-smith by trade. He really just gave me pointers on the "right way" to do it.

After getting everything done we paid a pro to do the charge piping and charge it. That was a $150 kiss.

If you have the plenum already in your ducting for the A/C then it is fairly simple after that.

I go with the ghetto A/C program, always have a couple of boxes of Popsicles in the freezer. Too hot? Have a Popsicle. Too cold? Put on a sweater.

http://www.popsicle.com

You really do not want to hear of my ghetto hot tub.

My Ride
    NC1

Ask Jordan Lotoski for Gavin's contacts. He did the central air for my house and saved 30% compared to a quote from Sears.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Gavin Rairie
    403-888-1592

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Gavin is the man. My Ac is cranked right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sentra

Thanks, I'll give him a call tomorrow or very soon this week.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Yeah, I'm thinking that this is going to be the summer we install AC as well. It's 26C in the house right now..

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

A balmy 20 degrees in my house...thanks Gavin

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

This is the year we are pulling the trigger too, installing low-E windows in a month or two then going for whole house AC shortly after.

spike98, I have found tons of kits online for around that price range and have long considered the DIY approach. The evaporator just mounts in the plenum right above the furnace, correct? Where did you get your kit from and did you run into anything unexpected? I figured it would be about 3x that to have the system charged so that is encouraging. Did you get any estimates for having the entire system done by a professional? I am just curious what the savings worked out to
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    A balmy 20 degrees in my house...thanks Gavin
    We run it at 18.5 overnight. Pregnant wife needs it cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Zero102
    This is the year we are pulling the trigger too, installing low-E windows in a month or two then going for whole house AC shortly after.

spike98, I have found tons of kits online for around that price range and have long considered the DIY approach. The evaporator just mounts in the plenum right above the furnace, correct? Where did you get your kit from and did you run into anything unexpected? I figured it would be about 3x that to have the system charged so that is encouraging. Did you get any estimates for having the entire system done by a professional? I am just curious what the savings worked out to
    I didn't buy a kit. I purchased everything separate. You are correct where the evap coil goes. If the tin-smith did his job right when the furnace was ducted then its a simple slide in job.

We didn't run into anything unexpected at all. I put down a concrete block and levelled it for the condenser and placed it on the pad. Installed a new breaker and ran the electrical to an outside disconnect box and to the condenser. Put in the evap coil and ran the drain line. Ran the wires for the thermostat and then called the HVAC guy to pipe and charge.

It was cheaper than i thought for the charge and piping but i think that is because im in medicine hat where things are just cheaper in general. Plan for double that in calgary.

I got my system priced out by home depot and sears. Both were around the $5k mark or slightly under. I figured after everything and a few cases of beer i saved myself 3 grand....easily.

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

I had mine done a year or so ago by A and E HVAC. cost about $3000 all in. best price I could find anywhere and they are amazing to deal with. Ive used them many times since then and would highly recommend them!
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

Gavin came and installed a 4ton Ac unit at my place yesterday, super professional job. Would recommend him for sure!

26 inside the house? LOL is Calgary that cool? I remember Calgary being bone dry, so any shade takes away like 10 degrees but 26 is pretty comfortable...
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

Originally posted by bitteeinbit
    26 inside the house? LOL is Calgary that cool? I remember Calgary being bone dry, so any shade takes away like 10 degrees but 26 is pretty comfortable...
    26 in April is pretty warm, I'm sure his house gets warmer then that in the summer.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

spike98, where did you buy your parts from?

For those who had Gavin install their system, what have you paid for the complete setup and what did it include?
    I have been getting quotes (from sears and other similar shops) of $3600-$4500 for a 3-ton unit installed and that sounds a bit steep to me.

I would really like to do A/C this year but I have a feeling that I will only be able to afford a DIY job
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Deebee8

For those who had Gavin install their system, what have you paid for the complete setup and what did it include?
    I have been getting quotes (from sears and other similar shops) of $3600-$4500 for a 3-ton unit installed and that sounds a bit steep to me.

I would really like to do A/C this year but I have a feeling that I will only be able to afford a DIY job
    wow 3600-4000 for a 3 ton unit installed sounds like a pretty good deal, i was getting quoted much higher for a 2.5 ton from 3 different places. what brand did you get quoted on?

I got a 3.5 ton unit installed last summer by W&J Heating for $3600. This is the 2nd time they have installed AC for me. Both times have been excellent.

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

I got a quote from Gavin a few weeks back. For a 3 ton unit (basic york) it was $3500, $3700 for a model up, all in ("wiring, disconnect, breaker, coil, condenser, line set, low ambient, pad and startup"). Came with a 10 year parts warranty. A 2.5 ton unit would have been about $200 less.

In the end I used A&E HVAC as someone else mentioned. 2.5 ton york (model up from the basic one above), full install with a 10 year parts AND labour warranty and a new 5" filter system for just over $3600. All the other details were the same as with Gavin.

I also checked out Action furnace, they were decent as well, $3000 for a 2.5 ton Goodman with a 10 year parts and limited 10 year labour warranty (basically you're still shelling out $900 if the compressor goes).

In the end I thought A&E was really good. The installers were nice guys, easy to deal with. My friend used Gavin in the past and had good things to say about him too. I wouldn't have a problem using either. I'm not sure if Gavin has his own company or is doing these jobs on the side? (I liked the idea of having a company behind the install incase I have any problems). My house is about 1800 sq feet by the way.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast