Quantcast
Shaved Gears in Tranny - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaved Gears in Tranny

My Ride
    1990 Honda Accord LX Coupe

Default Shaved Gears in Tranny

Ok.. My friend told me about his cousin doing this to his 240... He said that his cousin shaved off the gears in his tranny to eliminate the shift pattern... I can see this as being feasable and allow for quicker shifting... How much do you expect this to cost if I were to take my tranny to a machine shop and had them do it?

All opinions welcome

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

I might be misunderstanding, but are you suggesting getting rid of the gate? Or shaving the actual gear teeth? Not familiar with this procedure, and I'm curious how well it would work. How much of an advantage would you get over a short shifter?

My Ride

My friend didn't descibe too well... just said that his cousin shaved the gears.... so instead of having the |-|-| patters in a 5 speed, he could go from 1-4 just by tappin the shifter in that direction without having to follow the |-| down to 4. as a crude display it would look like this
    1 3 5
    _____
    |/\| /\|
    _____
    2 4 R

where the ____ displays going left or right

and the / , \ , and | display shift direction

can't really display shifting from 2-5 too well though...

My Ride
    90hp beast

I can do that in my car alreadywithout the shave... shaving the gears does allow for smoother shifting. But so does buying a new gear assembly.

Either his bud has too much money on his hands. Or he is extremely hardcore....

My Ride
    a wrx.

so it seems like he took out all the magical springs and guides in the shifter? wouldnt that just make it harder to figure out what gear ure in and make it easier to misshift?

haha what a ghetto mod and what a quality post.

arent those tooth suppose lock ur gear in place whenever u r in gear???

My Ride
    '15 GTI

and going 1-4 does what in terms of a cars performance?

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

This reminds me of a Maserati BiTurbo I saw a while ago at one of those crashed car auctions. The shift pattern was totally different, never seen it before. Basically neutral is in the center, and the gears are around it forming a circle, here's a quick picture to make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.

My Ride
    pedals

i dont see how that would help at all. i see a lot of 2-5 gear shifts when in a rush, and maybe a single 5-2 gearshift resulting is a blown engine. anyways, my opinion, forget about it. your friends cuzin is an idiot.
    Last edited by hjr; 02-03-2004 at 07:04 PM.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by powerslave
    This reminds me of a Maserati BiTurbo I saw a while ago at one of those crashed car auctions. The shift pattern was totally different, never seen it before. Basically neutral is in the center, and the gears are around it forming a circle, here's a quick picture to make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.
    im pretty sure thats just the way the picture was...it would probaly still shift like most manuals, 1 is still opposite of 2, and 3 of 4 etc

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Yeah almost every gear shift pattern I've seen has either been gated or a spider, other than SMT's or single throw shifters. I'm thinking if there was a better way, it would have been done a long ago.

Myself I'd do a short throw shifter, but "shaving gears" doesn't seem logical at all. How do you know for sure if you are shifting into 3rd or 5th? What happens if you intend to downshift 5->3 but end up going 5->1. It doesn't make sense to me d00d.

My Ride

Thanks for all your opinions....... That one shift pattern three.eighteen just showed is Wacked.....and to answer 1badpt's question........ You just needa know your cars gearbox well enough before you do it I guess... but like it was said earlier... Misshifting's chance is increased... also, if you just tap the shifter it'll fall outta gear easily.... Ohh well... just wanted some opinions on the subject. Thanks Guys

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by PtrGozinya
    also, if you just tap the shifter it'll fall outta gear easily....
    or when u hit a bump in the road!!

My Ride
    dog sled

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    or when u hit a bump in the road!!

lol, my cars so low,. when I go over speed bumbs the exhaust comes up and hits the shifter out of gear, lol, I can't imagine what would happen if I shaved my gears.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

WAAATHEFUUUU(KK
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride

d00d.. your car get's knocked outta gear going over speed bumps?? WTF

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thats weird...I'm still confused about the whole gearbox thingie..but at my last job..I was a valet and had to drive a 2003 or 2004 Volkswagon Passat and it was standard and it was weird...

It had Reverse where the first gear usually is..then beside it was the normal 1-5...so I started driving and shifted into first and went off but I got maybe a couple metres and kept on stalling and couldnt figure out the damn problem...and then when I needed to reverse I had no clue of doing it cuz I shift to reverse but I would go forward..

Well the reason it was stalling wuz cuz I was in 3rd gear...which I thought was 1st gear since R is in the first gear position and then...when I tried reversing..I was actually in first gear instead of R...it wuz weird when the owner showed me how to reverse..U put the gear into the R position..like the very top right stop..then u clutch and shift down to where there is no gear and then shift it back up into the R...Weird..anyone ever experience this b4?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    dog sled

lol, I've driven a million cars like that, Semis are like that too. where reverse is where first usualy is, my friend was learning to drive on a old bmw like that, he went to gear down and put it in reverse instead of first, I actually heard the motor turn over backwords

Originally posted by angierideswitme
    he went to gear down and put it in reverse instead of first, I actually heard the motor turn over backwords
    I'm going to call bullshit on that one. Unless the shifter was broken, or was built by retarded monkeys, or that car just plain SUCKED EGGS, you should NEVER be able to shift into reverse while you are moving.

My Ride
    dog sled

My friend still has the car, it can be done, it's a 81 bmw 320 I,
    we we're moving pretty slow, and went from second, to reverse, i know on most cars it's hard or even impossible to get it into reverse when you are moving, but this kid did.

The motor is now blown, mostlikely cause the motor turned over backwords.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast