Quantcast
Best gas - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Best gas

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No itÂ’s fine. E85 just means itÂ’s an E85 capable system, it doesnÂ’t mean you have to use fuel with ethanol content.
    only if its again truly designed to run on 87...

Its all about compression and timing to take advantage of the more controlled advantages of higher octane (less prone to pre-ignition). Modern motors with variable valve timing and knock sensors allow an engine's motor to adjust timing to advance timing to capitalize on the benefits.

The ecoboost motor in my truck runs 87 all day long, but "recommends" 91 for towing applications etc... but really the motor programming is tuned for 91 and needs 87 for low load applications, and the knock sensor tells the computer to adjust timing to reduces or prevents knocking/pre-ignition when under moderate/high load. However if there isn't knocking, the computer will proceed with its programming... i.e. higher octane and or say cold temperatures

I am not 100% certain but I would think that there are many cars out there that have a tune that takes advantage of higher octane in order to boost HP/TQ numbers and yet still only require 87 as they would rely on the knock sensor...

That said, its funny how Japanese premium cars with the exact same configuration (well at least based on engine model numbers) will vary stating "premium" on the fuel tank cover, whereby the non-premium version says "regular"

I think this is the case with the ES350 and Avalon, or the 4runner v8 vs the GX470

With cars that don't have any form of variable timing (which really doesn't exist anymore) or are truly truly designed for 87... yes there is ZERO benefit or actually less potential output in putting in a higher rated Octane

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    only if its again truly designed to run on 87...

Its all about compression and timing to take advantage of the more controlled advantages of higher octane (less prone to pre-ignition). Modern motors with variable valve timing and knock sensors allow an engine's motor to adjust timing to advance timing to capitalize on the benefits.

The ecoboost motor in my truck runs 87 all day long, but "recommends" 91 for towing applications etc... but really the motor programming is tuned for 91 and needs 87 for low load applications, and the knock sensor tells the computer to adjust timing to reduces or prevents knocking/pre-ignition when under moderate/high load. However if there isn't knocking, the computer will proceed with its programming... i.e. higher octane and or say cold temperatures

I am not 100% certain but I would think that there are many cars out there that have a tune that takes advantage of higher octane in order to boost HP/TQ numbers and yet still only require 87 as they would rely on the knock sensor...

That said, its funny how Japanese premium cars with the exact same configuration (well at least based on engine model numbers) will vary stating "premium" on the fuel tank cover, whereby the non-premium version says "regular"

I think this is the case with the ES350 and Avalon, or the 4runner v8 vs the GX470

With cars that don't have any form of variable timing (which really doesn't exist anymore) or are truly truly designed for 87... yes there is ZERO benefit or actually less potential output in putting in a higher rated Octane
    I never said that you can ignore the required octane ratings, but you don’t have to seek out fuel with ethanol content specifically on an E85 branded fuel system like GMs etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Does anyone use gas line antifreeze anymore? It was a big thing when I was younger.
    I had a few bottles around, so dumped a bit into the savage Supercar today with $20 of coop 87 fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Does anyone use gas line antifreeze anymore? It was a big thing when I was younger.
    I had a few bottles around, so dumped a bit into the savage Supercar today with $20 of coop 87 fuel.
    Not much need. Stations sell "winter gas" for half the year. So if you have vehicle you haven't filled up since summer, then it's not a bad idea to pour some in, but otherwise you don't need to.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I was under the impression that the antifreeze was meant for -40c and especially with carbureated vehicles (i've never had to use it in Calgary). Most gas here is 'winterized' already.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe those two reasons are why it's not really used any more. I just happen to have a few bottles in my garage, which I bought several years ago, so I toss one in when it is going to be this cold. Probably doesn't help. You never hear of peoples gas lines freezing anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

The best way to get better mileage out of your car is to fill it with diesel. Everyone knows diesel gets the best mileage.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

What are the thoughts on Canadian Tire gas? Noticed tonight they are advertising 91 with no ethanol.

Do we know their supplier?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Shell and nothing but. I run it in all my cars, bikes and trucks and have had brilliant results. The air miles too make it that much better.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Silverado

shell is such a shit company I would rather fill my vehicles with dirty backcountry gas than support them.

Buy gas refined here by companies who want to be here.

My Ride

I'm going to have to give Coop another call. I think they might have finally started putting ethanol in their regular. My truck (with a 87 tune) is going me some CEL's that indicate the fuel is different.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm going to have to give Coop another call. I think they might have finally started putting ethanol in their regular. My truck (with a 87 tune) is going me some CEL's that indicate the fuel is different.
    I would say either crappy winter mix or possible water contamination.

My Ride
    Trucks

Are they still picketing at the refinery in Regina? Their fuel here might not be made by them at this time.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    shell is such a shit company I would rather fill my vehicles with dirty backcountry gas than support them.

Buy gas refined here by companies who want to be here.
    Shell owns and operates Scotford Refinery which is pumping out more than 100,000 bpd. They also own its Chemical Plant attached.

Why so much hate? They didn't BP the Gulf Coast and they didn't Exxon Valdez the Alaskan coast. Aside from that, they're a typical giant energy company, no?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Unless your car is tuned for premium, you wont see a difference. My truck tuned for 91 gets better milage while towing than 87 with stock tune. While not towing, it doesnt match the 20c difference.

The best way to get better mileage for cheap is to use 87 octane without ethanol in it.
    Very "unacademic", but about 13 years ago when I first started driving my car at the time required Premium (Acura Legend Coupe). I tried Regular a few times (as I was a poor student), and found that the added mileage I was getting with Premium justified the cost. Keep in mind though, the differential was far less back then. Back then the price difference between Reg. and Premium was <10%, now its about 15% or more I believe.

The TLX required premium, but I always put in Regular... the fuel mileage was still great so I never experimented... It was also a lease so...
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 02-22-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride

At our altitude, and without forced induction, 87 is almost the same as 91 is at sea level, so you can definitely get away with it, so long as it's good quality 87.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Shell 91 if you want straight gasoline, Husky 94 if youre ok with an ethanol blend. Personally I run H94 as much as I can in my boosted cars. I gave some G&B 94 a go as well and the Subaru seemed to like it, which is a 10:1 compression engine running 13psi of boost.

My Ride
    something green

I resurrected an old truck of mine this last week. I only ever ran co-op gas in this truck because of where I lived and the co-op rebate. It's been sitting with this gas in it for about 6 years now. I put a battery in it and fired it up in -15 deg c weather. Figure it would have turned to some kind of jelly by now.
    Too loud for Aspen

Bump.

Are all Co-op gas grades still 0% ethanol?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Bump.

Are all Co-op gas grades still 0% ethanol?
    Still no "may contain ethanol" stickers on the pumps on MacLeod and Deerfoot Meadows locations. They're legally required if they do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast