Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Best gas

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Always fill with Shell 91

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bump

The octane thread reminded me of this. Curious if people still think Shell is the best or if the go elsewhere.

I religiously fill up at Shell but beginning to think I should start using Coop gas since all grades come apparently ethanol free.
    "Best" is subjective. If you have a boosted application making big power, you probably care more about high octane than good MPG, so you could consider one of the ethanol 94's as being "best".

If Co-op guarantees no ethanol, then the only difference between them and Shell, is that Shell will have their fancy nitrogen enriched secret formula added. But Co-op will just be your basic government standards 91 octane fuel. If you want to save a few bucks, then nothing wrong with Co-op. MPG should be pretty similar as it has no ethanol.

I'd be pretty leery about the supposed claim of "No Ethanol" from Co-op. 87 octane fuel is mandated to have ethanol in it. Refineries don't even blend an 87 octane fuel, they only blend enough heavy into the gasoline to achieve 82 octane, then get it to 87 by blending in ethanol once it's at storage.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They would be required by law to put a "may contain ethanol" sticker on the pumps if there was any ethanol being blended into the fuel. I don't think they'd want to open themselves up to a massive lawsuit and minor fines, just for the sake of a very little known thing such as this, especially when they don't even advertise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They would be required by law to put a "may contain ethanol" sticker on the pumps if there was any ethanol being blended into the fuel. I don't think they'd want to open themselves up to a massive lawsuit and minor fines, just for the sake of a very little known thing such as this, especially when they don't even advertise it.
    Doesn't change the fact that I'm leery about a company bypassing a federal regulation.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that I'm leery about a company bypassing a federal regulation.
    Understandable. My comfort that they dont, comes from the reason they started was because of the massive lawsuit that happened last time they fucked up their fuel.

That, and I always see a noted difference in fuel economy using their 87 octane vs others which have ethanol.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    If Co-op guarantees no ethanol, then the only difference between them and Shell, is that Shell will have their fancy nitrogen enriched secret formula added. But Co-op will just be your basic government standards 91 octane fuel. If you want to save a few bucks, then nothing wrong with Co-op. MPG should be pretty similar as it has no ethanol.

I'd be pretty leery about the supposed claim of "No Ethanol" from Co-op. 87 octane fuel is mandated to have ethanol in it. Refineries don't even blend an 87 octane fuel, they only blend enough heavy into the gasoline to achieve 82 octane, then get it to 87 by blending in ethanol once it's at storage.
    My 4Runner gets 87 from Shell, has since I got it like 7-8 years ago. I think the only way to truly know if Coop 87 gas is ethanol-free would be to test it, but I don't care that much

Source was from here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Trucks

10-12% fuel usage savings using Co-op regular gasoline for the fleet of Chevy van/trucks at the last place I worked for. (compared to any other brand fuel in Calgary). I’d place money on not having ethanol in it.

Has anybody argued that Co-op does have ethanol in their fuel?

Sounds like Coop premium is ethanol free but regular and midgrade may not be http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/P...s-GASOLINE.pdf

Federal regulations regarding ethanol content are for producers/importers only so it is very possible that Coop's retail offerings are all ethanol free.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-14-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

I always missed Chevron gas from when we lived in BC, but it looks like they are putting one in on the old Fasgas property on 12th St just off Mcknight near my shop! Woot!

Only time I have ever seen a need for Shell in one of my bikes is on the turbo zx14. Every other bike has ran fine on basically anything. my BBC gets shell as well with a booster.

I think as all motors these days have knock sensors to adjust timing, you just don't find a huge difference between different gas at the same octane

that said, with a 2 stroke high compression (150+ lbs) motor, or a high performance high compression low displacement (say 600 or liter bike super sport) boy... yes, ethanol free runs cooler and more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    I think as all motors these days have knock sensors to adjust timing, you just don't find a huge difference between different gas at the same octane
    ^This.
    I would say anything OEM is not going to break because you pumped 87 in a 91 recommended engine. The KS will take care of it and worst case, you have poor performance which I would bet you wouldn't even notice except on a hot day, jamming on it up a hill off a red light. At best, you'll have some lag which is timing being pulled and if this wasn't a car site, you'd just complain your C300 is getting old.
    During your "World Rush Hour Championship" you won't even notice.

Shell's V-Power formula has been updated as of April. Apparently it has improvements to better protect against gunk, corrosion, wear and friction. Probably next to impossible to notice these improvements as part of daily driving, but i'm sure long term it has to be better for engines.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

yes, ethanol free runs cooler and more consistent.
    How do you figure gas runs cooler than ethanol?

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    How do you figure gas runs cooler than ethanol?
    not that its nature does, but I do believe that its been an outcome in the case where it may run leaner. Also Ethanol absorbs moisture, which is why most boats should avoid if it sits in a slip

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Shell's V-Power formula has been updated as of April. Apparently it has improvements to better protect against gunk, corrosion, wear and friction. Probably next to impossible to notice these improvements as part of daily driving, but i'm sure long term it has to be better for engines.
    Though considering most people don't keep the same vehicle for much more than 7-8 years, its rather pointless.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

not that its nature does, but I do believe that its been an outcome in the case where it may run leaner. Also Ethanol absorbs moisture, which is why most boats should avoid if it sits in a slip
    Not sure what you're getting at but ethanol runs a lot cooler than gas because it has a higher latent heat of evap. Some guys running E85 or E98 on boosted applications can even get away without an IC whereas you'd definitely need one for a gas car. The difference between E0 and E10 won't be very extreme but you may see a nominal cooling benefit with E10.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Anyone done the math to see if the added cost of premium gas actually pays for itself by better mileage compared to regular gas?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most vehicles, probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast