Quantcast
iPod as code reader or CT code reader? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: iPod as code reader or CT code reader?

My Ride
    Edge

Default iPod as code reader or CT code reader?

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with using their iPhone, iPod, or Android device as a code reader. Something like the Innovative Motorsports OT-2 OT-2 or the Lemur BlueDriver BlueDriver. There are a couple of others which I can't think of at the moment.

I popped my first code yesterday on my way to my mom's place in Airdrie. My step-dad has a code reader so I found out I have a cylinder 3 misfire, which confirms what I was feeling. I would rather not be without a code reader and don't want the 45 minute drive just to diagnose what is wrong, or even the drive to Auto Value. I'm at 161k km so it's time to get the plugs done and I'm hoping that's all it is.

I know CT puts their code readers on for 1/2 price fairly often but these apps do some data logging as well, although I don't have a wideband so I am a bit limited in that department. Of course, I could bundle the OT-2 with a wideband but I'm not sure if I'll ever get a tune anyway.

I guess that's two questions then:

1. Does anyone have experience with an app for code reading and data logging and how well does it work? The nice thing would be having it with me in the car all the time.

2. I'm not planning on getting a tune (likely not but I don't know for sure), but it would still be nice to monitor AFR, although not necessary. Without a tune and wideband, would a code reader from CT be the better option?

Actually, another quick question on the problem. The misfire is intermittent. It stopped sometime just outside of Airdrie on the way there (and wasn't doing it consistently the whole way, just under load), and didn't do it again until this morning. But this morning was just a few misfires and no SES light.

I will be taking my car to Brasso to get the plugs done. Should I mention the code? I don't want to be charged a diagnostic fee for them to check for the code to confirm it or, if the car does misfire while they have it, I don't want to pay for them to tell me something I already know.

If you are getting a code for cylinder 3 misfire and can't change the spark plugs yourself, I would consider bringing it to Brasso to get them to check the code rather than telling them to just change your plugs. Could be something else triggering the code and then you're gonna have to bring it back for them to do more work if it's not the spark plugs. Not sure if your car has coil packs or not but could be those too. Code readers only good if you can do your own work cause it will help narrow down the repairs but its not gonna tell you exactly whats wrong. If you can't even change your own plugs, just take it to a reputable shop and get them to take care of it.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by del-lude
    If you are getting a code for cylinder 3 misfire and can't change the spark plugs yourself, I would consider bringing it to Brasso to get them to check the code rather than telling them to just change your plugs. Could be something else triggering the code and then you're gonna have to bring it back for them to do more work if it's not the spark plugs. Not sure if your car has coil packs or not but could be those too. Code readers only good if you can do your own work cause it will help narrow down the repairs but its not gonna tell you exactly whats wrong. If you can't even change your own plugs, just take it to a reputable shop and get them to take care of it.
    Quite true. I have changed plugs on a Stanza before but that was very simple and straightforward. In this case I cannot do the work myself. It is about a 2-hour job as the intake has to come off to get to the rear bank and not only is that beyond my comfort zone, I live in a townhouse and have no garage. And yes, I do have coil packs and am hoping it isn't one of tho$e.

I first got an email from Brasso last year saying they recommend the plugs be done between 140k-150k (maybe 150k-160k). Then I got another email early this year about that again. So, I guess I'll make an appointment to do the plugs and save money by not getting a code reader right now. I just like to know what is going on so I know I'm not getting ripped off, although I do trust Brasso.

Thanks for the advice.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Just so you know, i have an ot2 for sale i want 80$ for it. Barely used...works great just have no use for it.

Let me know via pm if you want it.

Originally posted by duaner

Quite true. I have changed plugs on a Stanza before but that was very simple and straightforward. In this case I cannot do the work myself. It is about a 2-hour job as the intake has to come off to get to the rear bank and not only is that beyond my comfort zone, I live in a townhouse and have no garage. And yes, I do have coil packs and am hoping it isn't one of tho$e.

I first got an email from Brasso last year saying they recommend the plugs be done between 140k-150k (maybe 150k-160k). Then I got another email early this year about that again. So, I guess I'll make an appointment to do the plugs and save money by not getting a code reader right now. I just like to know what is going on so I know I'm not getting ripped off, although I do trust Brasso.

Thanks for the advice.
    The intake and wiper tranmisson have to come off to do the plugs on a altima.
    I would be surprised if a plug is causing a dead miss with that miliage. Vq engines have poor coils on them, the only way to find out what ones are bad is to get them scoped. Rember a dtc is a effect, not a cause.
    As for code readers,
    really all code readers under $1500 are virtually the same. They all access the OBDII/generic CAN buss side of the pcm. If you buy a $50 or $150 it doesnt really matter because the info available to the tool is the same. If you spend more a get a vin spiecific tool then it makes a difference, because you can access the whole network, not just a tiny portion of the pcm.

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by HO2S

The intake and wiper tranmisson have to come off to do the plugs on a altima.
    I would be surprised if a plug is causing a dead miss with that miliage. Vq engines have poor coils on them, the only way to find out what ones are bad is to get them scoped. Rember a dtc is a effect, not a cause.
    As for code readers,
    really all code readers under $1500 are virtually the same. They all access the OBDII/generic CAN buss side of the pcm. If you buy a $50 or $150 it doesnt really matter because the info available to the tool is the same. If you spend more a get a vin spiecific tool then it makes a difference, because you can access the whole network, not just a tiny portion of the pcm.
    Thanks, that's good to know. My step-dad thought it was likely a coil but who's to say. I know that some guys swap the coils to see where the misfire happens the next time but I'm just going to get the plugs done and go from there.

Made an appointment with Brasso for Wed. Told them about the code and I'll let them figure it out. I just don't know if my step-dad cleared it or not. I had two codes but one is some light control circuit malfunction (P0650) and I'm not concerned about that. There was at least one he couldn't clear.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Just so you know, i have an ot2 for sale i want 80$ for it. Barely used...works great just have no use for it. Let me know via pm if you want it.
    PM sent.