Quantcast
School Me On Bikes! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School Me On Bikes!

My Ride
    2006 Ford Focus

Question School Me On Bikes!

Hey Beyond Members,

I recently got my first bike, a ninja 250, then after a month and a half I sold it so that I could upgrade. I'm now getting a GSX-R750, however I guess I should've thought it through before signing the lease agreement...

What I mean to say is, can anyone school me on bikes? Like what I need to do to take care of them. I have a few questions in particular but any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
    How do you clean them? (Can I take it to the coin wash)

How often/what type of chain lube should I be using? (Every two weeks or like a certain amount of km)

Should I be using premium or regular grade gasoline?

Do I really have to follow the break in period? (I mean at the factory, every gear is redlined to make sure it won't die, right?)

Any and all bike etiquette?

Thanks,
    Noob Rider
    <(^(Oo)^)>

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

bring a rag with you, clean off the seat after you spray the bike down (unless u like your ass wet) I just wash my bikes at the car wash

I oil my chain and clean it every 500kms

Premium fuel should be used especially in 600cc+ bikes

I personally would just drive it normally without hitting redline for the first 250-500 kms.

The 750 isnt a slow bike by any means... I rode my buddys 09 and it was a night and day difference from my 600cc CBR... You sure you`re prepared for that big of a step in power? Ride safe man. Dont go doing stupid shit or redlining every gear (Ive power shifted my bike close to redline only once and after 10k rpms thats a lot of speed you`re picking up)

My Ride
    ZX10 Street / CBR600 Track

Coin wash is ok. Wash it using the prewash function and then rinse. Don't spray it too close and drive water into the chain or wheels - you will shorten your chain life and maybe drive greese out of the wheel bearings. General rule, be gentle on it with a power washer. Lube your chain every 800 - 1,000k and after every rain ride - after the chain is dry of course. Lube your chain when you return from a ride while the chain is warm, not before or the lube will fling off your chain making your cleaning job more difficult. Premium gas unless your owners manual says something different.

Break in as per your owners manual, then ride it like you stole it. With proper maintenance your engine will last for 100k. Never go further than 5k on your oil and never never use car oil in your bike.
    "Live on the Redline" www.redlinecalgary.com

My Ride
    2006 Ford Focus

Thanks guys, the advice is great. I've had the bike now for about two weeks? And it's great fun. Love the power and handling is great, granted that I am slower around tight corners more so than when I had my ninja.

Another question I have is, what chain lube or wax are you guys using?
    <(^(Oo)^)>

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by tinfoildork
    Love the power and handling is great, granted that I am slower around tight corners more so than when I had my ninja.
    This is probably a combination of things. One is perception, you're probably going faster than you think, it just isn't ringing it's neck like you were on the 250, and 2 is your skill set, the bike is able to go around the corner faster than you are at this point. Ride within your limits because doing anything else is a good way to not have a 750 for long.

Another question I have is, what chain lube or wax are you guys using?
    I use motul chain lube. I accidentally bought some of the wax once, that shit is nasty and it gets on everything.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.