Quantcast
A Canuck kills a Bruin!! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Canuck kills a Bruin!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Should we ban fishing since we use bait? I've never tried slapping fish out of the water like a bear. Not sure how difficult that might be.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Holy fucking hippies in this thread...

The bear population is growing and in some areas out of control. I am currently working in lloydminster and I see bears all over lease roads north of town. Local farmers actually HIRE hunters to come control the bears as they kill livestock etc...

Edit: I've actually got a bear hunt lined up a little later this summer.

Originally posted by rage2
    Should we ban fishing since we use bait? I've never tried slapping fish out of the water like a bear. Not sure how difficult that might be.
    Thy is quite a bit different . The whole difficulty of hunting is supposed to be tracking the animals, setting up a location and waiting for a shot. Not attracting every meat eating animal in a 5 mile radius to you location and dropping them, soo badass!!! Even my hunting friends think bear baiting is poor practice, along with fishing with spot lights it's pretty much the bottom rung of the sport hunting ladder.
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.

I dunno what the big deal is. Either you're "for" hunting/meat eating or you're "against" it. Personal choice.
    Always seems funny that those against it have to vehemently chastise those who hunt. But meat eaters/hunters have no problem with "anti's" or vegans.

It's a legal hunt, period.

I couldn't do it, but I have no problems with those that do.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Sport hunting is fucking pathetic as far as I'm concerned. Ending an animal's life for a momentary thrill is nothing a grown man should be proud of.
    Relevant:

Originally posted by rage2
    Spear fishing is way more badass anyway, haha.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Why would you hunt bears with little sticks with sharpened ends at the very least? Did this bear actually bleed out from that arrow or something... it seemed to run off pretty quickly and didn't seem *that* phased.

I'm not really a huge fan of hunting in the first place, but if you're gonna do it, at least use a suitable weapon to reduce the pain of the animal.
    A common broadhead and a reasonably high-draw bow will cause pretty massive internal damage, even in something as large as a bear. Shots are usually placed just behind the front leg to pierce the heart and lungs. In smaller animals (deer, etc.) it's not uncommon to have the arrow blow right through it and out the other side if you don't hit a bone.

I have no qualms with black bear hunting provided populations are maintained, which they are.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

A common broadhead and a reasonably high-draw bow will cause pretty massive internal damage, even in something as large as a bear. Shots are usually placed just behind the front leg to pierce the heart and lungs. In smaller animals (deer, etc.) it's not uncommon to have the arrow blow right through it and out the other side if you don't hit a bone.

I have no qualms with black bear hunting provided populations are maintained, which they are.
    Exactly. That's why there's "minimum" limits to the size of broadheads. You couldn't hunt with a practice arrow, it doesn't do enough damage. A properly placed arrow can kill as effectively as a bullet.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

^Yup, additionally the draw weight for the bow is regulated; 40lb minimum for hunting, most are in the 60+ range for compounds.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Video is private! eeeffffuuuu!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

haha, what a bunch of sissies in this thread! Oh noes, he legally killed a bear for sport?!!

I've seen some videos of an old friend of mine bow hunting bears, it's insane how lethal those things are. It's not uncommon for the arrow to go in one side and right out the other, the bear takes off like a bat out of hell, bleeds out and drops.

It's incredibly efficient and "humane", much more than a gun imo. If you've ever had a fast cut/stabbing wound etc. you know that you didn't even feel it and all the sudden you're bleeding. A properly placed shot is so fast and deadly that the animal doesn't even know what happened and it'll be dead before it even feels pain.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Silverado

I am glad this thread changed direction.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 05-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    ^Yup, additionally the draw weight for the bow is regulated; 40lb minimum for hunting, most are in the 60+ range for compounds.
    Man 40 sounds really low, I think I was using a 40 when I was like 15 and had no upper body strength

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    haha, what a bunch of sissies in this thread! Oh noes, he legally killed a bear for sport?!!
    no-hunting is a sport. Standing there waiting to kill an animal that came to a barrel of food you put out is just sad.

Putting a video of aforementioned event on youtube is really sad.

^pussy. Is duck hunting really sad too then?
    Sitting in a camouflaged blind with fake plastic ducks, calling them in and then shooting them?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Anyone see the Calgary Sun cover today? "Trouble Bruin" Hahaha oh god, who comes up with this shit? Haha

Yeah, typical grade-school journalism coming from Platt. Slander a guy for doing something perfectly legal.
    You don't like bait hunting? Fine...go lobby the powers that set the hunting regulations. But to personally attack a person who is hunting by the regs just cuz you don't like it? What a child.

This is what happens when a journalist skews the facts & sensationalizes the article to support his own morals.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by J-hop

Man 40 sounds really low, I think I was using a 40 when I was like 15 and had no upper body strength
    40 is low for a compound but mid-range for a recurve; the regulations make no distinction between them. Application is clearly at the hunter's discretion; I wouldn't use my 45# recurve on bears, but I'm sure it would have no problems taking deer. It'd be next to impossible for the gov't to regulate draw weight on a per-species basis, so I figure they put out 40# as a bare minimum and let the hunter figure out the rest.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    ^pussy. Is duck hunting really sad too then?
    Sitting in a camouflaged blind with fake plastic ducks, calling them in and then shooting them?
    Not to mention using bugles and calls for hunting deer and elk. Those don't compromise a hunt, but bear baiting with barrels and treeing cougars with dogs don't sit quite as well with me.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

Jesus H Christ, you guys are a bunch of babies. Minus Rage2.
    I muchly enjoyed the gopher and fishing comments.

Wow....Compare that diatribe of Platt's with an actual piece of respectable journalism:

Edmonton Journal

Bear baiting legal if it isn’t near grizzlies: ministry

EDMONTON - It started with a Tweet that read: “In Alberta trying to kill a few bruins.”

Within hours, the Tweet posted by Vancouver Canucks forward David Booth sparked a flurry of reaction among Twitter users and in the media. Booth, from his Twitter account D_Booth7, posted a link to the video of his kill on YouTube on May 12.

The video has since been removed, but the backlash was swift and furious. While some Twitter users supported Booth, others condemned the killing, with some slamming his hockey skills in the bargain.

Claire_McMaster tweeted at him, saying, “instead of cowardly killing bears for fun because u r a spoiled, rich kid, u should try being less cowardly on the ice. Van=0 cups.”

User SarahKmiech wrote, “Hey“Coward Bear Killer.”

Booth’s hunt created controversy because he was bear baiting, a hunting technique that involves leaving out food to attract the animal. The technique is legal in most of Alberta, and is also permitted in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. It’s illegal in British Columbia, where Booth lives.

The difference is related to each province’s bear populations, said Dave Ealey, a spokesperson for Alberta’s department of environment and sustainable resource development.

In B.C., bear baiting is illegal because a hunter looking to trap a black bear might accidentally kill a grizzly instead, said Ealey.

Out of the 40, 000 black bears in Alberta, about 2,750 are killed by hunters every year, though it’s unclear how many are through bear baiting.

“(Hunting for sport) is absolutely essential for us to manage bear populations in this province,” Ealey said.

Maurice Nadeau has been hunting bears for about three decades. The former president of the Alberta Fish and Game Association said he supports bear baiting because he can choose the bear he kills, and he can avoid shooting ones that are too young or mothers with cubs.

Nadeau said he thinks some are using Booth’s celebrity status as a springboard to criticize bear baiting and hunting in general.

“Being a hunter doesn’t make a person a bad person or a less talented hockey player,” Nadeau said. “And it shouldn’t take away from anything he does as a hockey player ... because he killed a bear.”

In a statement, the Canucks said they have no problem with Booth choosing to hunt.

Specialty channel Wild TV, which took Booth on his hunting expedition, has also aired episodes featuring former Edmonton Oilers players Steve MacIntyre and Louie DeBrusk. Oilers forward Ryan Jones was also on the show.

Booth didn’t respond to comments on Twitter, but in posting his video, he wrote, “ ... you have every right not to watch just like i have the right to choose to hunt.”

Nadeau took the same line.

“I’m a proud hunter and I don’t care if people don’t like it. It’s my quality of life and I am enjoying it. And nobody’s going to take that away from me.”

[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast