Quantcast
Advice Needed, 1999 Tahoe Ignition barrel replacement. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Advice Needed, 1999 Tahoe Ignition barrel replacement.

Default Advice Needed, 1999 Tahoe Ignition barrel replacement.

Ive bought the the new ignition barrel and key set for my 1999 Chev TAHOE any who, ive been reading that I need to be very careful about the airbags when removing the old worn out (key no longer worked) ignition barrel, anyone have any experience. links to web sites

Ive never set off a air bag or heard of one going off replacing a lock cylinder.

Firsts things first, unless it is a genuine GM part return it and get gm parts. The aftermarket passlock sensors change their resistance too much and throw invalid data codes.

Take the plastic covers off the column. put the key in the cylinder and turn it to the on postion. There is a tab on the side of the housing in the column press it in and pull on the key and slide the cylinder out. If the key will not move to the on position, you have to make it by drilling or hammering. If you fuck this up you get to replace the column and thats going to be very expensive. Grab the new cylinder and key, put key in cylinder and move it to the on position and slide the cylinder into the column then turn the key to off.
    The truck will not start now because you have to do a relearn on the passlock system. Turn the key to the on position, the theft light will be flashing. Leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes and the theft light will stop flashing. When the light stops flashing turn the ignition off for 5 seconds, Then turn it back to the on position. The theft light will be flashing again, repeat the procudure three times. It will take you a half hour to program the system then the truck will start.

Thanks for the reply, let me clarify, The lock was smashed out and can be turned on and off with a Screw driver so I don't think the key would be coded in any way.

its a little tricky cause the ignition can easily be left on, if im not very careful. ill have a look and follow your advice tomorrow, though from what your saying it maybe a little difficult to remove the cylinder if there isn't a key to grab to pull the cylinder out.

The key its self is not coded, on the top of the lock cylinder there is a black box that is the passlock sensor. You cannot remove it off of the cylinder and the new one comes with one. A new cylinder and a new key cut according to your vin should be about $400 from GM.
    For this exact reason is why transponder keys came out. As long as you can pull the tumblers out, your driving away with the car.

Just push in the tab and pull the old lock cylinder out with a pair of pliers and you will be fine.

My Ride
    2010 Pontiac G3 GT Coupe 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (DD)

Originally posted by HO2S
    The key its self is not coded, on the top of the lock cylinder there is a black box that is the passlock sensor. You cannot remove it off of the cylinder and the new one comes with one. A new cylinder and a new key cut according to your vin should be about $400 from GM.
    For this exact reason is why transponder keys came out. As long as you can pull the tumblers out, your driving away with the car.

Just push in the tab and pull the old lock cylinder out with a pair of pliers and you will be fine.
    $400 is far off my friend. i just had to replace my igntion lock cylinder on my 1999 pontiac sunfire. The GM labour op is the exact same for most GM's minus any the have the igntion key on the dash.

But my oem ignition lock cylinder was $138 after taxes the 1999 Tahoe is around $159 range. also if the OP brings his insurance an registration to prove current ownership of said SUV. gm will tell him the key point's the have a key re cut an re pin the new ignition lock cylinder.

If the airbag issue concerns you, simply remove the airbag fuse an disconnect the battery. (GM does reccomend that you wait 10 minuets for any static discharge to dissapate.)

britjoe, if you need any help with install pm me.
    It is frustratingly reliable, truly the cockroach of automobiles.

Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR

$400 is far off my friend. i just had to replace my igntion lock cylinder on my 1999 pontiac sunfire. The GM labour op is the exact same for most GM's minus any the have the igntion key on the dash.

But my oem ignition lock cylinder was $138 after taxes the 1999 Tahoe is around $159 range. also if the OP brings his insurance an registration to prove current ownership of said SUV. gm will tell him the key point's the have a key re cut an re pin the new ignition lock cylinder.

If the airbag issue concerns you, simply remove the airbag fuse an disconnect the battery. (GM does reccomend that you wait 10 minuets for any static discharge to dissapate.)

britjoe, if you need any help with install pm me.
    Yup my bad, I just looked at the invoice for the last one I did. I was $170.

My Ride
    2010 Pontiac G3 GT Coupe 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (DD)

Originally posted by HO2S

Yup my bad, I just looked at the invoice for the last one I did. I was $170.
    np,it happens.
    It is frustratingly reliable, truly the cockroach of automobiles.