Quantcast
frankenstein swap for 92 prelude si? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: frankenstein swap for 92 prelude si?

My Ride
    1992 Honda Prelude Si

Default frankenstein swap for 92 prelude si?

as far as engine work goes im still learning and i was wondering if anyone out there could tell me about a frankenstein swap on my 2.3 Liter DOHC non-vtec (H22a). I'm working on a very tight budget (student in college) and can't really go the whole "buy a B16c" route. I just wanna get a vtec head from another prelude or something like that and put it on top of my block that is already in the car. if anyone could help me out with general prices for this kind of project as well as any other things i need to buy (i.e. ECU, etc.) it'd be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

My Ride
    95 trooper, 04 avy, 00 tahoe

first of all throwing a b16a into a prelude would be stupid... your h23a (not h22a which is the vtec model) has more torque than a b16 and around the same horsepower. the only upgrade that is worthwhile on a prelude is a h22a. B16 and 18 series are good upgrades for integras and civics not preludes.. the engines are completely different going from an h23 to h22 head.. better off just waiting for the cash to come in for a full swap

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Turbo your H23a. Way more power in the end, and you could do it fairly cheaply if you play your cards right. You can get a custom exhaust manifold made up, and the stock motor should be good for 4 or 5 lbs of boost before you start breaking ring lands.

The nice part about the H23A is the steel cylinder liners, you can run forged pistons no problem, unlike the H22a which had carbon reinforced sleeves.. they hate the forged pistonies.

I swapped an h22a into my 4th gen Prelude (man I miss that car) and in the end I was kicking myself for not going turbo H23a.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    1990 300ZX GS body w/ 1993 JDM VG30DETT front clip

jus look at XES's, wasnt it (still is?) the fastest lude in the province? was the fastest fwd car? all on a H23a w/ oodles of boost

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Originally posted by kevie88
    I swapped an h22a into my 4th gen Prelude (man I miss that car) and in the end I was kicking myself for not going turbo H23a.
    Why? Are you tired of the hassels you have had with your new car? If so I can understand that.

You should come out to a meet one of these days. I have not seen your car yet.

My Ride
    Black rocket

Originally posted by kevie88
    The nice part about the H23A is the steel cylinder liners, you can run forged pistons no problem, unlike the H22a which had carbon reinforced sleeves.. they hate the forged pistonies.
    ...it would if the information given was correct. Unfortunately it is not. To start out, all S2000 and 1990 and later VTEC and SI Preludes have Fiber-Reinforced Metal (FRM) cylinder liners. That obviously includes both the H22 and H23 motors (both open and closed deck configurations).

While there still is some debate of whether you can run certain types of forged pistons in blocks with FRM liners, there is no debate on the fact that the H22 & H23 use the same block materials, etc.

As for what was said about my prelude...so far it is the fastest 4th gen prelude that I know of (anywhere). If you don't believe me check either Honda-tech or Superhonda.com.
    XES

H22A/F20B S372turbo (800+whp)

Originally posted by sandman
    jus look at XES's, wasnt it (still is?) the fastest lude in the province? was the fastest fwd car? all on a H23a w/ oodles of boost
    I think that daytona is the fastest FWD now.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by XES

...it would if the information given was correct. Unfortunately it is not. To start out, all S2000 and 1990 and later VTEC and SI Preludes have Fiber-Reinforced Metal (FRM) cylinder liners. That obviously includes both the H22 and H23 motors (both open and closed deck configurations).

While there still is some debate of whether you can run certain types of forged pistons in blocks with FRM liners, there is no debate on the fact that the H22 & H23 use the same block materials, etc.

As for what was said about my prelude...so far it is the fastest 4th gen prelude that I know of (anywhere). If you don't believe me check either Honda-tech or Superhonda.com.

oops, I was under the assunmption that the H23a did not share the FRM liners.. you are correct sir!
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    94 acura integra

Question h23a into integra

Hey guys i need help. can you tell me if its a good idea to put a 92 prelude h23a into my 94 integra. if you guys can tell me all the info you can can it would be extremely helpful. thanks

Default Re: h23a into integra

Originally posted by customrider
    Hey guys i need help. can you tell me if its a good idea to put a 92 prelude h23a into my 94 integra. if you guys can tell me all the info you can can it would be extremely helpful. thanks
    IMO, its not a good idea. It'll throw off your weight distribution a bit. For the same price as that swap you could have a turbo in your car or a n/a engine with alot more power than the H23a.
    I live my life a beer at a time, nothing else matters.

My Ride
    94 acura integra

thanks
    but what do you mean by n/a engine.. i dont have any engine in it now. and im trying to decide what would be good.. what about a h22a.. or a b18.. i imagine the b18s cost ALOT though.. i havent checked on that yet.. do you have any suggestions.

Originally posted by customrider
    thanks
    but what do you mean by n/a engine.. i dont have any engine in it now. and im trying to decide what would be good.. what about a h22a.. or a b18.. i imagine the b18s cost ALOT though.. i havent checked on that yet.. do you have any suggestions.
    N/A means naturally aspired engine in other words no forced induction like ur turbos or supers