Quantcast
Recycling bin contents-strange incident - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recycling bin contents-strange incident

My Ride
    CBR 929

Default Recycling bin contents-strange incident

So ran into a neighbor while outside today.

Neighbor says yesterday afternoon while no-one was home at our house, a City of Calgary Waste and Recycling Services pick-up truck and police officer pulled up in front of our house.

The cop stayed in the car typing on the computer. Recycling guys walked up to our front step, took the recycling bin to the lawn, emptied it into a bag and put it in their truck. Then they all left. No notes, no contact no nothing, I had no idea until the neighbor told me.

Recycling was picked up as regularly scheduled on thursday, bin was full of some cardboard boxes I had cut down. It was so full I couldn't fit other recycling in there, so after they collected it I pulled the bins back up by the house and put the extra in there-now this is boring recycling, slurpee cups, cat food tins, mostly flyers, some cracker boxes etc.. typical run of the mill recycling. It is gone... Now granted I might throw the odd styrofoam thing in there or something that is plastic that I don't really know if it is recyclable, but never anything dangerous-no chemicals, explosives etc...

Called the city today, they can't get the recycling people to get back to me until Tuesday. Called the police non-emerg line and they have no record of the police coming to our address and make it sound like this is something they can't or don't keep track of.

As the recycling bin was well on our property (by the front door) would they need legal paperwork to take this? I think the garbage bin was empty, neighbor said nothing about that being touched.

I think the garbage bin was empty, don't know if they would of taken those contents too had something been in there.
    Last edited by bignerd; 05-19-2012 at 08:56 PM.

[url]

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

As far as I know they do not need a warrant to take it since you have discarded it and the blue, black and green bins are the property of the city.

Most likely someone on your street has been tossing stuff they shouldn't be and they incorrectly singled out your bin as the culprit. Nothing will come of it since there was nothing in there that was prohibited. Police were probably there just in case you were home and turned out to be a nutjob.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    CBR 929

The bin is the property of the city, not the contents. As well it was not out on the street for collection, well back on our property-not sure how this works legally.

If they are looking for stuff being recycled that is prohibited, why not come and check the bins on recycling day before the truck takes them?

[url]

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Garbage and by extension, recycling/compost, is not protected from search. When you toss it, you give up rights to it.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Fraser... You really think they would bother the police because someone put a nonrecyclable in the blue bin?

I'd say there is more to this than that... And it certainly is odd, but I wouldn't worry about it. If they did this earlier, there would have been more room for this latest series of recyclables.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Well if they were checking for non-recyclable items why not check on the day it is being picked up before or as the truck comes around to get it?

We always leave our bins outside on the side of the house, so not sure if someone has taken note of this. Will be putting them in the garage then, although I did throw some rotten potatoes and some dog puke I cleaned up this morning in there for them if they wish to come back.

Just happens to be chance that they checked them the day AFTER normal collection and I had crap in there, normally you would expect peoples bins to still be empty.

[url]

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Fraser... You really think they would bother the police because someone put a nonrecyclable in the blue bin?
    The police most likely don't care, but they would be going with the city crew just in case. You never know what nutjob is going to come running out as soon as the city tries to remove the recycling.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Plus like I said I have never put anything in there dangerous, and the bin on collection day was too full to put much else in, will wait and see what the city says next week. Going to go by the district station tomorrow to see. Neighbor thinks they remember the cop car number.

Just find it hard that the police info line seems to think they don't keep track of these things.

[url]

Were any of your neighbors noticeably pregnant the last couple weeks? Someone stashing a baby in your blue bin maybe?

Maybe someone did something shady in the community and put the tool/weapon in your bin?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

It would be nice if there was a record for the incident available to the owner. Hopefully they weren't trying to write a ticket but rather serve the public but preventing something.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Default Re: Recycling bin contents-strange incident

Originally posted by bignerd
    Now granted I might throw the odd styrofoam thing in there
    Enviro-police are coming to get you.

Default Re: Recycling bin contents-strange incident

So ran into a neighbor while outside today.....
    Hahaha...that's you over at the "AO forum"!
    Very interesting story. I sure hope you find a conclusion to it. That would drive me nuts. Keep us posted.

if the bins are beside your house a warrant would be needed to enter your property, if they are on the street they are considered discarded and free game FWIR

My Ride
    CBR 929

A small piece of info I found out from the police station, there was a cop on our street at that same time and the cop car number almost matches what my neighbor said (same numbers, different order).

Cop car was about 10 houses down from me for a strange person trying doorknobs on houses at the same time my neighbor said the city was at our house. The cop at the station is going ask that cop if they saw anything-haven't heard back yet.

Could be if the cop stopped to say Hey to the city workers or whatever there will be no record of it on their end since it wasn't a real call.

City won't get back to me until Tuesday at the earliest.

[url]

A small piece of info I found out from the police station, there was a cop on our street at that same time and the cop car number almost matches what my neighbor said (same numbers, different order).

Cop car was about 10 houses down from me for a strange person trying doorknobs on houses at the same time my neighbor said the city was at our house. The cop at the station is going ask that cop if they saw anything-haven't heard back yet.

Could be if the cop stopped to say Hey to the city workers or whatever there will be no record of it on their end since it wasn't a real call.

City won't get back to me until Tuesday at the earliest.
    Maybe some B&E clown dumped off his tools in your bin?

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

You know if the police officer had reason to grab the trash because as people were saying 'that someone stashed something there' you would still think they would at least tell you anyway and I don't know why they would need a garbage worker to do it, especially since they might risk damaging evidence just dumping it into a bag.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

if you live in one of those white trash neighbour hoods he was probable looking for empties.(you know they are severly underpaid)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Originally posted by cancer man
    if you live in one of those white trash neighbour hoods he was probable looking for empties.(you know they are severly underpaid)
    The police and garbage workers teamed up to steal empty cans?

They must be making millions
    Last edited by Maybelater; 05-21-2012 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride
    G6

Sounds like they're trying to compile some evidence on the slave labour T-shirt making business you've got going in the basement. Probably prepping for a raid, but don't wanna tip you off until it happens sometime "after Tuesday."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast