Quantcast
loud engine - needs a mechanic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: loud engine - needs a mechanic

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Default loud engine - needs a mechanic

Few days ago my car suddenly got really laud. That day I drove about 60 kilometers on the highway - the car was responsive and everything was fine. Then I parked and left it for about 15 - 20 minutes. When I started it again it was revving like a wounded beast. It seems like an exhaust manifold leak but a big one. The car is Volvo XC90. I would like to avoid Valentine Volvo if possible. Any suggestions on where else I can go to get this problem fixed? Thanks.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Found the cause for the noise:

Any idea how to fasten this pipe back?

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

that should be a cheap fix at any muffler welding shop minute muffler on 32 before someone else says it
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Yeah go to Minute Muffler, their right beside XS cargo & Shell on 32nd right off 12th street. Those guys are wicked, Ravi just fixed the exhaust on my other truck yesterday, using a performance muffler off a different vehicle that was installed then removed (not used). So I got a primo muffler set up for at cost pricing.

They do great work, well recommended.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Well you are at it, figure out just what caused this weld to break. Might be a bolt or hanger not doing what it needs to do.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Well you are at it, figure out just what caused this weld to break. Might be a bolt or hanger not doing what it needs to do.
    Is this weld for sure? I cannot get a better look - cannot lift the car at home and the space under the car is really tight. I think I need professional help. Can I drive the car for 15 - 20 kilometres to the repair shop without causing any other damage?

My Ride

Lol, what weld? I cant see any welding there at all, mainly a compression fitting that has come loose. It shouldn't hurt the car to drive it to a repair shop, a lack of exhaust pressure really isn't going to hurt it for such a short drive.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    92 Civic-t, 01 VW Golf TDI

very common, prob is that manufacturers use dissimilar metals for flanges and piping (different expansion rates), add a speedbump or other violent shock and whamo, broken front pipe. Dealer fix is replace front pipe w/converter, my fix is tack weld front pipe, drop front pipe, weld up front pipe and bolt up front pipe, cheap fix and will last the live of the volvo.

go to mm 32nd, that Ravi is great at what he does, a master at his craft and damn sexy to look at... woot!!!

My Ride
    92 Civic-t, 01 VW Golf TDI

btw, you wont hurt your car to drive unless there is any wiring or hoses in the path of the exhaust leak, your front o2 will read lean and dump more gas into your engine, giving you shit mileage until you get it to a shop

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Temporary fix for now:

It sounds much better now but I am taking the car to Minute Muffler on 32nd ave on Monday. Hopefully they can fix it.

My Ride
    Blue boy

^ LMAO

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by anichin
    Temporary fix for now:

It sounds much better now but I am taking the car to Minute Muffler on 32nd ave on Monday. Hopefully they can fix it.
    That is...interesting! Not that I can talk, I've had to do some ghetto repairs in a pinch...MM will sort you out

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Looks good man keep up the damn fine work hahahahahahahahahahaha
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Awesome fix Duct tape might help too

My Ride

Originally posted by forced_eg
    go to mm 32nd, that Ravi is great at what he does, a master at his craft and damn sexy to look at... woot!!!
    God I seriously hope you're a chick since that was gayer then Richard Simmons in a prom dress.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

God I seriously hope you're a chick since that was gayer then Richard Simmons in a prom dress.
    Dude...pretty sure that is Ravi!

My Ride

^ Oh fuck... lol

Alright.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

That is...interesting! Not that I can talk, I've had to do some ghetto repairs in a pinch...MM will sort you out
    MM on 32 ave NE fixed it today. I am quite happy with the job they did and the price was good too.