Quantcast
New Grad Engineer - Salary Expectations - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Grad Engineer - Salary Expectations

My Ride
    2012 WRX STi Sedan

Originally posted by Disoblige

Does that bimbo have 4 weeks+ vacation, paid sick days, bonuses, regular raises, have very flexible hours, excellent benefits, company $$$ contributions, company shares, great opportunities to advance up, and the time to sit here to post this as well?

this!!!

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by 04Terminator
    yes. trades require no where near the brains, dedication, financial commitment and education that a university grad does.

plus, most of them are on the job training based with very little class time.

the guy that painted my car made 120k last year at his hourly body shop job....and couldn't pass a grade 10 math quiz.

this province undervalues education, and overvalues grunts.
    You sir, are a moron.

As stated by others, you go try and work with Dave or Bob for example. Keep up and try to deliever a product like they do.

Come up north, south, east or west and get on a rig, see how long you can handle the work that has to be done.

Come join me on the site on work on, I'll put you to work with a bunch of uneducated grunts. See if you can stick with it.

Or the numerous other positions that are available since there is a shortage of trades currently.

Originally posted by bspot

Someone has to do the real work out there.

If I was upset enough about "grunts" making too much money, I would just quit my job and be a "grunt" and roll around in my pile of money.

That's how supply and demand work, there aren't many people that want to do those jobs compared to how many jobs there are, so they get paid.

I'm glad rig workers make a ton. That job is tough, dangerous, and it sucks.

It's pretty cushy sitting in an office all week and having evenings and weekends to myself. I'm willing to make less than a rig worker and put some time in at school to have those perks.
    That's a very good way to look at things. Definitely puts it in a different perspective for me, and I'm one of those "uneducated grunts".

It's all about what you enjoy doing and what you can get paid for. Personally, I like to work more hands on, therefore trades were easier for me to enjoy. Do I think I'm able to go through university and work in an office environment? Definitely, did I want to when I was leaving high school? I'm a tradesman, so I guess that answers itself. However, I do consider going back to school so I can pursue a different career, that my trades history will only help me if I did go that route.

As for staying on topic. OP, personally I would choose the company that fits you best. The best working environment, somewhere that will afford you the best experience and gathering the experience that will benefit you much more then a little more money now.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Much better than having these pompous fresh of the line engineers paid lavishly when they know pretty much nothing in the real working world............
    I do agree that there is a bias against education in Alberta, and this about sums it up.

an education is valuable because it exposes you to different ways of thinking, opens doors of opportunity, and gives you a choice in how you want to spend your career. Personally, I value education because my father worked (quite successfully) in the trades, but always taught me to work hard in math and science so that I could pick what I wanted to do, instead of having to default to construction which is our family profession for several generations.

but that doesn't mean you can't make a good living in the trades. it really comes down to what you're looking for in life. white and blue collar jobs are really two different cultures, both have their pluses and minuses, big deal. different strokes for different folks.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I think that is the case with a lot of people. I know I sometimes think about quitting and getting a trade like electrical or welding.

But then I remember how much I enjoyed working in the rain and snow.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Toma

I do agree that there is a bias against education in Alberta, and this about sums it up.
    Working as an engineer, I've seen it time and time again. Lots of new grads coming out with very respectable offers but act like they are entitled to more. It's quite sad.

My Ride
    NC1

Does that bimbo have 4 weeks+ vacation, paid sick days, bonuses, regular raises, have very flexible hours, excellent benefits, company $$$ contributions, company shares, great opportunities to advance up, and the time to sit here to post this as well?

Well said man. Sometimes I wish I was in the corporate world.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    Well said man. Sometimes I wish I was in the corporate world.
    Then you remember that you drive a 911 Turbo and get free chinese food every day.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Mibz
    Then you remember that you drive a 911 Turbo and get free chinese food every day.
    Yeah, you're the rage2 in your family
    Last edited by Disoblige; 05-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Working as an engineer, I've seen it time and time again. Lots of new grads coming out with very respectable offers but act like they are entitled to more. It's quite sad.
    how do you define what is a respectable offer and what is not? if everyone else coming out of school is making $90k then $65k would not be a decent offer.
    these days companies are willing to pay a lot more for a newgrad than they were 3-4 years ago, so the grads have every right to expect more. salaries are competitive; so if most of the competition is getting $XX then ofcourse people will feel entitled to get the same.

Originally posted by turbotrip

how do you define what is a respectable offer and what is not? if everyone else coming out of school is making $90k then $65k would not be a decent offer.
    these days companies are willing to pay a lot more for a newgrad than they were 3-4 years ago, so the grads have every right to expect more. salaries are competitive; so if most of the competition is getting $XX then ofcourse people will feel entitled to get the same.
    sure, ask for more when you're a new grad, but sure as shit, you will be the first one to be let go if the market goes to shit again.

My Ride
    Silverado

no way man, still peanuts compared to mid management. as long as your good you'll stay

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

No need for this discussion.

Visit apegga.org or apega.org and goto salary survey. All the answers to your questions can be found there.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Guys, we have to wait for Mar to post in here. He seems pretty savvy about stuff and is probably the best one to ask.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Apegga is already outdated for the year though. Market is in an upswing and everyone is starting to get more than apegga states. Plus he's just asking beyond which I do believe contains quite a few E.I.T's

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Most new grad engineers I know don't even deserve 50-75% of the salary they are getting.
    QFT A nice way of putting it is that you pay for a blank canvas.

"grunts"(not my name so don't bash) are definitely overpaid in Alberta because of the huge labor shortages. They have no real skills...just there to be plugs and get the job done.

A usual statement from one of my friends working on rigs...."ya'll think yer can do what I done do as a RIGGA!? You office sissys"

My usual reply is...yes...if I spent 4 years of my life doing a shitty as job and wrecking my body...yes I do think I could do what you can do. Instead by the time we are both 30 I will be making multiples of your salary and have an awesome life instead of working 80 hours a week in mud or -30.

Seems to be the old age argument of white collar vs. blue collar. I would also like to note that just because you didn't get a degree doesn't mean you are always going to be a "grunt" like some people think.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by 04Terminator
    yes. trades require no where near the brains, dedication, financial commitment and education that a university grad does.

plus, most of them are on the job training based with very little class time.

the guy that painted my car made 120k last year at his hourly body shop job....and couldn't pass a grade 10 math quiz.

this province undervalues education, and overvalues grunts.
    That has got to be (one of) the most ignorant statements I've read on this forum Some of the engineers I've had the 'pleasure' of working with are not people you would want to be stuck on an island with & expect survival

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

What are your thoughts on this:

EE 1 yr at this company (first job out of university)

Working as a process control engineer for a chemical plant in which I have been designing all the control logic for, setting up the control system, programming it, commissioning it, and producing the as builts. And i have to train operators on the system and teach them how the plant runs and I have to operate the plant since they won't hire more than 2 operators. Oh and I'm doing the instrumentation for the plant. (I'm the only process control engineer here ... I have no mentor either which is fucked up)

I get 63k/yr salary and 'up to' 8% bonus if I meet all my personal performance target, none of which are achievable because they are set unrealistically (had to have the entire plant commissioned and running before it was even finished being built...) Salaried / no OT / I get 'banked time off' but they won't even give me a day off ever it seems...
    Last edited by pheoxs; 05-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast