Quantcast
seizing vehicles for speeding in alberta being evaluated - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: seizing vehicles for speeding in alberta being evaluated

My Ride
    is wild

Default seizing vehicles for speeding in alberta being evaluated

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

EDMONTON — Alberta will consider giving police the authority to immediately seize the vehicles of people caught driving at extreme speeds as one way to reduce highway deaths and injuries.

Transportation Minister Ric McIver said speeding is rampant in the province and noted that police recently nabbed two pickup trucks roaring down the dangerous highway between Edmonton and Fort McMurray at 180 km/h.

"I think it is worth looking at. I think it is worth it for me hearing out Albertans' opinions on this to see if they would support it," McIver said. "I think the public would support taking those vehicles right away."

In 2009, Alberta's police chiefs asked the province's solicitor general to allow on-the-spot seizure of vehicles belonging to drivers caught speeding more than 50 km/h over the limit, but the government turned them down.

At the time the chiefs wrote that police were continually nabbing people for excessive speeding and the change was needed in the interest of public safety.

A similar policy brought in by British Columbia in 2010 for people caught driving more than 40 km/h over the speed limit has resulted in 10,387 vehicles being seized and impounded for a minimum of seven days.

Within one year, the number of fatal and injury-related crashes related to speeding was cut in half to 105 compared to the previous five-year average, according to the B.C. Ministry of Justice.

"Prior to the introduction of these tougher penalties, B.C. had been experiencing an upward trend in the number of speed-related fatalities," Amy Lapsley, a Justice Ministry spokeswoman wrote in an email from Victoria.

"Research shows that impoundments work to change behaviours and we expect the recent changes will be a deterrent for dangerous drivers."

McIver said the government hasn't made any decisions yet, buy it only makes sense to review B.C.'s numbers to see if such a policy would work in Alberta.

Gauging public opinion before making such a change would be key, he added.

"I am willing to make it a point to research the experience that B.C. has and try to evaluate with my staff and with the opinion of Albertans to see if it would fit in with the Alberta context."

Police issued more than 3,900 speeding tickets in the province during the recent May long weekend alone.

Officers have also issued more than 500 speeding tickets on Highway 63, the only primary road between Edmonton and the oilsands region, since a fiery collision April 27 killed seven people.

McIver said the challenge facing the government is to find measures that strike a balance between dealing with all-out reckless drivers and those who are caught going 10 or 20 kilometres over the speed limit.

Under Alberta's current traffic laws, speeders who drive more than 50 kilometres over the limit are fined, given six demerit points and have to make a court appearance.

"What we need to do is make sure if we were to change the law that it is something that would catch people like that, but not unduly punish people who are not as reckless."

McIver is in charge of a government review that is looking into how to improve safety on Highway 63. As part of that review, McIver said he is prepared to consider just about anything to achieve that goal.

Other ideas include working with the energy industry and organizations such as the Alberta Motor Association to teach driver safety to workers at oilsands job sites.

Using photo radar units on Highway 63 to get drivers to slow down is another option, but the benefits of such a move would have to be weighed carefully, McIver said.

"Right now it is certainly the government's policy not to do photo radar on provincial highways and without due consideration I don't intend to change that policy," he said.

"But in the case of Highway 63, I consider everything on the table, even things that I find uncomfortable. We certainly haven't made any decisions to do that, but we are determined to make it a place where people can travel to and fro and get home safely."

McIver said there is a "strong possibility" his ministry will make some recommendations to Premier Alison Redford on improving highway safety enforcement before the end of June.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

this thread needs a poll included me thinks. I think its an interesting topic.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Next well have undercover hobos at stop lights watching for people texting.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd support it for repeat offenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by chkolny541
    this thread needs a poll included me thinks. I think its an interesting topic.
    Poll for what?

Seizing personal property by individual police officers should never be allowed to happen. We have a legal system and courts for a reason, what should happen is what does happen, a pink ticket and court appearance for the driver. Fines should be adjusted, repeat offenders punished harder and licenses suspended. Which is what we have, along with proper enforcement (which we dont). I drive crowchild every day to/from work and the number of asshats doing 100-120 in an 80 zone blows my mind, especially the ones weaving in and out of traffic.

We need less government 'politicing' and no new laws for laws that already exist and proper enforcement.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

i say open a big ass racetrack where people can unleash there cars

About time in my opinion.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by m10-power

Poll for what?

Seizing personal property by individual police officers should never be allowed to happen. We have a legal system and courts for a reason, what should happen is what does happen, a pink ticket and court appearance for the driver. Fines should be adjusted, repeat offenders punished harder and licenses suspended. Which is what we have, along with proper enforcement (which we dont). I drive crowchild every day to/from work and the number of asshats doing 100-120 in an 80 zone blows my mind, especially the ones weaving in and out of traffic.

We need less government 'politicing' and no new laws for laws that already exist and proper enforcement.

My Ride
    GT TDi

how about we stop giving out drivers licenses in cereal boxes, cause that's how easy it is to get one here...

why do you think parts of germany have no speed limit at all? other parts of europe where they have speed limits they are 130/140 on the highway
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by bart
    how about we stop giving out drivers licenses in cereal boxes, cause that's how easy it is to get one here...

why do you think parts of germany have no speed limit at all? other parts of europe where they have speed limits they are 130/140 on the highway
    That will never happen, just think of all the areas around Marlborough, it will be like a scene from a Western movie with tumbleweeds going down the roads without a car in sight!

My Ride
    NC1

LOL WTF

Serious if they implement this I'm going sell my 911 and buy a Civic.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Go for it! Public outdoor crushings too please, I could use a little Lambo box time and a cool one.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by m10-power

Poll for what?

x3

I don't want the police to have this kind of power, make people go to court and punish them appropriately if they were speeding. Next thing you know, 40 over becomes 50 over and you lose your car and have to prove the officer was wrong. Too much power in the hands of LE, especially when some cannot use it in a responsible manner.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

So much for innocent until proven guilty.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

If I owned Dr Hook or some other tow company I would be offering some private 'financial support' to the members of the state that are responsible for final vote.

On the other hand, since I don't stand to make a profit from this law I'll probably just wait for the law to hit the books and continue to live under the threat of force.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    AWOL

Radar detector, laser jammer, don't stop. How is this going to mesh with their alleged "no chase" policy?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

So stupid, they shouldn't have the power to take your vehicle. I can't even count the amount of times I've done 50 over for a split second with just the flick of a wrist on my bike. I'm not a reckless driver and hardly speed, but it would really suck to lose my bike for a few seconds of fun. You better believe I'd be running if I was on my bike.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

if they implement this they better
    A) make the magic number 50km over
    B) NO "visual estimation" BS allowed. They MUST have a lidar reading of 51km (allowing for laser's +/- 1km accuracy) to confiscate the car. That way its 100% accurate and I can jam the gun

But I do think laws like this are unreasonable. Your property should not be confiscated without due process.

Last edited by J-hop; 07-29-2017 at 10:47 PM.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by max_boost

LOL WTF

Serious if they implement this I'm going sell my 911 and buy a Civic.

What the??....ouch dai lo....ouch....

But on topic...having received a couple of the pink tickets in my day....I feel it should stay the way it is...The police shouldn't have the power to take someone's property....impounding is one thing...and I would support that in some cases...but not what they are proposing here....

Man what happened to McIver??....haha....
    ...@therealarifjina...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast