Quantcast
How to space out workouts to gain weight - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to space out workouts to gain weight

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default How to space out workouts to gain weight

So I'm looking to get back into the gym and try and put on some weight. I've attempted this a few times before but I feel my inability to keep up the required appetite and lack of direction in my work out really screwed me.

The appetite thing is the biggest hurdle but that’s just mental and I'm going to have to force myself to eat.

My work out however is something I could use some advice with. I know I should use free weights and for heavy, short sets (8-12 reps) but I don’t know how often I should work out? I’m thinking I should maybe spread my work out more and make it shorter to burn less calories? I’m not really looking to get “ripped” at the moment, I just want to get to and maintain an average weight. I think if I separate the two goals (gain and then get cut) I might have more success?

Thoughts?

My Ride
    NC1

No appetite? Just gotta lift harder. Burn those muscles, feel the pain! As a result you'll start eating like a mofo and sleep 8+hours a night. Bam. So simple.

Get warcaster to show you some lifts and when you are ready to lift 500lbs, call Kryn. If you need motivation, ask adidas haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Okay, where to begin...

1) The intensity of your workout will influence your appetite. Lift heavy, lift compound, and lift properly. You *will* be hungry.

2) I don't think you need to space your workouts aside from what is typical. M-W-F, or M-T-Th-F, etc.

I'd recommend that you read up on basic workout principles to learn how your body will react to various workouts, appropriate diet, etc.

To sum it up, eat right, lift heavy, lift compound (focus on bench, overhead press, chin up/pull up, squats, deadlift), and stay consistent.

Look into the 5x5 program for a great base that will give you good long-term results.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 05-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

G allon
    O f
    M ilk
    A
    D ay

Go nuts.

Supplements. Multi-vitamin, vitamin D, fish oil, ZMA.

What do you guys think about ZMA?
    http://www.supplementscanada.com/infocentre-zma.htm

For the longest time I stopped dreaming. Basically slept well 8+hours per night but no dreams. Then it got to the point where I Was thinking too much and couldn't sleep well anymore. Now I started taking ZMA recently, now I dream, sleep well and have more energy. Does it work or it's in my brain? LOL

The mind is in a place of its own, it can make a heaven out of hell and a hell out of heaven
    I am user #49

My Ride
    IS350

Originally posted by max_boost

Now I started taking ZMA recently, now I dream, sleep well and have more energy. Does it work or it's in my brain? LOL

[/B]
    I was the same way, definitely noticed an improvement in sleep quality and vivid dreams

My Ride
    TL

wait, are you saying that zma makes you have vivid dreams? my dreams are so annoyingly vivid, and it feels like i don't even sleep. i've heard people saying that vivid dreams means you're in a deep sleep, but i feel like my brain is exhausted after a night of dreaming.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Ideally the amount of days to workout is as many as possible while still being able to recover.

Since this is more of a body aware/more advanced trainee thing the best advice you can take is this:

Do a straight forward program of your choice. Every week add a set of half or all of the movements for 4 weeks. on the fifth week take a deload.

So it looks like this:

Sample upperbody day:

Week 1:

Flat bench press 3x3
    DB incline bench press 2x8
    Bench flys 2x10
    Pullup 3x3
    Latpull down 2x8
    Face pull 2x8

Any additional shoulder mobility, stretching and foam rolling you need.

So week 2 add 1 set to everything.

By Week 4 it looks like this:

Flat bench press 6x3
    DB incline bench press 4x8
    Bench flys 4x10
    Pullup 6x3
    Latpull down 4x8
    Face pull 4x8

Week 5 you can take a week off and just stretch, rest, sleep and eat.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by A790
    Okay, where to begin...

1) The intensity of your workout will influence your appetite. Lift heavy, lift compound, and lift properly. You *will* be hungry.

2) I don't think you need to space your workouts aside from what is typical. M-W-F, or M-T-Th-F, etc.

I'd recommend that you read up on basic workout principles to learn how your body will react to various workouts, appropriate diet, etc.

To sum it up, eat right, lift heavy, lift compound (focus on bench, overhead press, chin up/pull up, squats, deadlift), and stay consistent.

Look into the 5x5 program for a great base that will give you good long-term results.
    From personal experience...

Especially number one, I ate like I was preparing for hibernation when I was doing these intense compound exercises.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by dandia89
    wait, are you saying that zma makes you have vivid dreams? my dreams are so annoyingly vivid, and it feels like i don't even sleep. i've heard people saying that vivid dreams means you're in a deep sleep, but i feel like my brain is exhausted after a night of dreaming.
    If you're deficient in Mag, or Zinc, yes ZMA will help in the sleep dept.

On a side note, if your dreams are super vivid you might consider a form of relaxation pre-bed.

Read a chapter or two from a book. Something mindless that doesn't really get you thinking.

Something Fantasy or War, History Fiction. Reason is you don't want to read a Get rich book, a self help book because you reflect to much on what you need to do and thinking before sleeping is bad.

Shit great reading are Biography's. I read the heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx last month. Great pre-bed read.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Darkane

Reason is you don't want to read a Get rich book, a self help book because you reflect to much on what you need to do and thinking before sleeping is bad.
    This makes TONS of sense. I've been getting really into sociology and psychology literature. I spend most of my team reading or watching videos about topics on it.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by Darkane
    Ideally the amount of days to workout is as many as possible while still being able to recover.

Since this is more of a body aware/more advanced trainee thing the best advice you can take is this:

Do a straight forward program of your choice. Every week add a set of half or all of the movements for 4 weeks. on the fifth week take a deload.

Best advice so far. Right now I train everyday for 4 weeks then I deload training maybe twice in one week.
    Im doing strict bodybuilding and my split looks like this

Legs(pull dominant)/Abs
    Chest/Bis
    Back/ Low back conditioning
    Cardio(intervals)
    Legs(push dominant)/ Anti rotational core work
    Shoulders/Tris
    Cardio(recovery LSD)

I eat 3000-4000 calories a day and I gain around 1-2 lean pounds a month hahaha

Take your time learning compound lifts and eat eat eat

My workout regime has been this:

5 days a week

Monday: 6 sets of 8 at low weight
    -Squats
    -Free weight row
    -Machine Row
    -Cardio

Tuesday: 6 set of 8 at low weight
    -Bench
    -Skull Crushers
    -Bicep curls
    -Machine Bicep and tricep curls (not sure what to call em but I use the adjustable pulley)
    -Cardio

Wednesday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    Same workouts as Monday

Thursday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    Same workouts as Tuesday

Friday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    -Military Press
    -Lateral arm raises
    -Cardio

This was built by my friend who is a trainer (who is doing it as well) and looked over by my cousin who is a trainer/nutritionist. Harder to fit into the schedule but damn is it a good workout. I've just started working out (yes I know, I was on here earlier couple years ago but laziness got the best of me) but now I've been going good.

That being said I'm new, and this is a whole lot for me, but I've got a special body. What my cousin and friend say is a naturally athletic body with good awareness. I'm naturally aware of my muscles and what is being worked out, which really helps out with my form. Everyone has complimented me on my form hahahaha. Bonus for me I guess.

I haven't been taking supplements yet. I've been told to wait for a bit and see how my body reacts to working out. I've got what we think is a high metabolism, but it could be I just haven't been eating enough. Now that I have been working out I can see mass gain and I've been eating more because of my increased appetite. I figure I will see in 2 months. If I'm tone but not where I want to be mass wise, then I will start adding in supplements.

Ultimately my goal is a lean tone athletic body. I'm not looking for bulk as I am an avid snowboarder, big muscles doesn't really make me agile. Just looking to be fit.

I'm 6'2", my goal weight is 180-185.

... Oh that and for making the girls crazy come houseboat time.
    Last edited by Spoons; 05-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.

My Ride
    TypeR

U need deadlifts bro!

My Ride
    TL

bros u dont get girlz with dedliftz. duh

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by Spoons
    My workout regime has been this:

5 days a week

Monday: 6 sets of 8 at low weight
    -Squats
    -Free weight row
    -Machine Row
    -Cardio

Tuesday: 6 set of 8 at low weight
    -Bench
    -Skull Crushers
    -Bicep curls
    -Machine Bicep and tricep curls (not sure what to call em but I use the adjustable pulley)
    -Cardio

Wednesday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    Same workouts as Monday

Thursday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    Same workouts as Tuesday

Friday: 4 sets of 8 at high weight
    -Military Press
    -Lateral arm raises
    -Cardio

This was built by my friend who is a trainer (who is doing it as well) and looked over by my cousin who is a trainer/nutritionist. Harder to fit into the schedule but damn is it a good workout. I've just started working out (yes I know, I was on here earlier couple years ago but laziness got the best of me) but now I've been going good.

That being said I'm new, and this is a whole lot for me, but I've got a special body. What my cousin and friend say is a naturally athletic body with good awareness. I'm naturally aware of my muscles and what is being worked out, which really helps out with my form. Everyone has complimented me on my form hahahaha. Bonus for me I guess.

I haven't been taking supplements yet. I've been told to wait for a bit and see how my body reacts to working out. I've got what we think is a high metabolism, but it could be I just haven't been eating enough. Now that I have been working out I can see mass gain and I've been eating more because of my increased appetite. I figure I will see in 2 months. If I'm tone but not where I want to be mass wise, then I will start adding in supplements.

Ultimately my goal is a lean tone athletic body. I'm not looking for bulk as I am an avid snowboarder, big muscles doesn't really make me agile. Just looking to be fit.

I'm 6'2", my goal weight is 180-185.

... Oh that and for making the girls crazy come houseboat time.
    Yeah man definitly need some deadlifts in there. Your weight isnt going up because your not training half of your legs!!

Im 6'2 and 202 (12-14% bf) as of today and I am a hard gainer just like you. Here is a pic of me about 4-5 years ago and a pic of me now.

First 2 years I had no idea what I was doing, never dead lifting, using alot of machines, shit form etc. This equalled shit ass gains in both strength and size. I maybe put 12-15 pounds in that time of lbm.

BTW 185 u will still be skinny as hell. Ill call you when im 240

Sorry for the albino pic

Originally posted by warcaster

Yeah man definitly need some deadlifts in there. Your weight isnt going up because your not training half of your legs!!

Im 6'2 and 202 (12-14% bf) as of today and I am a hard gainer just like you. Here is a pic of me about 4-5 years ago and a pic of me now.

First 2 years I had no idea what I was doing, never dead lifting, using alot of machines, shit form etc. This equalled shit ass gains in both strength and size. I maybe put 12-15 pounds in that time of lbm.

BTW 185 u will still be skinny as hell. Ill call you when im 240

Sorry for the albino pic
    With all due respect it sounds like your looking for bulk, not to mention your trying to vito 2 trained personal trainers.

I'll continue on with what I'm doing.

My Ride
    NC1

Started lifting again after almost a year layoff and my lifts went from

Squat 225X5 to 185X5
    Deadlift 225X5 to 185X1
    Press 105X5 to 85X5
    Bench 135X5 to 115X5

Still 5'5 and 150lbs. Shit sucks. Feel so weak and useless. Use it or lose it.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Spoons

With all due respect it sounds like your looking for bulk, not to mention your trying to vito 2 trained personal trainers.

I'll continue on with what I'm doing.
    Why? Your program is missing vital components that would expedite your gains. You don't have to "bulk", unless you eat that way.

Warcaster is a personal trainer, and he's damn good too.

Your routine seems very basic and is missing some important lifts for strength/function.

My Ride
    NC1

Spoons what do you weigh right now? I remember saying you were one of those skinny 160lb hard gainers. So I'm presuming you are looking to add 25lbs?

Definitely need to do deadlift, some explosive workouts, activate those fast twitch muscles and eat a lot of good healthy protein/fiber/carbs. You gotta eat man. No eating = no weight gain haha

Don't worry bro you won't get big muscles by lifting a couple weights. If that were true, A790 would look like Arnold by now.
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast