Quantcast
Salvage Title car - Unsure - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Salvage Title car - Unsure

Default Salvage Title car - Unsure

Looking into getting a first car for my sister. We found this:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ382840321

Seemed cheap. He stated it had the door replaced, and driver side skirt was repainted. He had an inspection which was $300 and it passed (or so it seems, I haven't seen the paper yet)

I looked up the VIN, here was the previous damage

http://autokanada.pl/impact/o_lala.p...&numEntries=75

I doubt the vehicle is not close to what he is asking, the title isn't even in his name (Seems to be curbing it). But should we just keep looking?
    Did a full check around the car aside from that. But the salvage title the car has now doesn't make me a happy camper.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

The salvage title is always a flag to take notice of, and a good way to haggle the price, but it is not always a bad thing, it has always been my opinion that a salvage title does not always mean a bad car.

If you like the car, and the way it drives and runs, make sure you have a full mechanical inspection done, and let the mechanic know about the salvage title, and ask them to be a little more through. If it passes, then go for it, the money you will save by haggling because of the title, will more than pay for the inspection.

Some people say that the car will never drive the same, to which I just shrug my shoulders. If I like the way it drives, and it passed the mechanical inspection, then great!

My current truck is a salvage title truck, and I was able to get it for a great deal, and it runs and drives great!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

In the pics, they would have closed the back door if they could so I'd say the b pillar is bent as well, and straightening one of those is a lot more work than just a door and a side skirt. Personally I'd pass since he doesn't even mention the salvage title in the ad, just lists that it is reduced for quick sale (a.k.a. somebody who doesn't understand salvage titles).

Also, if he had it inspected it would not have a salvage title any more, it would be rebuilt. If it still says salvage that is extra bad.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

The impact auction seems to indicate that the car has frame damage which is more than "a door replaced" and some paint to fix. Judging from some rebuilt cars I've seen Alberta will let anything back on the road with a fresh coat of paint on it.

Walk away.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

just noticed that the report says frame damage. Walk away unless he can provide proof that the frame has been repaired arrow straight, and even then I would be a little hesitant.

Frame damage on the ends (before the wheels) is one thing, but frame damage in the middle is never a good thing.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    K-car

All those cheap little cars get written off for such minor damage. My sister had a 07 Ion that they wrote off after a low speed Deer hit, we bought the car back and replaced the bumper cover, windshield, one headlight and the hood. Body shop quote was around $5600, I did it all including paint for about $1200.

Spikers is right though, while not all salvage cars are bad, you have to be super careful what you're buying. Ask for pictures of the damage before he fixed the car, he HAS to have these in order to get the car reinspected anyway, so if he says he dosen't have any walk away. There are a ton of really seedy guys out there rebuilding cars so be carefull.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Good read

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/137515/rebuilt-status/

I guess ultimately it will be your preference on safety and other factors

Judging by the rear door being popped out I would say that the unitized structure was damaged at the B pillar which is would likely be an area where a proper repair would require replacement as it is a a high strength steel area designed to protect the occupants. There could have also been indirect damage to the roof and floor due to energy transfer. No guarantees it was repaired/replace as per FORD guidelines just because it passed the inspection.

It would definitely be a repair that i would have scrutinized by a professional as if the b-pillar was not repaired correctly it could compromise safety in a subsequent collision.

Given the damage this is the kind of salvage vehicle to steer clear of.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I personally don't have an issue having a salvage title car if I get a smokin deal on it. Especially if it makes a car that I can't afford suddenly affordable. That's only if it's been repaired properly though and is near impossible to tell that there's been damage done.

BUTTTTTT......
    This is a focus and it's 2 gens old. It will have no resale value EVER and for $5000 there's much better options out there.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

I called, he beat around the bush about the salvage title and inspection. We moved on from this sale, thank you again beyond.