Quantcast
New York City: Ready to ban 16+ ounce sugarwater sales. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New York City: Ready to ban 16+ ounce sugarwater sales.

Originally posted by FraserB

I haven't had a soft drink since April 1 this year, using the nutritional info from the side of a Coke can, I reduced my caloric intake by ~600 calories a day and 180g of sugar. With going to the gym, lost almost 20lbs since.
    Congrats! I'm currently getting the pop and sugar monkeys off my back, too.

Wish I hadn't waited until I reached my mid-40's, though ... it was so much easier to lose weight in my 20's and even 30's.

As for the law, it's completely stupid. Do they not think that people will just buy 2 or 3 smaller drinks now?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

The first week or two is the worst, no I have absolutely no desire for a soft drink. I started to drink a coke the other day but just tasted like syrup and sugar so I'm pretty done with them.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I was in Florida in January and it blew my mind how many obese people there was. There was unbelievable amounts of people using motor scooters and many of them had huge cups of pop that looked like a 2l bottle with the top cut off in hand or in the front basket. They have a huge problem down there.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by kvg
    I was in Florida in January and it blew my mind how many obese people there was. There was unbelievable amounts of people using motor scooters and many of them had huge cups of pop that looked like a 2l bottle with the top cut off in hand or in the front basket. They have a huge problem down there.
    Did you go into a walmart? Fuck I couldn't stop laughing. Big 'ol 400 lb'er had no less than 20- 2L bottles of cola in his shopping cart, and the Walmart cashier new him by name
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-31-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I didn't go there, but right when I got to Florida and I was on the way to the hotel I saw a 300lb+ guy pushing a 300lb+ woman in a wheel chair down the shoulder of the highway, and she was holding a massive cup of pop in her hand. It was just the beginning of these sightings

Same as fast food burgers.. The odd time I'll get a craving and half thru it I feel gross. Once you stay off them for a while, you don't miss them.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by kvg
    Atlanta is way worse, I went to Wal-Mart there and would walk by the end of the aisles looking for one without a huge person in it that I might be able to fit down....... nope........ nope........ nope.........

It's pretty odd they want to ban 16 ounce cups though, that's not that big. It's the size of a grande at Starbucks. And since their flavouring has sugar in it, does that mean the end of ventis?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Although this wont be a miracle solver of obesity, I welcome this. The sight of little kids each having a McD's $1 32oz Sweet Tea is disgusting. These kids are fat, and this 69g of sugar juice is a must have.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Did you go into a walmart? Fuck I couldn't stop laughing. Big 'ol 400 lb'er had no less than 20- 2L bottles of cola in his shopping cart, and the Walmart cashier new him by name
    Lol this the first thing I thought of...

Originally posted by Feruk
    I don't think this change will have any effect on anything really. Why do they not simply impose a "fat tax" on pop, fast food, and things of it's type. I've noticed most of the fatties look like they belong to the "poorer classes" of society. Just an observation, not trying to say it's fact here. If you make fast food more expensive, maybe them poorer fatties will be forced to spend money on cheaper healthier alternatives. If we do it to tobacco and booze, why not junk food?
    I agree. The shitty part is unhealthy food is generally cheaper then healthy.

I can buy 4L of pop for $2. I can buy 4L of milk for $3.50+ and 4L of juice for $4+ (Non concentrate/make my own)

You can tax the shit out of it, but it would have to be the point of being more expensive then healthy food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/ny...-soda-ban.html

And it passes. No more drink for you.

Next up, banning salty pork.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Funny things, I heard that Coca Cola was recently officially introduced to North Korea. On the other side of the globe right in the centre of the free world is banning big sugary drinks, strange world that we live in nowadays.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Just buy three 15oz cups and you're back where you started.

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Just buy three 15oz cups and you're back where you started.
    I'm pretty sure its like a 16 oz cup size and limit per person per purchase (per visit). One person in car means one cup.

Won't happen. People in the US are too lazy to make the second trip, far too much effort to swing the arms and put the foot on the gaspedal.

Its why Mcdonalds instituted a free refill policy - they know that if you come to the counter a second time you are much more likely to buy another order of fries and get your "free" drink. Starbucks also has a free refill policy as long as you stay in the store.

http://www.starbucks.ca/card/rewards

Its all about getting mouths to the counter as many times as possible.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 08:28 AM.

My Ride
    W204

If anything I feel this might just enrich the fast food places even more. If you think about it, a family can no longer buy a large drink to share, and every kid will just get his own. As pointed out also, I can't see how fruit juices aren't included. Makes no sense. This is China-style politics - 10 guys get together in a room and come up with some "wonderful" ideas that they'll legislate before they leave without giving it a second thought. Oh until 5 years down they road when they realized they've just created a heap of other problems.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2