Quantcast
Seized license plate - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Seized license plate

Originally posted by Toma
    Someone care to quote the part in the TSA that states that a OOP vehicle needs In transits instead of a plate from a different car you own/have owned as long as the palte is currently valid?

I'll find it for you later. Vehicles being driven in the province and using provincial plates have to conform to our Vehicle Equipment Regulations; so until an inspection is done, they technically can't use the plate, even temporarily.

They are not correct, because the TSA also CLEARLY spells out that you can use your old plates on a new car for 14 days. (see above).

So, I guess technically he can seize them for the 1.5 seconds it would take for anyone NOT braindead to ascertain the "facts concerning the issue of those licence plates"
    And anyone else who isn't braindead can see the TSA also clearly states that you can only do that if you are using that same plate on the new vehicle, and that only vehicles conforming to all provincial standards may be operated in Alberta with valid registration obtained by registering said vehicles that conform to those standards.

Originally posted by lil brown

Finally! I don't understand why people assume I'm a dick, the registry employees spew bullshit, Im coming up with laws of my own, and getting a 7 day in-transit pass is blasphemy lol
    ...because the registry employees are spewing bullshit. You have had two police officers tell you, and another person show you the legislation regarding the seizure of your plates. You are being given bad information by a bunch of people who run a terminal and input data without knowing the law behind why they are doing it or how it works.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by phil98z24

And anyone else who isn't braindead can see the TSA also clearly states that you can only do that if you are using that same plate on the new vehicle, and that only vehicles conforming to all provincial standards may be operated in Alberta with valid registration obtained by registering said vehicles that conform to those standards.
    He did have the plates on his new vehicle.

And you have not provided a link for "part B yet". The TSA talks about newly purhcased vehicle being operated with the old plate, talks about commercial etc, but makes no distinction, nor has anyone provided a link to the TSA that states that a OOP vehicle requires a "in Transit" permit versus your old plate while it undergoes the "import"

And despite the rhetoric, he does not have to prove he sold his old vehicle etc. to be able to use the palte on his new vehicle.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by phil98z24

...because the registry employees are spewing bullshit. You have had two police officers tell you, and another person show you the legislation regarding the seizure of your plates. You are being given bad information by a bunch of people who run a terminal and input data without knowing the law behind why they are doing it or how it works.
    The TSA clearly states they can seize "suspect" plates, BUT aththe same time using old plates on new vehicles is perfectly legal. This seems very cut and dry, and the way us Calgarian's have been buying cars for 20+ years.

(Guess what, you now have 14 days grace with most insurance policys to add the new vehicle.)

The officers ONLY hope here to save face is to charge him under the section that says OOP vehicles must carry a in transit permit instead of the old plates.

Even the AMA is confused, they say
    When your vehicle is purchased, the U.S. dealer will issue you a one-month temporary licence plate. You can drive in the U.S. and Canada, while you're completing the import process, with the temporary plate.
    only one of my purchases from the US included a transit permit from the dealer, and it was only good for one week, and only valid in the US, when I crossed the border, they told me to put my plates on (which I had with me)

But, they did not say it could ONLY be used while being driven to and from the inspections. It says you can drive it while completing the process, not that you can ONLY drive it while completing....
    Last edited by Toma; 06-09-2012 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

At the end of the day, this is what you get with an incentivized Traffic Law system.

You get traffic cops with nothing better to do than try and rack up "performance expectations", and padding their checks with court time,

SEARCHING the tsa, trying to find hidden meaning and obscure sections so they can write a fucking ticket.

At the end of the day, was what the OP was doing a danger to himself or others? Does it matter one bit if he even had no plate on the car, as long as he had it insured?

Yep, lets make a Mount Everest out of a mole hill.

My Ride
    something green

We brought up a couple of commercial trucks from Texas five years ago. Prior to the trip we consulted the RCMP, CBSA and the inurance company.
    This is what we did that was ok'd by authorities we questioned.:
    Dealer gave us in transit tags for driving in US. Insurance company gave us pink slips. We used plates from other vehicles to drive in Canada once crossed boarder. We were told that the US in transit is no good in Canada. Vehicles were driven on other vehicles plates to get preinspection work done under the 14 day exemption. Vehicles were driven to inspection , passed , then plated with their own plates.
    Too loud for Aspen

Bought my truck in connecticut, flew down, paid, threw my cars plate on and drove all the way back.. No one said anything and I had no sort of permits.... Legal? Not likely.

Did that in-transit route twice when I had brought couple of old cars from U.S. with plates under my name. Did all the checks with my insurance and police before I took over the cars in U.S.

All went out fine with no problems. Hell, I even drove an old van with the former owner's plate from Washington State with insurance covered - transfered to me for short term period (good for one way trip). At that time I thought was it legal? The owner told me it's fine as long he informed his insurance agent ahead and the agent there even told me I'm good to go with the van. So I go on my way. I got the papers from the agent.

Canada Customs also did looked the papers I had with me, and I was cleared for home. No duty fees - that was long time ago.

So in short words, as long I did the pre-check up with my insurance, get the proper permits, have paperwork and have the plate for one-time one-way trip ... I'm good to go.

I will likely do another one to buy a car somewhere again this year.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

At the end of the day, this is what you get with an incentivized Traffic Law system.

You get traffic cops with nothing better to do than try and rack up "performance expectations", and padding their checks with court time,

SEARCHING the tsa, trying to find hidden meaning and obscure sections so they can write a fucking ticket.

At the end of the day, was what the OP was doing a danger to himself or others? Does it matter one bit if he even had no plate on the car, as long as he had it insured?

Yep, lets make a Mount Everest out of a mole hill.
    They love searching to find something stupid to ticket you on sometimes. My buddy got a ticket a couple months ago , the officer followed him about 10 km's and when he finally got to his workplace( a residential house where he was doing electrical work) she pulled him over out front of the house and ticketed him because he had one bolt in his plate and a zip tie holding it on threw the other hole. Talk about a pitiful ticket, she says his plate was insecure because it did not have 2 proper bolts in it. His plate has been like that for more than 4 years now but suddenly it is insecure.LOL

Originally posted by johnboy27

They love searching to find something stupid to ticket you on sometimes. My buddy got a ticket a couple months ago , the officer followed him about 10 km's and when he finally got to his workplace( a residential house where he was doing electrical work) she pulled him over out front of the house and ticketed him because he had one bolt in his plate and a zip tie holding it on threw the other hole. Talk about a pitiful ticket, she says his plate was insecure because it did not have 2 proper bolts in it. His plate has been like that for more than 4 years now but suddenly it is insecure.LOL
    Or he had fours to fix it properly and it took a ticket to finally get him to do it.
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Zero102
    1) In-transit permits are valid for 1 trip only, not to just drive around for 7 days
    2) You don't mention once whether you actually did sell your old car, or the date you bought your new car
    3) WTF is this 14 days until you have to register it post-oop crap? The car needs to have some variety of registration to be driven for those 14 days, simply getting an OOP does not function as registration for those 14 days. It only means that if you don't turn the form in and register a plate to the car within 14 days you need a new inspection.

You don't need _THAT_ plate to register the car, if you really don't want your OOP to expire just go in and get a new plate when you register it. If you really feel it is unjust and the officer is incorrect then you will now be fully registered and legal while you read through all of the advice in this forum about fighting tickets and what you can do.

I went to the registry they only had a 3 day trip permit for 24$ , I asked them about a 7 day trip permit, they said they do not have those.

Does anyone know of any other trip permit besides this 3 day for 24$

Strange, i purchased a car in AZ they had a $1 trip permit for 3 days. you could even purchase it online

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by thetransporter
    I went to the registry they only had a 3 day trip permit for 24$ , I asked them about a 7 day trip permit, they said they do not have those.
    The 3 day is for in-transit within Alberta. The 7 day is for in-transit from out of province. You have to show a bill of sale from out of province to qualify for a 7 day in-transit permit.

Half the staff at local registries doesn't know that and is annoying as fuck. Last car I brought up from the US, they only gave me a 3 day. It expired, and I had to get another one in Lethbridge. The girl there saw OOP, and immediately gave me a 7 day in-transit.

If they won't give you a 7 day for OOP in transits, tell them to read the rules, or ask for a manager.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by johnboy27

Yup, seen people get those. That's an easy win for him. A friend had just one bolt holding his palte on, got a ticket, fought it with an engineering chart showing that the clamping load for a single 1/4" bold ws something like 700 pounds, then asking the officer to estimate the weight of the plate lol.

I saw a guy pulling into Timmies get some sort of "obstructed windshield" ticket for having an air freshener tree thing on his rear view mirror.

LOL
    Last edited by Toma; 06-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by rage2

The 3 day is for in-transit within Alberta. The 7 day is for in-transit from out of province. You have to show a bill of sale from out of province to qualify for a 7 day in-transit permit.

Half the staff at local registries doesn't know that and is annoying as fuck. Last car I brought up from the US, they only gave me a 3 day. It expired, and I had to get another one in Lethbridge. The girl there saw OOP, and immediately gave me a 7 day in-transit.

If they won't give you a 7 day for OOP in transits, tell them to read the rules, or ask for a manager.

thanks a lot, thats what i thought. good work

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by 71car2
    Hell, I even drove an old van with the former owner's plate from Washington State with insurance covered - transfered to me for short term period (good for one way trip).
    a.) That's some US states - plates go with cars, not owners. b.) The insurance would've been invalid anyway as the owner sold the car. Had anything happened while driving it back, you would've been royally fucked. You were basically driving with no insurance.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24

a.) That's some US states - plates go with cars, not owners. b.) The insurance would've been invalid anyway as the owner sold the car. Had anything happened while driving it back, you would've been royally fucked. You were basically driving with no insurance.
    Yeah you got that right. That was then when I had no idea anything about this fact. Remember, the U.S. owner AND his insurance agent basically told to my face that it all good to go. The agent did wrote in my name on the insurance papers. I just took their word and I ended up in B.C. with no problem.

What's even more shocking to me was that the Canada customs didn't bat their eyes with these papers I showed to them. Go figure that!

Anyway, I had since transfered to B.C. plate with inspection passed, put in storage then took it to Alberta some months later.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by clem24

the car i bought from texas sitting in storage still has a texas plate, i pull it onto the street once in a while even let it sit (always insured) on the road no one said anything.

so plate does not expire ? because i am planning on selling it back to a texan and hes asking me and I have no clue..

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Dilmah

Or he had fours to fix it properly and it took a ticket to finally get him to do it.
    The fact that it has been there for four years means it was clearly not insecure, use your head. She wasted about a half an hour or more for a simple ticket that could have been a simple warning , all she had to do was pull him over and walk to the window and say, please fix this issue or next time I will ticket you. He is a normally law abiding citizen who does not want any tickets and really did not feel that his plate was attached in an unsafe manner.( which the plate was not unsafe anyway, just a horseshit excuse to make some money)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3