Quantcast
Illmotion Video - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Illmotion Video

Default Illmotion Video

Hey guys. It was my first time out at illmotion and my first time doing videography of an event. I've always loved the idea of videography car shoots / event overviews and decided i'd try it out. Mind you I had no previous experience with doing videography, and not really much equipment other than my Velbon tripod that extends a little. I'm looking to buy a Camera Stabilizer, a Slider, and another battery or two in the near future which will help tremendously for these things. Also I wasn't able to stay for very long because of work which limited the amount of video I had and I also missed roll in which would have made the intro that much better
    ALL Criticism is welcome.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

The panning parts are real hard on the eyes.
    Once you figure out a way to get some better video stability during those shots you will have much better success.

Good editing and music, keep it up.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Yeah I noticed that too. I think that had to do with the program I used and "stability" or whatever it called it. Because it was kind of shaky (When I was on the ground) when I was up top on the hill I was using a tripod and it was nicer because it was slower as well..
    But thank you. Maybe I just need to clean up my tripod and get the dust out of there.
    But thanks. Also some more transitions would be nice IMO. I just need to watch more of other peoples videos and see what they use.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Nice video! Thank you for doing some video for us!

Practice makes perfect

Thanks! It always interested me so I thought why not haha.
    But of course! Too bad there is only a limited amount of bigger events a year to practice on! =P
    Guess i'll have to practice with individual car shoots or something?

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

You can practice with anything, really. Items in the house, regular cars, etc.

It looks like you have the concept down, you just need to fine tune it. With some proper gear and a little bit more practice with editing and panning, I'm sure you'll see improvement.

Perhaps try watching some videos made by others and try mimicking what they've done.

Hmm I guess! Never really thought of that. haha
    But Thanks. I'm probably going to order a camera stabilizer such as this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XJXJU/ and possibly even a slider. The stabilizer will help with shots around the cars and such. I still dont know if i really need a new lens or not. Hm. I've got a Canon 60D with the kit 18-200mm lens as well as a 50mm f1.4 lens.
    But yeah. Especially with the transitions and such. .
    I had like 2 in there where it went black before a bigger beat which I think turned out pretty nicely. But yeah. Its all practice and such haha.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Definitely keep practicing! You start to get the hang of it after a couple videos.

And make sure you google some exporting/rendering settings, our first video of the show last year wasn’t too bad on our computer but once we rendered and uploaded it the quality went to shit and we didn’t know WTF was going on. We re-rendered it well after the fact with different setting and was so much smoother. Wish we knew that from the beginning.

Heh thanks!
    Im using PowerDirector atm, and it seems to do a decent job exporting it to youtube (if youre watching the video in 1080 that is) so I didnt think there was something wrong with it. But I will check that out for sure.

pretty good buddy enjoyed watching your video

Thanks Toster.
    All criticism does help guys! Thanks for the support!

My Ride
    See sig

For video's like this, it might help to start with a storyboard, so you can go into an event knowing what to shoot, what you're going to need when it comes time to put it all together.

Feature a couple of the best cars, make them the main attraction by not having too many of the same shot.

A lot of your wide-angle panning shots are too long. chop them up, and jump back-and-forth between them and have 2-3 seconds per clip. We don't need to take in the detail of a parking lot full of cars. Save the slow panning shots for the 'feature' vehicles of the video. That's where you slow it down and allow us to take in all the detail.

Garage sale skateboard + a bolt = cheap glidetrack.
    You can even use a piece of string to stabilize a camera if you're creative enough.

Good choice of music.
    Amazing shot of the Jetta being cleaned.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

Hmm ill definitely take that into consideration! Thanks for the constructive criticism. I really do appreciate them all.