Quantcast
85 MPH speed limit in Texas - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 MPH speed limit in Texas

My Ride
    your mom

Doing 10 over, when everyone else is doing the speed limit, you stand out. If everyone is doing 10 over, you won't get noticed. When I still lived down there, that's how it went. Flow is more important than speed in major urban areas and on major interstates. Now on a side road, doing 10-15 over, you will get pulled over. But you see the fundamental difference.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    2000 blazer lt 4x4

a couple weeks ago we drove from saskatoon to orlando fl, the US interstates are way better than any highways we have up here driving through minneapolis, st louis and atlanta we were going 75-80mph all the way through the citys , atlanta is 7 lanes aech direction and the traffic was steady and lane changing was good just signal and they let you in.

Originally posted by lellowrx7

How many times have you slammed the brakes because buddy in front of you got in your lane doing 10-20 under you?
    This happens so fucking often and I don't understand why. Happened to me the other day on Deerfoot NB, some woman pulled out of an exit lane that wasn't moving into regular-flowing traffic while she was doing about 5km/h.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Why do people say in texas that policing is not done on speed?

No one goes over 10 mph over the limit on the interstates. When I go down there all my friends and family tell me not to go over 10 over as you will likely get pulled over.

Of course there is the odd car that goes faster. But it's rare.
    Cops in Houston are always blowing by in the left lane on the freeway doing at least 20-30 MPH over. They don't seem to mind if you're moving with the flow of traffic, which is typically 10 - 15 MPH over the limit.

The freeways here can move quite well at those speeds, but even with 6 lanes across in each direction, the freeways can also slow to a crawl due to volume at almost any time of the day

Whomever said Calgary has such horrible drivers needs to try living in Houston for a bit. Drivers here much more aggressive, and more commonly have incredibly stupid and dangerous habits, such as: tailgating by two feet at 75 MPH, riding in blindspots, weaving in and out of traffic with feet to spare without signalling, accelerating to block other cars from making lane changes. All executed in very heavy traffic that means any incident isn't going to involve just two cars. Sure you see all that in Calgary, but definitely not with near the frequency that there is here. Most of you would have an aneurysm here given how much the odd bad Calgary driver upsets you all so much.

I've seen the aftermath of a few crashes on the freeway, and almost got caught up in one myself, but I was lucky that I had given myself enough space from the cars ahead.

This place gives you perspective that comparatively, driving in Calgary isn't that bad. It also makes you realize how pitiful our road infrastructure is, even for our (small) size.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 06-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Cops in Houston are always blowing by in the left lane on the freeway doing at least 20-30 MPH over. They don't seem to mind if you're moving with the flow of traffic, which is typically 10 - 15 MPH over the limit.
    I always see people getting pulled over in Houston
    Everyone does drive super fast and agressive though. The roads are awesome though, especially the turnaround points on the freeways.

My Ride
    NC1

Driving down stretches of Crowchild and Glenmore, speed limit is 80kms/h, I felt like such a bad ass doing 120. But it felt safe though? Shit. I must be a good driver or just another dumbass not obeying the laws.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by lellowrx7

We don't have a speed minimum posted so people feels its ok to drive 90 on deer foot because they are under the limit.

Note the signs with triangles on portions of deerfoot trail that say 'no slow moving traffic.' Under normal conditions the minimum speed limit on deerfoot is 70 KPH.

Biggest problem with Deerfoot is too many intersections too close together and not enough lanes. Memorial/17th Avenue - huge clusterfuck in either direction. Same goes for Anderson/Southland NB - just way too many cars trying to jockey on/off the Deerfoot in too short of a distance. NB Deerfoot between 32 Ave to Beddington - another gong show.

Don't really think Deerfoot is really fixable - not enough room in the places it needs to be fixed. 5 lanes each way and a few less intersections would've been a great way to start and would've gone a long ways to regular higher average speeds instead of the mess we have now and will have for as long as I'm still probably driving.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by schocker

I always see people getting pulled over in Houston
    Everyone does drive super fast and agressive though. The roads are awesome though, especially the turnaround points on the freeways.
    I haven't seen too many people pulled over. I'm guessing you get pulled over if you stick out in traffic? I just try to blend in with traffic.

Frontage roads are pretty awesome too. The feeder roads running parallel to the actual freeway are bigger than some of Calgary's "big" roads, haha.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Yeah, Driving from Vegas, I think 75mph is quite common, and some areas through Utah are 80 as well.

It's cool.

Canada sucks asshole.

Can you imagine being a poor bastard from the Nazi nation of BC with it's 90 limit? I guess with the entire province high on BC bud, maybe 90 seems fast, but come on!.

And even when you speed on that Calgary/Vegas stretch, there isn't some tool with a speed gun playing "gotcha" every few miles. Quite often, we are booking it at 100mph, towing a trailer, and they usually just give you a flash of the lights, but otherwise leave you alone.
    Last edited by Toma; 06-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

I haven't seen too many people pulled over. I'm guessing you get pulled over if you stick out in traffic? I just try to blend in with traffic.

Frontage roads are pretty awesome too. The feeder roads running parallel to the actual freeway are bigger than some of Calgary's "big" roads, haha.
    Word, I rarely see anyone pulled over in the US, or such a concentration on speed traps and traffic laws.

I always assumed cops there are busy doing actual police work

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by Toma
    Yeah, Driving from Vegas, I think 75mph is quite common, and some areas through Utah are 80 as well.

It's cool.

Canada sucks asshole.

Can you imagine being a poor bastard from the Nazi nation of BC with it's 90 limit? I guess with the entire province high on BC bud, maybe 90 seems fast, but come on!.

And even when you speed on that Calgary/Vegas stretch, there isn't some tool with a speed gun playing "gotcha" every few miles. Quite often, we are booking it at 100mph, towing a trailer, and they usually just give you a flash of the lights, but otherwise leave you alone.
    I just drove the I-15 a week ago from Vegas. I love that road.

I got a $20 speeding ticket in Montana lol, for 10 miles over.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by J-hop
    Ya I don't know where you got that attention increases with speed. **Maybe** at first when 137 feels fast, but If you do that every day for 6 months, a year do you think you'd pay the same amount of attention or would you become complacent and 137 would be the new 100???

Sorry I'm just not down with every clueless soccer mom in a caravan ripping around at 130+kph....
    Go drive around in Germany, and tell me how much your attention span slips.

My Ride
    Grimace

Well most of my trips there are on 59 then towards galleria area mostly. They just wait at the bottom of the hills to get people. I believe they also nab people in the hov lanes with no passengers. I love all the roads though, farm roads between freeways, lots of ramps and whatnot so you never really have to stop. Downtown is also awesome how the freeway is kind of above and around it so it is always easy driving down there.

It's cool.

Canada sucks asshole.

BC doesn't have a 90 limit where are you getting the from?? Your brief jaunts through the park? (which is 90 on the Alberta side too!!!)

As for your Germany comment I've addressed it already, you're new to driving in Germany and having traffic flow at those types of speeds of course you are going to pay a lot more attention (or did you live there???) and as I mentioned it's pretty silly to compare places to canada that have drastically different driving environments.

Toma, I think enough is enough (don't you?), it's time you do something about your absolute hatred for the nazi(your words) nation of Canada. If you continue to live here you choose to put yourself through what you seem to consider hell, that is no one's fault but your own. Quit trying to blame it on the government, there is no one with a gun to your head saying you have to live here is there? If you answered no to this question than you owe it to yourself to seek out happiness somewhere else that fits with your personal values better.

My Ride
    NC1

Word, I rarely see anyone pulled over in the US, or such a concentration on speed traps and traffic laws.

I always assumed cops there are busy doing actual police work
    Speed cameras raked in $40mill lol how about actual written up traffic tickets?

Might as well put a camera at every intersection!
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2006 Chev Duramax

Did the drive from calgary > vegas > la > up PCH to portland back in december. Had my sti going 80 on average for the entire stretch to vegas. Once going through Salt Lake we were at 90 for basically the entire length of the I-15. The speedlimit bumps up to 80 in a couple areas and the traffic flows around 85-90 at those points, which didnt feel excesive at all. I can see why they call it americas autobahn!
    Over 6000km in 5 days and only one ticket in Santa Rosa doing 15mph over...$350! insane. Cops were cool though, they loved the car and were asking me if i ever drift my STI
    Last edited by f150mikey060; 06-11-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.

The problem here is the winter IMO. The speed limits are designed to work year round. While in the midst of summer, 110 might seem slow, it is dangerous as hell in -20, and as many of you stated above, drivers around here seem to be challenged in understanding the physics between their cars and the road.

This would work well in Texas where their challenge is understanding the concept of "snow".
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Maxt
    Sigh. Never happen here, cuz speed kills yah know.. ...
    yes i agree .it will never happen here when people do 80km/h on memorial in the 50 zone..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast