Quantcast
Baller cables for baller Beyonders - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Baller cables for baller Beyonders

Default Baller cables for baller Beyonders

Stumbled upon this on Amazon.com while drinking my AM coffee - I suppose serious shit for the more baller Beyonders.

A $6,899.75 6 foot AC cable, a $4,494.75 8M ethernet cable - see their web site here.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

lol, makes the 10101010 look like IOIOIOIOIOIO cleaner more semtrical binary for the low price of 5k.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

OMG, the comments on the first one are hilarious!

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...owViewpoints=1

lol, lets not get into a cable debate!!

there are also ridiculious companies like Shunyata and even one that was based here for a while...

when it comes down to it... you reach a level of diminishing returns, but the better the more oxygen free (like Gold, Silver or Copper), ferrite filtered (for RF) and better enclosure to prevent EMI the better the signal

I have heard the differences with good speaker cables, interconnects, power conditoners/regenerators with good power cables as well as have seen good quality HDMI cables made subtle improvements

(you can do an a/b comparison at any home theatre/hifi store like general audio)

but once you get past getting to that "good" level, its all crazy bullshit

Originally posted by r3ccOs

there are also ridiculious companies like Shunyata and even one that was based here for a while...

when it comes down to it... you reach a level of diminishing returns, but the better the more oxygen free (like Gold, Silver or Copper), ferrite filtered (for RF) and better enclosure to prevent EMI the better the signal

I have heard the differences with good speaker cables, interconnects, power conditoners/regenerators with good power cables as well as have seen good quality HDMI cables made subtle improvements

(you can do an a/b comparison at any home theatre/hifi store like general audio)

So, can they mark you down for a $6,899.75 AC cable or does that one start to fall into the realm of crazy bullshit?

LMAO, i like how you say "lets not get into a cable debate!!" by then proceeding to start the debate.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

as well as have seen good quality HDMI cables made subtle improvements

Shit, where were you when Randi was offering a million dollars to anyone who could back up those claims? You could have made some serious coin!

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Shit, where were you when Randi was offering a million dollars to anyone who could back up those claims? You could have made some serious coin!
    lol..!

my buddy has a pretty high end Runco projector for his home theatre, which is composed of a lexcon processor, Bryston 4b sst's powering Danley Sound Lab's in-wall PA's and tapped horn subwoofers

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

and for shits and grins, we played around with some basic HDMI cables that came with his OPPO (I think is where it was) compared to a straightwire one he just picked up, and there was a tangable different, which to me wasn't even subtle...

but hey, I wish I could've made a million dollars

Originally posted by spike98

LMAO, i like how you say "lets not get into a cable debate!!" by then proceeding to start the debate.
    teehehe

well check this.. not a capacity issue with the amperage rated for the power cable, but we were having issues at work with a IBM P5-595 which for the longest time we were seeing issues with componant failure from the system controller, redundant power supplies to the backplane...

IBM keeped chaulking this up as being a facilities issue with power condition etc... the rack power, the power balancing etc...
    heck we had a certified Leibert engineer come in and he verfied that there was no issues with our data center power configuration at all... there was no flapping from grid to condtioned power and all other systems were fine... (servers like DL585's, hitachi 9990's, Clariion San's were all good)

again we kept pounding on IBM's hardware support and one day they just came up with... oh we just certified a power cable which was a simple Volex 17504 (I think 12awg)
    looks no different than the belden one we had, that we grabbed from our big nest of cables anyways... but sure enough, replaced them and we no longer had componant failures on that Chassis...

who knows right? I'm sure all other IT guys here are thinking WTF, but that was what IBM's AIX hardware support came back with, and I'm not sure whether they opened a APAR for this...
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Last edited by thetransporter; 06-12-2012 at 07:33 PM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

teehehe

well check this.. not a capacity issue with the amperage rated for the power cable, but we were having issues at work with a IBM P5-595 which for the longest time we were seeing issues with componant failure from the system controller, redundant power supplies to the backplane...

IBM keeped chaulking this up as being a facilities issue with power condition etc... the rack power, the power balancing etc...
    heck we had a certified Leibert engineer come in and he verfied that there was no issues with our data center power configuration at all... there was no flapping from grid to condtioned power and all other systems were fine... (servers like DL585's, hitachi 9990's, Clariion San's were all good)

again we kept pounding on IBM's hardware support and one day they just came up with... oh we just certified a power cable which was a simple Volex 17504 (I think 12awg)
    looks no different than the belden one we had, that we grabbed from our big nest of cables anyways... but sure enough, replaced them and we no longer had componant failures on that Chassis...

who knows right? I'm sure all other IT guys here are thinking WTF, but that was what IBM's AIX hardware support came back with, and I'm not sure whether they opened a APAR for this...
    So, did you bother to do a continuity/resistance check the original power cord to see if there was a physical issue with it, since you just pulled it out of the *nest* of cables? Or did you just accept that the "certified" one was better than any others. Did you ever try to replace the power cord with another out of the "nest" just as a double check, or another known good one?

I would bet you dollars to donuts that if you tested the "bad" power cable, you would probably find that it's got a a physical issue on it like a pulled connection from being improperly yanked out of plug.

Maybe you could take your high end cable, and your standard lamp cord, and compare them on a fluke and you might be able to see some difference, but that's the only way. Lots of double blind tests out there with lamp cord vs "quality" stuff where nobody could tell the difference. It's all marketing BS to part fools from their money.
    Last edited by codetrap; 06-13-2012 at 11:35 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Yeah I posted this over a year ago. Looks like they're prices went up!! Must mean there is a demand for it!

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/332144/hd...-monster-what/

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.

I am all for high end HT equipment (which in itself has very obvious points of diminishing return at various price levels), but I think the cable game is 99% BS.

I have seen tests where Audiophiles with supposed "golden ears" failed to tell the difference between $5,000 speaker wire and a coat hanger in a blind test. Now assume there IS a difference between a coat hanger and expensive speaker wire (which there probably is, minutely) - that would make the difference between decent, reasonably priced, speaker wire and ridiculous speaker wire immeasurably small. Next assume they CAN tell a noticable difference. Could they guess which cable was which correctly 10 times in a row on a blind test using a variety of source material? Guaranteed they could not. Finally, assume there was a repeatable, noticeable, difference between an $8400 cable and $20c/ft speaker wire. Would the expensive cables give you more benefit than investing that money in actual better HT equipment (i.e. better speakers)? Nope.

People who own these cables have also been offered large sums of money (a test of $1,000,000 comes to mind), if they could tell the difference between crazy expensive wire and regular wire, but if not, they would have to pay. Guess what - they did not accept the challenge. If there was a noticeable difference, that would be the easiest million they've ever made. Nobody who says they can tell a difference would ever put large amounts of their own money on the line to prove their claims. What that says is there is either no difference, or the difference is so small, it's not reliably identified.

I truly believe it's in people's heads, and you can believe anything you want to if you try hard enough. That said, if you truly think you can hear a difference, and that 0.01% difference only noticable using complex measuring equipment is worth it to you, who am I to say buying a $8400 cable is ridiculous. People buy what makes them happy, so if cables made of unicorn tears is what floats you boat, all the power to you!
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    oooo

hahahaha, this shit makes me laugh so much. No concept of how digital signals work.

no such thing as "kinda on" and "kinda off". For analog signals it is a totally different story, but that being said the limitation is 99.99999% components and not the conductors. You put a cable with 0.001% signal loss on a RCA input that is soldered with tin paste to a 70's phenolic board and well you get the idea...
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Might as well toss this one into the mix...

Monster Cables vs Coat Hangers

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/a...ter-cable-and/
    Last edited by sputnik; 06-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Originally posted by codetrap

So, did you bother to do a continuity/resistance check the original power cord to see if there was a physical issue with it, since you just pulled it out of the *nest* of cables? Or did you just accept that the "certified" one was better than any others. Did you ever try to replace the power cord with another out of the "nest" just as a double check, or another known good one?

I would bet you dollars to donuts that if you tested the "bad" power cable, you would probably find that it's got a a physical issue on it like a pulled connection from being improperly yanked out of plug.

Maybe you could take your high end cable, and your standard lamp cord, and compare them on a fluke and you might be able to see some difference, but that's the only way. Lots of double blind tests out there with lamp cord vs "quality" stuff where nobody could tell the difference. It's all marketing BS to part fools from their money.
    the answer is yes, we took the cable and tested it... and there wasn't anything wrong with the Belden cable, same AWG, same length, same amperage/voltage capabilities
    we took a volt meter, and we saw no higher ohm reading than any other

tested on a standalone APC powering a rack of UAT servers... and no problems, none at all

this was the cause of our instability resulting in alot of tangables in loss of productivity and intangables, such as loss of confidance...

as to the audiable differences in lets say interconnect cables or speaker cables... well I have and I can say there are definately subtle differences and have surprised friends, often skeptics, on my stereo

get just one person to conduct it... have a couple frineds with beer sit in front of a reasonably revealing system and have at her...
    I mean this can be done at any audio shop, but for those "skeptics", just go to a friend's house to have a go...

though oscilloscopes will give you sine waves and all that... my best friend's dad's, who owns a electronics repair shop in winnipeg, agrees that the ear will be more sensitive to those subtleties than any piece of measuring devices... whether that be a scope or spl meter

but without a doubt, there is no cable in the world worth that kind of cash, nor will a cable "fix" a system that just doesn't have synergy

a "reasonable" system you can probably locate would be to listen to cable changes on a decent quality set of speakers like Paradigm Studio series (40, 60, 100)
    a good quality intergrated amp (rega brio, Creek, Jolida, Arcam)
    a neutral and revelaing CDP (Cambridge 640, 840, Arcam)

and get someone to change the interconnect or speaker cables behind a drape