Quantcast
Would you speed if there was an incentive not to? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you speed if there was an incentive not to?

Default Would you speed if there was an inventive not to?

Would you speed if there was an incentive not to - see Herald story here.

Dude, incentive spelling fail twice

Don't we already kinda have this except it isn't real time (ie speeding tickets) I think on average those of us without speeding tickets pay less insurance than those that do have speeding tickets, but I doubt that incentive really encourages people to respect the limit. Might be kinda cool though to have real time, as max would be quick to point out I'd have the lowest insurance on beyond

I think in the short term it might work but long term I think people would just say screw it.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by J-hop
    I think on average those of us without speeding tickets pay less insurance than those that do have speeding tickets, but I doubt that incentive really encourages people to respect the limit.
    I don't speed for that reason. I'm too cheap to want to pay more.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i have a disorder... i call it trafficphobia i cant stand being in it. i must be in the front. if there is no traffic, i will drive slow. one person in front? "GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY!!!"

but really... i have a problem, incentives do not help it

My Ride
    Grimace

Calgary Bob

9:48 PM on 6/12/2012

Absolutely. We cannot sustain the ever increasing costs of health care to put people back together that have been injured in a speeding vehicle. The question here is would impounding and a $1000 fine for speeding plust $1000 for every km over the posted speed limit make one slow down. And with enforcement it will in a number of ways, including making one so poor they couldn't afford the cost to fill up the gas tank. But it;s a small price to pay compared to the health care costs. Come to think of it, if one causes a crash, they should have to pay the health care costs of putting the injured people back together.
    lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Yes, I speed and will always speed. I have explained my theory at work. If I speed, I get places faster, can be more relaxed when I arrive or even leave a bit later and spend a few more minutes at home. Long distance trips, sure, speeding will save you a ton of time. There are also the people that say "Oh you are just speeding to the next red light" sure, but the other 9/10 times I make it through, I am long gone. Therefore, Speeding = Improved Quality of Life

Also I have noticed people accelerate really slowly here to begin with. I have my stupid powerless volvo and out accelerate people with the pedal 1/3 of the way down to the speed limit. Looking in the rear view, I see everyone a huge distance back

Posted from my cell phone, didn't catch the auto correct stuff in my post above. That or I'm just kind of old.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing

Nope, I have better things to do than obey the speed limit

Originally posted by schocker

Also I have noticed people accelerate really slowly here to begin with. I have my stupid powerless volvo and out accelerate people with the pedal 1/3 of the way down to the speed limit. Looking in the rear view, I see everyone a huge distance back
    I too don't undertsand this - it's like people don't understand green = go. And I don't mean floor it, I just mean accelerate at a reasonable pace.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by M.alex
    Nope, I have better things to do than obey the speed limit

I too don't undertsand this - it's like people don't understand green = go. And I don't mean floor it, I just mean accelerate at a reasonable pace.
    Why is it then you guys cant seem to find the gas pedal when it comes time to merge onto a freeway?

My Civic has 160 hp and I get passed by impatient people all the time... I accelerate at a steady rate... but these same people then seem to lollagagger when it comes time to merge into moving traffic.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by revelations

Why is it then you guys cant seem to find the gas pedal when it comes time to merge onto a freeway?

My Civic has 160 hp and I get passed by impatient people all the time... I accelerate at a steady rate... but these same people then seem to lollagagger when it comes time to merge into moving traffic.
    you must have never ran into me then. if the space in traffic is large enough for a car i will seamlessly match speed and enter it 4 cars behind you... leaving you no space since you are still not at speed and are nearing the end of the merge lane.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by ercchry

you must have never ran into me then. if the space in traffic is large enough for a car i will seamlessly match speed and enter it 4 cars behind you... leaving you no space since you are still not at speed and are nearing the end of the merge lane.
    pussy; I'll downshift into 2nd and drive on the shoulder on deerfoot to pass everybody

My Ride
    Evo, civic

I think speeding is pretty dumb. Speeding through the city will save you so little time is not worth the gas and the chance of getting a ticket. If you are going to edmonton then yes 15-20kmh faster would make a decent difference but if you are in the city, even travelling from cross iron mills to race city would not save you that much, for sure not enough for a ticket to be worth it since Im so young and already pay so much for insurance. Also what most people don't realize is that most lights are timed so bad that you would have to do almost like 100-110kmh on a 50 to make it ( NOT ALL the lights of course) If you wanna be there and relax once you get to the destination you can always leave 5 minutes earlier instead of speeding.

Edit: I also hate people who take forever to accelerate!!!

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by J-hop
    Dude, incentive spelling fail twice

Don't we already kinda have this except it isn't real time (ie speeding tickets) I think on average those of us without speeding tickets pay less insurance than those that do have speeding tickets, but I doubt that incentive really encourages people to respect the limit. Might be kinda cool though to have real time, as max would be quick to point out I'd have the lowest insurance on beyond

I think in the short term it might work but long term I think people would just say screw it.
    You are the safest/best/smartest driver on beyond no doubt. rage2 has nothing on you when it comes to driving sense.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by georgemagana
    I think speeding is pretty dumb. Speeding through the city will save you so little time is not worth the gas and the chance of getting a ticket. If you are going to edmonton then yes 15-20kmh faster would make a decent difference but if you are in the city, even travelling from cross iron mills to race city would not save you that much, for sure not enough for a ticket to be worth it since Im so young and already pay so much for insurance. Also what most people don't realize is that most lights are timed so bad that you would have to do almost like 100-110kmh on a 50 to make it ( NOT ALL the lights of course) If you wanna be there and relax once you get to the destination you can always leave 5 minutes earlier instead of speeding.

Edit: I also hate people who take forever to accelerate!!!
    No

I would say overall speeding does save quite a bit of time. Of course that does depend on roads so speeding on say stoney/deerfoot/crowchild would save more time than other roads with lots of lights. Lights are timed horribly. I have found on symons valley, if you do 10 over, you are golden if you get the first green light

Theres an insurance company (Progressive) that offers this. You have to insert a logger into your OBD2 port and it monitors the way you drive.

Discounts up to 30% for "good driving habits".
    ---

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by ercchry
    i have a disorder... i call it trafficphobia i cant stand being in it. i must be in the front. if there is no traffic, i will drive slow. one person in front? "GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY!!!"

but really... i have a problem, incentives do not help it
    I feel the same compulsion but for different reasons. The thing is, I drive a lot. Like, a shit lot. When you drive as much as I do two things become imminently clear: 1. You better like what you're driving, and 2. When some dumbass is driving 10 under the limit and accelerating like a turtle and it causes me to miss a light, it negatively affects my day.

These things probably don't affect the average driver who uses his/her automatic civic for 5km commute daily but when I've already driven 300km after a long shift at work where I didn't get to sleep the night before, someone driving like a dink is a pretty upsetting.

That's why I strive to be in front of most people when the opportunity presents itself.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by kenny
    Theres an insurance company (Progressive) that offers this. You have to insert a logger into your OBD2 port and it monitors the way you drive.

Discounts up to 30% for "good driving habits".
    Thankfully that's only in the Excited States (so far). The day my insurance company has a GPS tracking device on my vehicle is the day I go back to riding a horse.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Thankfully that's only in the Excited States (so far). The day my insurance company has a GPS tracking device on my vehicle is the day I go back to riding a horse.
    Better get those riding lessons and a place in the country, that day is not too far away. Once insurance gets on board, all the cogs fall into place.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Get a vehicle without an OBD2 port?

Looks like a form of this electronic filtering is already in effective use in many parts of the world - see this Wikipedia link.

Can't see it being that more difficult to add a GPS unit to such devices - CanmoreOrLess's post is probably closer to reality than most of us would like to believe. If authorities can bring in "congestion pricing" type of tolls, then obviously they know where your vehicle is which means that your vehicle's speed is just another data component they could report to a central collection point.

And not having an OBD2 port wouldn't make a whole hill of beans difference as it would be a wholly separate and unique device that would most likely trigger an alarm in the central database if tampered with in any way. Big brother could very well be watching tomorrow if they wanted to - only thing slowing something like this from coming to fruition would be the voting public, but the apathy of these same voters would probably ensure that something like this could very easily come to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast