Quantcast
Paging Masked Bandit (Insurance Q) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Paging Masked Bandit (Insurance Q)

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Default Paging Masked Bandit (Insurance Q)

I have a vehicle that is very rarely driven and have requested my insurer (AMA) to reduce coverage accordingly and was advised that the lowest coverage required by law to be parked on the street is collision.

Are premiums not risk-based? Does it not follow that if the vehicle is just parked, albeit on a public street, the risk of damage to others and subsequent claims declines?

Thanks

To be legally parked on the street, comprehensive is probably what you need - that said, if you're going to drive the vehicle even once, you'll need PLPD coverage. Collision covers your vehicle's damages if you get into an accident, PLPD covers the other party and comprehensive consists of fire/theft/vandalism - comprehensive is what I have on the one vehicle that's been parked in my garage for almost 20 years. Drop all insurance and if the vehicle is older, chances are you'll need an inspection done before you can re-insure it - keep comprehensive on and you're good to go (at least with the AMA).
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

minimum would be liability, not collision. but if you want to be covered in the event of a hit and run (which is the most likely claim you would be dealing with imo. then yes collision.

if you want lover rates, drop your liability coverage down to the minimum (so $250k, or $500k... cant remember)

raise your deductible too.

If it's going to be parked on the street without being driven, comprehensive and collision I'd say plus plates so you don't get towed.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by speedog
    If it's going to be parked on the street without being driven, comprehensive and collision I'd say plus plates so you don't get towed.
    public street, liability is the legal requirement for all cars on said street.

Originally posted by speedog
    so much fail.

You need at least $200,000 Liability on any vehicle parked on public streets.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Thanks guys; yes you're right, I misquoted her. Here's the excerpt from the expert:

On your policy right now the GMC has liability only on it, (this is what covers damage to a third party/ others on the road) this is the lowest coverage we can give if it is still parked on the street.
    I still don't understand why I can't drop it to comprehensive since there's really no (logical) chance that the vehicle will be involved in an at-fault collision.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

brake fails, rolls over 10 kids... kids of rich powerful people...

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Comprehensive is not "dropping it", $200,000 liability is the lowest insurance coverage you can get in Alberta, comprehensive covers you for some types of damage if someone hits your parked car.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Comprehensive is not "dropping it", $200,000 liability is the lowest insurance coverage you can get in Alberta, comprehensive covers you for some types of damage if someone hits your parked car.

Comprehensive: Fire, Theft, Vandalism, Animal Impact, Hail Storm, Wind Storm, & Flying Objects

Collision: Single Vehicle Accidents, Mulit-Vehicle Accidents, Stationary objects(at fault), Hit & Run(Not at fault)
    Last edited by friedn00dles; 06-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    14' 435i

All you need is comprehensive insurance..

this covers alot of things:

-Acts of god (natural disasters)
    -Fire
    -Theft
    -Vandalism

and YES.. hit and run...

i can attest to this as my car WAS involved in a hit and run (with comprehensive) and needed to be repaired. I paid a 500 deductible i believe (may have been 250) and it was repaired at no fault of my own.

Originally posted by Isaiah
    Thanks guys; yes you're right, I misquoted her. Here's the excerpt from the expert:

I still don't understand why I can't drop it to comprehensive since there's really no (logical) chance that the vehicle will be involved in an at-fault collision.
    By Alberta Law - it is illegal to have a vehicle parked on public roads without liability insurance.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

If you want to have comprehensive coverage park it in your garage or parking pad.
    Its not only about money. Its about freedom, friends and family too.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Zewind

By Alberta Law - it is illegal to have a vehicle parked on public roads without liability insurance.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

If you want to have comprehensive coverage park it in your garage or parking pad.

On public streets, you NEED liability coverage. Only on private property is it ok to only have comprehensive

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Thanks for the replies.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Originally posted by GOnSHO

this covers alot of things:

-Acts of god (natural disasters)
    -Fire
    -Theft
    -Vandalism

and YES.. hit and run...

i can attest to this as my car WAS involved in a hit and run (with comprehensive) and needed to be repaired. I paid a 500 deductible i believe (may have been 250) and it was repaired at no fault of my own.
    Comprehensive DOES NOT COVER hit and run (that is Collision - NOT AT FAULT) You got lucky IMO!
    Last edited by guessboi; 06-13-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by GOnSHO

I'm not saying your lying, but that's just not true. Comprehensive never covers hit & run. You may have had collision without knowing it or they may have found the other driver and claimed on their policy.

As to the OP, I'm happy to say my clients are well educated. More than one of them posted the correct response. You MUST have liability of some kind to be parked on the street. That is the law. Whether or not that law makes sense is another conversation. The chances of your car magically rolling down the street are ridiculously low BUT I have had it happen to one of my clients. The vehicle was parked on a bit of an incline and the client came out in the morning to find his car had rolled about 30 feet right into the front end of another vehicle.

If you want protection from Hit & Run, then you need collision as well. If you want protection from theft, vandalism, hail, etc. then you need to add comprehensive.

OP, do you have somewhere to park the car that isn't on the street (driveway, garage, back yard, etc.)? If it's on private property you can have as much or as little coverage as you are comfortable with.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    14' 435i

you sirs are correct, i forgot my car HAD to have collision at the time...

no fault claim.. my bad..

my mom was my insurance agent so i verified..

comp (private parking)
    liability (able to drive it)
    collision

are the 3 levels