Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2012-2013 Edition

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by toyboy88
    Backs re-signed for 1 year, $725K.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637307
    Never understood the hype around that guy. He was supposed to be the center for Iginla at the start of last season and I couldn't understand it. He's never been that good.

Pretty much the same old team for the same old finish.

My Ride
    TDi

This is his last chance to prove he is a top 6. If not, to the ahl you go.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by duaner

Never understood the hype around that guy. He was supposed to be the center for Iginla at the start of last season and I couldn't understand it. He's never been that good.

Pretty much the same old team for the same old finish.
    Hype was from the fact that he was a first round pick, scored at a decent clip in junior and was generally touted as a good quality prospect.

Last year was pretty much a write off due to injuries.

Like this contract. Puts the pressure on Backlund to perform this year to prove himself plus it's cheap and short term.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I hope they don't play him 700k type minutes, this kid has talent and needs the ice time to develop.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by supe
    I hope they don't play him 700k type minutes, this kid has talent and needs the ice time to develop.
    I consider him fifth on the depth chart at center behind cammy, cervenka, stajan and jones. Of course that is assuming cammy slots in at center since hudler most likely will play wing.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Backlund > Stajan > Jones

Who knows about Cervenka.

My Ride
    impreza

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Backlund > Stajan > Jones

Who knows about Cervenka.
    Jones > Stajan for a 4th line checking role.

Stajan needs to play in a top 6/9 role where his linemates aren't plugs to be effective. You can't play him between Jackman and TKO (now Bouma/Alliu/Nemisz, etc) for 8 mins a night and expect him to be effective.

I feel like we are in the exact same situation as we were last year. Tons of vets signed, basically 1 forward and 1 D spot are up for grabs (Horak and Brodie grabbed them last year) and without 300+ man games lost to injury, none of the young guys will get a sniff. The team seemed to go through the motions a lot of nights last year, cashing cheques on the way to the country club. When Byron, Baertschi, Aliu, Nemisz, Bouma and Horak were all playing, the team had a real positive energy, I was hoping for more of that this year.

Hopefully Feaster clears out some bodies, and gives more than 1-2 young guys a chance to crack the team this year.

How could anyone be excited for this team? haha.

With the signings of parise and suter to minnesota, calgary is now the laughing stock of the NW division.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    How could anyone be excited for this team? haha.

With the signings of parise and suter to minnesota, calgary is now the laughing stock of the NW division.

if we're the laughing stock, then what do you call Edmonton?

Originally posted by colinxx235
    if we're the laughing stock, then what do you call Edmonton?
    A team with a game plan and potential? A team packed with young talent? A team with few existing holes? A team with nowhere to go but up?

I'm not an Oiler fan, but from the outside looking in I would much rather be in Edmonton's shoes than Calgary's.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Edmonton will be all of the above

IF they get some goaltending this year.
    IF Shultz game translates to the NHL.
    IF the other 5 Dmen who were funnels can get better.
    IF Hall can stop injuring himself.
    IF all the other young guys dont disappear like last year.
    IF they can keep this core together past the expiring ECL contracts.

No doubt they have arguably the best young forward talent in the NHL but they have also been THE worst team for quite a few seasons. I dont hate edmonton by any means; Vancouver Canuck fans take up all the room for hate I have but Edmonton like every year for the last 5 is a team full of IFs.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I'll agree with Mibz, I'd rather be in edmontons shoes, at least they have IF's, Calgary is just doomed. I thought feaster went on record and said it would be a busy July 1st. What a let down.

The thing about Edmonton is yes they have IF's but they also have A LOT to work with if even just for trading chips. What would other teams give up for Eberle, or Hall, or ...

Yup, and their trading chips are likely to get more valuable by the time their entry-level contracts expire. Calgary's two main assets are depreciating every day.

Full disclosure, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it sounds right in my head.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Mibz
    Yup, and their trading chips are likely to get more valuable by the time their entry-level contracts expire. Calgary's two main assets are depreciating every day.

Full disclosure, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it sounds right in my head.
    110% agree.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Originally posted by supe
    I'll agree with Mibz, I'd rather be in edmontons shoes, at least they have IF's, Calgary is just doomed. I thought feaster went on record and said it would be a busy July 1st. What a let down.

The thing about Edmonton is yes they have IF's but they also have A LOT to work with if even just for trading chips. What would other teams give up for Eberle, or Hall, or ...
    In all fairness they had two routes to take.

1) Trade away aging players.

2) Go out and try to sign some guys to improve the team.

They took the later route and to be honest they did end up getting two of the more desired FA's available.

It's not like Suter or Parise were ever an option as neither were coming to Canada.

Originally posted by dflamzer

In all fairness they had two routes to take.

1) Trade away aging players.

2) Go out and try to sign some guys to improve the team.

They took the later route and to be honest they did end up getting two of the more desired FA's available.

It's not like Suter or Parise were ever an option as neither were coming to Canada.
    They always take route 2 and it always gives the same result. I really hope it works this year.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

So people seem to be bagging the moves we made pretty hard. Given the position of our team on June 30th, what moves would you have liked to see instead? And keep it realistic.

True, Oilers have nowhere to go but up. Everybody has been saying this for the past three years, but nobody gets bored of saying it. I love how everyone expects them to be better than the Flames, but it still hasn't happened. I would rather my team flirt with a playoff spot than cheer for a loser just so they can get a high draft pick, year after year after year.

Oilers are like the slow kid in class that everyone wants see succeed by giving words of encouragement and a helping hand, but at the end of the day, they're still retarded.

They re-signed Dubnyk for 2 years at a 3.5M cap hit!

My Ride
    Quattro A4 Avant 1.8T 5MT

Originally posted by Mibz
    A team with a game plan and potential? A team packed with young talent? A team with few existing holes?
    a game plan? they spent to the salary cap and still somehow managed to be the worst team in the league and got themselves their first of 3 consecutive #1 overall picks - if failing miserably is a game plan then they are master tacticians.

And "a team with few existing holes"? they have no defence, Shultz may help them out, but he has yet to play a single shift of professional hockey, let alone NHL - there are bound to be some growing pains there.

Edmonton is a complete joke and I'm tired of everyone saying that Calgary needs to follow Edmontons model - they fluked into the position they are in and it has still not accomplished a single thing, people need to stop acting like they've already won a cup over the next few years. they are still a terrible team with a few good pieces. and I believe most of those pieces will bolt from Edm the second they have the opportunity to.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast