Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2012-2013 Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 85 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2012-2013 Edition

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2012-2013 Edition

Since the playoffs are over, may as well start a new thread.

This news sort of came out of nowhere. Gelinas back with the Flames, but as assistant coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398379

GELINAS BACK IN CALGARY AS FLAMES' ASSISTANT COACH

CALGARY -- Former Calgary Flames forward Martin Gelinas is back with the team as an assistant coach.

Gelinas will join new head coach Bob Hartley, assistant coach Jacques Cloutier and goaltending coal Clint Malarchuk for the 2012-13 season.

He was director of player development for the Nashville Predators for the past three seasons.

Gelinas played 20 seasons in the NHL for the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Predators and Flames. He won a Stanley Cup with the Oilers in 1990.

He spent two seasons with the Flames from 2002 to 2004. During Calgary's run to the Stanley Cup final in 2004, Gelinas scored three goals that clinched a playoff series win, including two in overtime.

He almost scored another go-ahead goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final versus the Tampa Bay Lightning. With Calgary leading the series 3-2, Gelinas appeared to deflect the puck over the goal-line, but no goal was awarded.

Hopefully him and Bob ignite the flames. Now just waiting for some good July 1st action from Feaster!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have great faith in Bob, and high hopes.

Things I hope to see this July 1st...

Kipper gets traded, in return we get a decent 1st rounder, and a SOLID left winger.

Irving brought up, and gets a ton of experience between the pipes.

Sven being brought up, and having Iggy mentor the crap out of him.

Get rid of JBo. I don't care how, give him away, buy out his contract, whatever, just get rid of him.

Bring in a solid couple young defence that are powerful in the corners and can grind, and know how to stay in shooting lanes.

Stop with trying to spring Iggy all the time with him cherry picking the offensive blue line all the time.

I think the above would be a great start to rebuilding the Flames, and get us on the right track.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikers
    I have great faith in Bob, and high hopes.

Things I hope to see this July 1st...

Kipper gets traded, in return we get a decent 1st rounder, and a SOLID left winger.

Irving brought up, and gets a ton of experience between the pipes.

Sven being brought up, and having Iggy mentor the crap out of him.

Get rid of JBo. I don't care how, give him away, buy out his contract, whatever, just get rid of him.

Bring in a solid couple young defence that are powerful in the corners and can grind, and know how to stay in shooting lanes.

Stop with trying to spring Iggy all the time with him cherry picking the offensive blue line all the time.

I think the above would be a great start to rebuilding the Flames, and get us on the right track.
    No team would give up a first rounder for Kipper.

That said, getting rid of Kipper or Iginla along with a few million more in cap space will be critical for rebuilding. They will need to free up at LEAST $10 million in cap space to be able to sign good young talent.

As it stand right now, signing Sven puts them $1 million over cap (assuming everyone else was signed for the same money they were getting last year).

^

you don't think someone would give up a first rounder for kipper assuming he signed a contract extension agreement?

He is still one of the best goalies in the league

Originally posted by colinxx235
    ^

you don't think someone would give up a first rounder for kipper assuming he signed a contract extension agreement?

He is still one of the best goalies in the league
    He also turns 36 at the beginning of the season.

How many teams are looking for a high priced goalie that might last 2-3 years and have a first round pick to burn?

Originally posted by sputnik

How many teams are looking for a high priced goalie that might last 2-3 years and have a first round pick to burn?
    Tampa has 2, 1st round picks. #10 and #19(From Detroit) and are in need of a good goalie

My Ride
    TRD Pro

As it stand right now, signing Sven puts them $1 million over cap (assuming everyone else was signed for the same money they were getting last year).
    Very silly assumption. Especially when there are 9 players that are either UFA or RFA. A conservative guess would be half retained, half let go. Plus there is no cap set for next year...

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Very silly assumption. Especially when there are 9 players that are either UFA or RFA. A conservative guess would be half retained, half let go. Plus there is no cap set for next year...
    Just because you let go of players doesn't mean you don't have to replace them. Who are the Flames going to sign once they dump Sarich, Moss, Joker and Backlund?

Additionally, the only reason there isn't a set cap for next year is because the CBA hasn't been signed and the cap is still TBD. Rest assured there will be a cap next year if there are skates on the ice.

My Ride
    NC1

Trade Iggy and Kipper where? and for what?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Just because you let go of players doesn't mean you don't have to replace them. Who are the Flames going to sign once they dump Sarich, Moss, Joker and Backlund?

Additionally, the only reason there isn't a set cap for next year is because the CBA hasn't been signed and the cap is still TBD. Rest assured there will be a cap next year if there are skates on the ice.
    Not saying there wont be a cap... but with the new CBA its near impossible to guess if its way higher, the same or way lower. Jokinen has basically been replaced.. I expect Backlund back around the same salary, Sarich and Hannan are basically gone (They were last year when the young guys were healthy) and Moss role can be filled by quite a few young guys.

My best guess is:
    Comeau: gone
    Kostop: gone
    Hannan: gone
    Sarich: gone
    Moss: gone
    Jokinen: gone

And most if not all would be replaced by cheaper players. Especially when looking at Sarich and Comeau. (~5.5 combined??)

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I fully expect Brodeur to retire this year, I think they would be very much in the hunt for luongo or kipper.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Marty's already stated he has no intentions of retiring this year and plans on playing for at least a couple more seasons.

Tampa has arguably the best young goalie in their system. Won the Calder cup with Norfolk playin absolutely lights out.

Bob and Martin are just new captains on the titanic.

I suspect a 9th-12th finish in the west for the flames.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Interesting Talk around Brent Sutter, and the Oilers wanting him....

If I was to bet on who’ll coach the Oilers next year, I’d say Krueger is 2-1 choice, Brent Sutter is 4-1 and Cooper, the best coach in the AHL, would be 10-1 because I’m not sure GM Steve Tambellini would step out of the box and go young with a guy who’s had no NHL experience. Cooper, 44, wouldn’t fit as an associate coach. If they were to hire him, they would have a more established NHL guy as his right-hand man. Krueger has never been an NHL head man, but he’s a world-ranked coach with his long standing with the Swiss national team. His plus is he knows the Oiler players better than anybody else. Sutter would be very good, too, but I’ve heard the Flames won’t grant permission to let the Oilers talk to him until his Flames contract runs out June 30.
    source
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Buddy of mine mentioned Jagr coming to Calgary. Only a rumor so far, and I hope it stays just that.

Originally posted by Freeskier
    Buddy of mine mentioned Jagr coming to Calgary. Only a rumor so far, and I hope it stays just that.
    If you look at our track record I wouldn't doubt it...we like signing washed up players and paying them like they are still top line guys.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

live coverage of the draft. Flames are drafting 14th.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Flames just traded their 14th 1st round pick to buffalo for their 21st 1st round pick and 42nd 2nd round pick.

I want to facepalm this, but this years draft I just don't think is that deep, even at 14th. I really want to face palm this, but can't help but think it doesn't matter at all...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 1 of 85 1 2 11 ... LastLast