Quantcast
School me on MK5 and MK6 VW GTI's... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me on MK5 and MK6 VW GTI's...

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

Question School me on MK5 and MK6 VW GTI's...

So I'm thinking about picking up a 2008+ GTI in a month or two. Looking for opinions from people with experience with them.

What do I need to know/look out for?
    What's the best way to fix the brakes issue?
    How are owners fixing the handling/understeer?
    Reliability?
    Does anyone take their GTI to the track on occasion?

I realize every car has their issues, but I'm trying not to buy another Honda (my last 5 cars). Other option is a brand new Speed3 at 0% for 84 mths, pretty tempting, but would prefer to buy used.

If you wouldn't recommend the GTI, what would you recommend around $20k and only 2-4 years old w/ warranty on the used market? A used C30 T5 is appealing, too.

Thanks!

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i'll keep my post short, it's a good car for the price. never heard of a brake issue i'm at 94000km and haven't noticed anything. reliability has been the same as any car i own, some people will hate on vw but i've spent about 1000 on maintance out side oil changes. i don't track mine..yet i'm afraid of wear and tear from tracking. the only other car i want in the price range would be a 370z but it's closer to 30k

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

The brakes issue I'm asking about is weak brakes. The car seems to have a problem with lengthy braking distances and brakes that give up under any kind of hard driving quickly. I've heard new brake fluid and better pads can help, is it that easy?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I tracked my stock MKV GTI at race city, and never had a problem with brakes. It was one of the few cars I could drive balls out lap after lap without any issues. The DSG transmission is awesome at the track too, and the handling... aside from the RSX's, ITRs and purpose build track cars, it was one of the best FWD cars I've driven on the roadcourse. No understeer on entry if you trail brake, and no understeer powering out of corners.

Even though I sold my GTI after 2 years, I bought the GTI along with 2 others who still have theirs. Zero problems, with the exception of the DSG recall, which is a free fix.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i think the dsg has a 10 year warranty. it looks like you looking at 2008 and up which is good as it has the tsi engine instead of the fsi. it's supposed to be better as it clears up some issues with that the fsi has.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I've had my '10 GTi for 2.5 years and have had 0 problems. I haven't tracked the car yet nor do I plan on it. However I do aggressively drive in the city and back roads (love highway 1A between Banff & Lake Lousie).

I chipped it and put a CAI within the first 1500k's, I'm over 44,000k's to date.

I personally much prefer the look, especially the interior of the MK VI. You might be hard pressed to find one for $20 grand.

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by rage2
    I tracked my stock MKV GTI at race city, and never had a problem with brakes. It was one of the few cars I could drive balls out lap after lap without any issues. The DSG transmission is awesome at the track too, and the handling... aside from the RSX's, ITRs and purpose build track cars, it was one of the best FWD cars I've driven on the roadcourse. No understeer on entry if you trail brake, and no understeer powering out of corners.

Even though I sold my GTI after 2 years, I bought the GTI along with 2 others who still have theirs. Zero problems, with the exception of the DSG recall, which is a free fix.
    Will attest to this statement. Tracked the car balls out for a full lapping day when it was 25+ out and the car was amazing. I did upgrade the pads and rotors to hawk hps and some ebc slotted rotors.

The DSG was fun as hell too, and having a temp gauge and monitoring it showed that this car keeps its cool even under pressure.

Overall great car and no problems, just make sure you pick one up with an FSI motor over the TSI to get some updated stuff such as timing chain, easy access oil filter and PCV valve fix.

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

^ Isn't the TSI the new updated engine?

Interesting to see you guys saying the brakes are good, and same with the handling. Maybe the problem is with the MK6's? I've seen it mentioned in several reviews, brakes going completely to the floor after only a lap or two. Same reviews mentioned horrible understeer. Now I'm confused haha.

I'm definitely looking at a DSG car, and would prefer a MK6 for improved looks and interior but they're more like high $20's. Where I can prob get a low mileage 2008.5 w/ TSI for around $20k.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

I think they're thinking of the TSI (TSI has a timing chain, FSI has a timing belt).

VW Vortex has a TSI FAQ.

edit:
    Some major differences from the FSI to TSI include:
    -- chain timing vs belt as seen in the FSI
    -- different fuel/engine management system
    -- components in the intake system (as defined above)
    -- oil filter and oil dipstick relocated
    -- improved PCV system (proved to be problematic in the FSI)
    -- compression ratio lowered to 9.6:1
    -- more balanced cam shafts in the center of the block on both sides
    -- down pipe
    -- better emissions (by U.S. standards and regulation)
    -- more 02 sensors on exhaust system
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 06-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

Has anyone driven both the MK5 and MK6 cars? I'm wondering if there's much difference in the electronically assisted steering -- does the MK6's steering feel "numb"? Also, how is the e-diff -- does it eat through brake pads like crazy?

Almost forgot: how has the dealer experience been? I'm in Edmonton mind you so it may be different here, but I've heard a lot of reports of VW not honoring warranty and/or just generally being a huge PITA to deal with. Do they supply loaner cars when your car is in for warranty/service? Honda always did on my Si, which was definitely nice.
    Last edited by mslbebiz; 06-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.

My Ride
    Nissans and a Subaru

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

Anyone? Dealer experiences, especially with warranty work? How do the MK5's and 6's (besids the obvious exterior and interior differences) compare for those that have driven both?

Soundaktor appears easy enough to disconnect.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i havnt driven both but i'd expect them to be the same, all they did was refresh the look of the car they didn't do much if anything to the driving dynamics.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I owned an 08 and have driven the new version. New car drives better. Its suspension is 15mm or so lower. I'd definatelly go for the newer version if you can afford it. They cleaned up the exterior and interior.

My Ride
    Horse

have a 2006 jetta tdi.

As for warranty last august (well out of warranty) they did my 2 fornt fenders for the rust protection and never said a word about it.

Carl at 5th ave autohaus was awesome to deal with, I went in and he ahd them wash the car, he took pictures, booked my appointment with the body shop and i was out in 30 minutes.

While it was in for the fenders they fully detailed it, did anything that was open as a TSB/recall on the car.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by mslbebiz
    ^ Isn't the TSI the new updated engine?

Interesting to see you guys saying the brakes are good, and same with the handling. Maybe the problem is with the MK6's? I've seen it mentioned in several reviews, brakes going completely to the floor after only a lap or two. Same reviews mentioned horrible understeer. Now I'm confused haha.

I'm definitely looking at a DSG car, and would prefer a MK6 for improved looks and interior but they're more like high $20's. Where I can prob get a low mileage 2008.5 w/ TSI for around $20k.
    Yes my bad typed them out wrong. TSI over FSI is what I meant!

Originally posted by toastgremlin
    I think they're thinking of the TSI (TSI has a timing chain, FSI has a timing belt).

VW Vortex has a TSI FAQ.

edit:
    Correct!

Originally posted by mslbebiz
    Has anyone driven both the MK5 and MK6 cars? I'm wondering if there's much difference in the electronically assisted steering -- does the MK6's steering feel "numb"? Also, how is the e-diff -- does it eat through brake pads like crazy?
    Drove the mk6, liked the mk5 better. New one feels bulky, you don't feel the turbo or anything else for that matter. Maybe it was because my mk5 was on coils but the driver feeling was much greater compared to the mk6.

My Ride
    370Z Roadster

Drove the mk6, liked the mk5 better. New one feels bulky, you don't feel the turbo or anything else for that matter. Maybe it was because my mk5 was on coils but the driver feeling was much greater compared to the mk6.
    Maybe this is what the reviews have been alluding to but not outright saying.

Are there any definite issues to look out for before buying one of these cars? I'm thinking certified from VW with extended warranty is the way to go. Still uneasy about going VW coming from Hondas.

Speaking of, would you recommend this over a 2005+ RSX Type S? I can't help being drawn to another Honda haha. What I really want is an S2000 and I just got the go-ahead from my wife, but this will be my only year-round car. I know winter driving the S2K is doable, but enjoyable, that's likely a whole other thing.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

From what I've heard from a buddy that works at a vw tuning shop, stay the HELL away from the FSI engines, unless you like buying a liter of oil between oil changes. Some of the engines have awful oil consumption issues, some are fine, just depends on your luck. Apparently the surface hardening process on the camshafts was incorrect as well which causes excessive wear on the cams and cam followers.

TSI engine's are beasts though, go '09+ if you can afford it. I've ridden in a k04'd mk6 and the thing hauled ass.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

I have a 2012 MK6 GTI and I love it. I have driven pretty much every car in this segment/price range and I am very very impressed with the GTI.

I understand the brake debate, it seems like they should be more responsive. It does seem to me (compared to other cars) that you have to put the brake pedal down a bit more than in other cars. This doesn't mean the brakes are weak, it just seems they should grab a little harder a little earlier.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Originally posted by wardpr68
    I understand the brake debate, it seems like they should be more responsive. It does seem to me (compared to other cars) that you have to put the brake pedal down a bit more than in other cars. This doesn't mean the brakes are weak, it just seems they should grab a little harder a little earlier.

I feel the opposite, I think the brakes do a great job and grab early enough for my liking, but then I'm coming from a toyota that drives like a spaceship so anything is better.

In contrast for me, I test drove the GTI back in 2008 and hated it, went with another car instead.
    Fast forward to the 2011 / 2012 that I test drove / own, completely different car IMO, the new MK6's are hands down much better. It was the bench mark to beat when I went out driving other models.
    Interior is not that much different but i cannot stand the old exterior..... again my $0.02