Quantcast
License Address - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: License Address

Default License Address

Hey Guys and girls,

I would like to get some confirmation but if someone were to move from one address to another address, do they need to immediately change their driver's license (re-issue a new one)? Can the individual wait till the renewal time to change the address?

With respect to registration for the vehicle, same question applies. Could an individual wait for the renewal the following year or must he or she do this as soon as possible? Just curious as it could potentially save an individual 160 bucks. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

Thanks Beyond.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

iirc, you have the same 14 day grace period to change the addresses over to the new one.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I got pulled over once with new address on registration and old address on license. He told me I had to change it right away but Cops aren't the best source of that kind of info. He gave me a speeding ticket but not a "Didn't update his shit" ticket so I imagine you can get away with it as long as you're not a giant douche.

You have 14 days to change your license after you move. Also you can get a ticket if your car registration address and license address do not match.

I was pulled over with both of these things but got a warning for both instead of getting tickets.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

It's one of those things that you'll probably get away with as long as you're not being a douche. Depending on what it is you got pulled over for in the first place too.

Here's my question though, do you have to pay for a new license and registration, or can you simply get it re-issued with new info?

I'd guess you have to pay for both but you definitely have to pay for the license.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't think you have to pay for renewal but you have to pay for admin. If your registration is expiring soon, might as well renew it too.

Wow thanks,

Fast and good information (guys?). Part 2 to the question, is 80 dollars for the license amendment and another 80 dollars for registration address change is this a generic cost? Will this vary much from registry to registry?

My Ride
    FB6

Technically if your registration and license shows the same address you would have no issues.

Brian, I'm assuming both your registration and license still show your parents address since you just moved out. If you get any ticekts in the mail, it would just go there, so it wouldnt be a problem either.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1692.cfm

75 is for renewal. You pay some for new DL. Sounds like there is no fee for updating registration other than admin/service fee at the registry.

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

As long as all your papers match.... don't bother till renewal.

I have had the wrong address on my registration and license for over a year. No issues.

I just paid ~$23 to have my license re-classed. I assume it's the same for updating address.

Originally posted by wardpr68
    As long as all your papers match.... don't bother till renewal.

I have had the wrong address on my registration and license for over a year. No issues.
    Won't your renewal letters go to your old address?

Unless it's your parent's house it might be a good idea to change your address...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by ipeefreely

Won't your renewal letters go to your old address?

Unless it's your parent's house it might be a good idea to change your address...
    I should hope that most people in Alberta will remember when their renewal is . The system here is pretty much idiot proof.

Originally posted by johnboy27

I should hope that most people in Alberta will remember when their renewal is . The system here is pretty much idiot proof.
    There's a difference between having the correct answer when asked what your renewal month is and constantly being aware of it.

I had the exact mentioned situation. Renewals were going to my old house. I got pulled over in February because my January registration had expired. Cop asked if I knew why he pulled me over, I genuinely had no idea, he said my plate was expired. I ran the mental calculation of "What fucking month is it? What fucking month does my shit expire? What fucking month is it? Is this fucking month after that fucking month?".

The result was "Fuck"

But he let me go when I promised to renew it right away. And I did, haha.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just a note on this, the car registry renewal is sent to your address on file....I was holding out on updating my address as well.....and the renewal notice went to my old address (thought I changed everything over!) and didn't even think about it....$200 bucks later is what it cost me to pull the car out of the impount once someone ratted on my car being unregistered parked on a public street in front of my house.

Lesson learned

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

An officer shit on me in the past for this, but now I just lie. I have my mothers place on my address and reg, so it isn't like if they are sending ticket and stuff they are going to go to a place I have no connwction with.