Quantcast
GDL DUIs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GDL DUIs?

My Ride
    05 Civic

Default GDL DUIs?

I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything. Really hoping that traffic cop (or any officer on these forums) chimes in on this one.

I know that there is a 0 tolerance for any alcohol while on your GDL, but I am curious how it is enforced. Say you blow between 0.001 and 0.05, will you be charged the same as someone with a normal class 5 blew > 0.08?

I am now 22, have had my GDL since 17, and have just not seen the need to go get my regular class five. I am sure there will be many on here who will just ignore the original question and tell me to go take the test, but its just not high up on my priorities, and doesn't answer the original question.

The reason I ask, is because I am curious what would happen if I get pulled over after having a beer at dinner or something. Is it up to the officers discretion? Automatic DUI and license taken away?

Or people might think you spent more time typing that post than googling

Starting July 1, 2012
    For new (GDL) drivers with blood alcohol over .00
    ĄGDL driver found with any blood alcohol - 30-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle seizure

https://www.transportation.alberta.c...reddriving.htm

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by colinxx235

Starting July 1, 2012
    ĄGDL driver found with any blood alcohol - 30-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle seizure

I had better go take that test soon!

My Ride
    05 Civic

Starting July 1, 2012

Doh!

I am more interested in the view from a police officer though, because I am curious if it is enforced as strictly as it is stated.

Because my thinking is what harm is someone doing, who has been driving for 5+ years with a BAC of 0.01? Of course, this means nothing in the eyes of the law itself.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by -relk-

Doh!

I am more interested in the view from a police officer though, because I am curious if it is enforced as strictly as it is stated.

Because my thinking is what harm is someone doing, who has been driving for 5+ years with a BAC of 0.01? Of course, this means nothing in the eyes of the law itself.
    Anything alcohol related is strictly enforced, there is zero "wiggle room".

If you get pulled over then it means you were likely doing something wrong and they're also likely to nail you on whatever they can.

One officer's opinion of how strictly they enforce it doesn't say a damn thing about how strictly other members of the force do.

Default Re: GDL DUIs?

I did a search for this, but couldnt find anything. Really hoping that traffic cop (or any officer on these forums) chimes in on this one.

I know that there is a 0 tolerance for any alcohol while on your GDL, but I am curious how it is enforced. Say you blow between 0.001 and 0.05, will you be charged the same as someone with a normal class 5 blew > 0.08?

I am now 22, have had my GDL since 17, and have just not seen the need to go get my regular class five. I am sure there will be many on here who will just ignore the original question and tell me to go take the test, but its just not high up on my priorities, and doesn't answer the original question.

The reason I ask, is because I am curious what would happen if I get pulled over after having a beer at dinner or something. Is it up to the officers discretion? Automatic DUI and license taken away?
    If you have one beer, and you are well past drinking it you will have nothing to worry about because you will have not BAC. Anything in the warn range, it will register on the roadside (which you are obligated to take upon demand), and you will be suspended. Period. The province does not give us discretion, they tell us we will do it. Even if they didn't, I still would - otherwise there is little responsibility being taught to that individual.

As far as DUI, being a GDL doesn't change the criminal limit.
    You would have to be pretty pickled in which case a GDL license suspension would be the least of your worries.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by schocker

I had better go take that test soon!

Well I bet the officer would laugh at someone your age driving a volvo and give you a free pass anyways

My Ride
    Grimace

Well I bet the officer would laugh at someone your age driving a volvo and give you a free pass anyways
    So much hate on the volvo colin, so much hate
    I will be replacing it very soon once I can find the car I would like within my requirements

I drove though at least 2 checkstops when I had my GDL still (about 20 or 21) and I told the officer I have had 1 or 2 drinks and they didnt seem to care

Not sure if at checkstops they are looking for strictly drunk people?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I drove though at least 2 checkstops when I had my GDL still (about 20 or 21) and I told the officer I have had 1 or 2 drinks and they didnt seem to care

Not sure if at checkstops they are looking for strictly drunk people?
    they must not have seen the GDL or something, a friend of mine said he had 2 beers with a dinner and got suspended.

I got mine suspended twice for the zero tolerance lol it's like officer phil said, it's not up to the officer, both times the cops even said to me they were sorry but they had to suspend me because i did a breathalyzer and it showed something. They didn't think i was intoxicated or anything, but they were obligated to do it

oh well, it was my own fault, i got rid of GDL a while back now, thank god lol...

Originally posted by schocker

So much hate on the volvo colin, so much hate
    I will be replacing it very soon once I can find the car I would like within my requirements

Whos hating grandpa matt? Jealous of your hiding from cops/lowkeyness

all the bitches love volvos too I hear

Originally posted by DeeK

Anything alcohol related is strictly enforced, there is zero "wiggle room".
    Sure about that one?

I've been pulled over at 3 check stops, every time I blew over 0 but underneath 0.08 (or 0.05 for that matter) and every time I've been let go.

It's not like I'm pulling up to these places sluring my words and being an idiot. I simply explain and say, "Sir with all do respect my friends that are beside me, they are drunk as hell. I opt'd to DD tonight just for them because I love them so much, but do you know what else I love? Beer. Beer tastes good. I know I'm 23 and should be well off the GDL, but honestly in my opinion, it's one huge cash grab. I know it, you know it. But I wanted at least one drink to sip on. I know this is against what is stated for GDL rules, but I feel I have brought a very responsible and reasonable opinion to the table. Your decision now is of your making."

You would be surprised what a little calm and reasonable talking goes with an officer. Even the hardest of guys (from what I could gander) have been lenient on me.

But maybe it's cause I'm white who knows.

My Ride
    Grimace

Whos hating grandpa matt? Jealous of your hiding from cops/lowkeyness

all the bitches love volvos too I hear
    Oh at work they made fun of me asking why my jacket didn't elbow patches profressor matt. No tickets since the G35 though
    I wouldn't know
    Soon it will be gone though, something faster, newer, nicer and not red.

I never chance it though with my GDL though but have been on it forever, don't want to ruin my low low insurance now, my demerits are almost also gone too!
    Last edited by schocker; 06-21-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

they must not have seen the GDL or something, a friend of mine said he had 2 beers with a dinner and got suspended.

I got mine suspended twice for the zero tolerance lol it's like officer phil said, it's not up to the officer, both times the cops even said to me they were sorry but they had to suspend me because i did a breathalyzer and it showed something. They didn't think i was intoxicated or anything, but they were obligated to do it

oh well, it was my own fault, i got rid of GDL a while back now, thank god lol...
    They didnt make me blow.. But took my license when I pulled into the stop so I would only assume they saw the big GDL label. I didn't tell them I was a GDL obviously.

And yes I was on a GDL..

Default Re: GDL DUIs?

Is there not some sort of time limit on how long you can have your GDL?

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Re: Re: GDL DUIs?

Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan

Is there not some sort of time limit on how long you can have your GDL?
    You can have it forever, just no alcohol and less demerits iirc

My Ride
    05 Civic

Default Re: Re: GDL DUIs?

Originally posted by phil98z24

If you have one beer, and you are well past drinking it you will have nothing to worry about because you will have not BAC. Anything in the warn range, it will register on the roadside (which you are obligated to take upon demand), and you will be suspended. Period. The province does not give us discretion, they tell us we will do it. Even if they didn't, I still would - otherwise there is little responsibility being taught to that individual.
    Thanks Phil. What kind of a readout does the roadside test give for 0.01 > 0.49? And how far is "well past drinking"? I have always been told that a good time limit is 1 hour per beer. Any truth to that?

Spoons' situation was pretty much spot on for the kind of experience I was looking for.

Another quick question, does a GDL suspension affect insurance?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Spoons is a fucking retard and I wouldn't take anything he says at face value.

Pulled over 3 different times, blows a BAC of over 0.00 on a GDL, tries to claim he is the designated driver and gets let go? Full of shit or got the 3 laziest and dumbest cops on the force, considering any alcohol on GDL is automatic suspension.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    V8s

In the time that's elapsed since you've started this thread, you could have completed your GDL test.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast