Quantcast
Comfortable salary - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable salary

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Not long ago, if you were to ask me if I found my salary comfortable, I'd probably tell you no. But that's because I was ridiculous with my money. For example, my entire extra expenses one month, meaning stuff that I bought that I in absolutely no way needed, worked out to about the same amount I owed on my credit card. Not smart. Calculating that was an eye opener.
    Juvenile mindset, that's all. "I need more money to spend" rather than "I need to spend less money"

Like people said, it's all dependent on lifestyle and state of mind. I could be comfortable on 30k, and I have been.
    Last edited by btimbit; 07-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

20% on the condo and 45% on the car, I have traveled to a lot of places, I have worked two jobs since highschool, my two years at SAIT were paid for which saved me $12000. I don't overspend, I don't buy stuff I really don't need, I have a few nice things like a car, ATV and big TV, but I rarely buy much. I get enough enjoyment seeing my friends and driving my car that I don't spend a lot on entertainment, I don't go partying or anything like that.

Really im trying to pay as much off my stuff now because I plan to attend university night classes in a few years and its going to make life a lot tougher.

We got such a similar mindset haha.

I worked all high School to pay for SAIT. Finished my 2 years at SAIT, got an amazing job, bought my car... Now im just sitting banking for a house in Calgary next year.

Cheers man!

My Ride
    240sx

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Money has never been the important part, it is the opportunity it gives you to do what you love; too bad most people don't see that fact.
    You just blew up my mind. I never saw it like that before

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The best times of my life were when I was 17 making $800/month. I hate money now and miss the olds days.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

^ Yeah, similar story here, though I would say it was more when I was single, making +100K a year and had three roommates paying the mortgage & household bills.

Those days are long gone. Now I'm just a wage slave, living what I feel to be a rather mediocre existence.

Wow... this thread has completely depressed me. Nice.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

For executives in Calgary, I'd say for salary only the low range would be in the $200k range. Its the perks and additional incentives where they "rank" in the $.

If you have a home and don't use the basement, having an income suite would be best to help with paying off your mortgage and utilities.

My Ride
    Hatred

Money has never been the important part, it is the opportunity it gives you to do what you love; too bad most people don't see that fact.
    You're as smart as you are handsome!
    -U

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    The best times of my life were when I was 17 making $800/month. I hate money now and miss the olds days.
    This is true for me also, when I was just out of high school I had more fun and made 1000 a month, but I always found things to do on a budget. I enjoyed the wealth of friendship and family not financial wealth.
    I guess you have to define wealth to some, since most believe it is being a millionaire! there are lots of wealthy people in the world that die with no one around them that cares, so having a career that makes big dollar usually means lots of hours away from the things that should mean the most. If you are a lucky one that has a good salary and has time for family and friends I would say that is the best wealth a person can hope for!

Just my thoughts.

[url]

My Ride
    NC1

You guys need to find some balance in your lives and not resorting to the extremes.

I had some fun times when I was 17 but it was a different kind of fun, your life will always change so learn to adapt.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Accord

I wouldn't be able to meet the bills and still eat with anything under 50K, so comfortable would have to be probably the 65-70k range, which as a new grad I'm not at yet.

I'd say about 80K

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Now this has been quoted twice.

I'm the one that started this thread, and we've seen the entire spectrum of answers but this has really struck a chord with me, maybe life changing.

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

I worked in an 'executive' type position for a couple years making bank but working around 100 hours a week. Honestly, I was miserable.

I left that and took a massive pay cut (down to 50k/year) at a different company in an unrelated industry to work regular 40 hour weeks. The first year of that was the happiest I've been in my life. I'll never give up happiness in my personal life for any amount of money. Well, any amount less than 250k/year!

That being said.. anything over 100k a year would be more than enough for me.
    Crystal

My Ride
    19 GLI

I thought I would throw this is in for my two cents as I thought it was a really interesting take on money.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

“Man.
    Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
    Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
    And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
    the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
    he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

this thread is depressing.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    19 GLI

Originally posted by calgary350z
    I thought I would throw this is in for my two cents as I thought it was a really interesting take on money.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

“Man.
    Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
    Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
    And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
    the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
    he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
    Lol just was reading this whole thread from the start and somebody else used the same quote before me.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Comfortable salary

Originally posted by supe
    What would YOU say is enough to say you're comfortable with your lifestyle. Obviously there are so many variables such as spouse, kids, size of house but can it be generalized?

The dragons den guys always throw out the 100k number as a salary for an executive, is that too low for Calgary standards? Maybe a bit high for regular joes?

I'm early in my career and don't exactly know what lifestyle I want yet, but with my own car paid and just bought a house I would say 90k is comfortable for me. Anything above would be a bonus.

Clearly beyond is filled with Calgary's finest with top level paid ballers so this could be a bit skewed but it may give the rest of us something to work towards.
    Marry a smart woman so she can help you, cause you clearly have no clue if you need to ask this question.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Re: Re: Comfortable salary

Originally posted by 89coupe

Marry a smart woman so she can help you, cause you clearly have no clue if you need to ask this question.
    OMG, 89coupe is back!

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

30k a month would be comfortable... but I don't know for how long, maybe a year or two and then I'd want more.

Hahaha I remember making a grand a week thinking I was living like a king! That was a long time ago now.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Jlude
    30k a month would be comfortable... but I don't know for how long, maybe a year or two and then I'd want more.

Hahaha I remember making a grand a week thinking I was living like a king! That was a long time ago now.

$30K/month is comfortable to you?

Holy wow. You are baller.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast