Quantcast
what did you do around the house today? - Page 78 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 78 of 156 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3119

Thread: what did you do around the house today?

My Ride
    V167

Daaaaaaamn thats nice!!

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you have any of the severe poisons that have likely been banned now, I've got an expert technique. We used a fairly concentrated Diazinon liquid but Malithion would likely work, too. Anything that smells so incredibly bad that you're certain it's damaging you for every instant you're smelling it is what you want.
    Straighten a coat hanger into an ~20" poker and tangle a small rag around the end of it. Wait until later dusk, dip that into the liquid cancer and go stab it into their nest (doesn't have to be in the access hole, but that won't hurt. Briskly GtFO of the area. Return in morning with shop vac for corpse handling and any other dying beasts. Empty shop vac where your neighbour's cat lives.
    Damn thing is too high for me to reach. Unfortunately no nest visible on the exterior of the home, they are building a mansion inside the damn soffit. I've called Orkin, 1 week wait. RIP. There is more activity everyday. I'm angry

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Built a 8’x6’ platform for the power rack I am getting delivered in 2 weeks:

Attachment 93157

3x 5/8 subfloor mdf sheets (2 layers)
    PL400, some screws
    2x 6x4’ rubber mats screwed on top
    Full rubber matts? Any reason why you didn't do a center plywood platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Full rubber matts? Any reason why you didn't do a center plywood platform?
    I considered that, but decided against it to avoid having to stain & seal the center plywood. Also wasn't so sure about how the grip would be with sealed plywood... figured rubber would be pretty grippy with any type of shoes. Either way I didn't glue the rubber mats (only glued the two layers of plywood together), so at least i can pull them up and switch to a plywood center later on if I really want to.

I ended up going with these mats:
    https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/P11UTD89...tdr724838.html

Pretty expensive and not that thick (only 3/8"), but the best part is that they don't smell at all. I actually went in planning to get the thick horse stall mats, but the sales guy at Fitness Depot convinced me not to get them cuz he has had a lot of people come back disappointed with the smell.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I considered that, but decided against it to avoid having to stain & seal the center plywood. Also wasn't so sure about how the grip would be with sealed plywood... figured rubber would be pretty grippy with any type of shoes. Either way I didn't glue the rubber mats (only glued the two layers of plywood together), so at least i can pull them up and switch to a plywood center later on if I really want to.

I ended up going with these mats:
    https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/P11UTD89...tdr724838.html

Pretty expensive and not that thick (only 3/8"), but the best part is that they don't smell at all. I actually went in planning to get the thick horse stall mats, but the sales guy at Fitness Depot convinced me not to get them cuz he has had a lot of people come back disappointed with the smell.
    I have awesome grip on mine. Two tricks I heard: sprinkle sand into the polyeurathane, or do a second coat while the first one is degassing (which is what I did), that way it's nice and grippy.
    I just wonder how sturdy it is for heavy squats/deadlifts/oly lifts.

Either way, it's great. I only made a 4x8 as a separate platform, and I'm considering making a second one, pushing them together, and putting my rack on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

OK. mostly done so I figured id group the whole damn Covid/funemployment project into one post. I had no master plan. it just evolved as I went.

I started out with a blank yard last summer full of weeds. Contracted someone to come in a plant some trees and lay some.

This was the deck I built last august. No steps, no lighting.

Decided the build some garden boxes in the spring as we had a slight uncomfortable feeling about food security so we figured we may as well start learning how to veggie garden. 2 boxes turned into 7. Also ended up building some for some neighbors. took 4 yards of garden mix to fill up.

As spring dragged on and the parks were closed we decided to build a multi use arbor that could be used as a hammock stand and I could also attach a kiddo swing to it. I also liked the elevation it added to the yard. The two man auger was a bitch to dig up the wet clay.

Chanced upon a lady ripping up her old flagstone patio. Negotiated a stellar price. Took several days in the rain to move it all, as my Rav could only hold so much, and one load with my neighbour for the pieces that were 250 lbs+ in his F150. 12 loads in all.

Then started to excavate the patio. Moved all of the old wash rock over under the columnar aspens.

Needed a break from moving rock so I decided to move a boulder! Installed this neat little basalt gurgler. The birds love it. Has a light at the top the illuminate the water coming out at night time.

Then we decided we wanted to cover our deck. Found a good deal on the yardistry gazebo that fit our deck, 11' x 13' from Homedepot. We didnt like the colour of the stain when I got it home so I spent a week sanding every single piece and then another week staining every single piece. All the brackets were beige, so I sanded those all down too a rattle canned them flat black to match the hardware on the arbor.

All inventoried:

Staining:

Started building the steps to my deck. Note to self, NEVER BUY HOMEDEPOT PREMADE RISERS. They are hot garbage.

After excavating the patio, we decided to also do a pathway to the side yard. 4" of compacted road crush and then 2" of sand. Time to start laying stone.

I still need to put rock screenings in the gaps and stain the deck but Im really happy with how its turned out.

1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Well done!
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Agreed, that's a lot of work to do in a year. Good job.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Stained the portion of fence we built... looks amazing but now the developer constructed and stained fence (which is a couple years old) looks haggard.

Also had to transplant our cheery tree to the front yard (guess they're super poisonous to dogs) so peep the new Maple tree twig we planted haha. Should be a solid tree in 20 years.

Name:  IMG_1787.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1782.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  101.0 KB

Replaced the washer door boot. Youtube videos all show people taking apart the front of the washer, turns out you can replace the boot without doing any of that. Took about 45 mins. $142 part. Hopefully I can keep the washer for another 10 years.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Very well done, cycosis. You sure did a lot with so little garage space. The yard looks inviting now.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Replaced the washer door boot. Youtube videos all show people taking apart the front of the washer, turns out you can replace the boot without doing any of that. Took about 45 mins. $142 part. Hopefully I can keep the washer for another 10 years.
    did that on my 2013 era LG washer about a year ago. Previous owners of the house did not take care of it at all and it was covered in black mold/sludge. I think it was $80 on amazon for the part and about an hour of time.

youtube DIY videos for the win, have saved so much money fixing/refurbishing appliances myself.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

did that on my 2013 era LG washer about a year ago. Previous owners of the house did not take care of it at all and it was covered in black mold/sludge. I think it was $80 on amazon for the part and about an hour of time.

youtube DIY videos for the win, have saved so much money fixing/refurbishing appliances myself.
    When we bought our house the door boot was gross on the washer.. Not only did our real estate agent get us the washer/dryer but he had the owner get the boot replaced for us

Yeah I fixed the dryer a couple of years ago - belt broke. Replaced the wheels at the same time. Wasn't even $100 in parts.

Washers and dryers are actually very straightforward, just gotta learn how to be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    When we bought our house the door boot was gross on the washer.. Not only did our real estate agent get us the washer/dryer but he had the owner get the boot replaced for us
    That's a good win, although i think most sellers who say "washer/dryer not included" with their listing don't actually mean it. They are fully expecting the buyer to ask for it as part of the offer and will give it up to make it seem like they are throwing a bone to the buyer instead of giving a further price reduction.

Just what my realtor told me anyways.

That's a good win, although i think most sellers who say "washer/dryer not included" with their listing don't actually mean it. They are fully expecting the buyer to ask for it as part of the offer and will give it up to make it seem like they are throwing a bone to the buyer instead of giving a further price reduction.

Just what my realtor told me anyways.
    That sort of thinking really backfired on the previous owner of our home almost 24 years ago. She wouldn't include the fridge, range or window coverings in the sale so we agreed. After everything was said and done then she wanted to sell us those things and we told her we weren't interested as we had bought new - man, was she ever pissed at us and she got even more pissed when she had to pay to get them all removed.

Crazy to think we just replaced that fridge we bought new in 1996 and the range is still going strong.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Yeah I fixed the dryer a couple of years ago - belt broke. Replaced the wheels at the same time. Wasn't even $100 in parts.

Washers and dryers are actually very straightforward, just gotta learn how to be handy.
    yeah, I've replaced the gasket on a washer and the drum on a dryer. Super easy.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

I have to replace a toilet, any opinions on sub $400 toilets that have replacement parts that aren’t proprietary/can’t be found in 5 years?

Ex.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ame...ite/1000736290

Keep in mind, will be renovating the bathroom in 2-3 years so it will be at least uninstalled again and can sanity check another model at that point
    Last edited by finboy; 08-30-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    I have to replace a toilet, any opinions on sub $400 toilets that have replacement parts that aren’t proprietary/can’t be found in 5 years?

Ex.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ame...ite/1000736290

Keep in mind, will be renovating the bathroom in 2-3 years so it will be at least uninstalled again and can sanity check another model at that point
    The Costco $100 toilet is the best toilet, period. It could be $700 and it would still be the best.
    Tall with a sensible bowl shape and glide seat drop. Plus, it can flush a rock the size of a baby's leg with the liquid-only button.
    Buy it immediately. Then return to buy more to replace the rest of your existing, shitty toilets.

Woke up this morning and noticed my main floor thermostat had a black screen. The fan had been making weird noises the past week, so I was expecting it to bite the dust at some point. Went into the utility room to take a look and sure enough, I had a really hot furnace with a fan that would not start up after turning on the manual run switch.

Luckily I went thru this exact same thing about a year ago with my upstairs furnace so I knew exactly what to do.

Popped out the entire blower assembly and took it down to Soper’s for them to give me a replacement motor. Luckily they had a direct replacement for my 1970 motor. $174 and about 4 hours of time end to end and I’m back in business!

Before:
    Name:  F0AEAC73-686C-45C8-AA25-6B31DBB43A61.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  48.6 KB

After:
    Name:  018A935F-8F1B-4B78-97F6-786E2226663C.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  46.9 KB

Page 78 of 156 FirstFirst ... 68 77 78 79 88 ... LastLast