Quantcast
what did you do around the house today? - Page 76 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 76 of 156 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3119

Thread: what did you do around the house today?

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Under $75 for a planter like that seems awfully cheap.
    I would imagine transporting 30 of them are more hassle than the cost of the barrels itself.
    Customer is bringing their own vehicle tomorrow morning. Shipping individual barrels or planters is stupid expensive due to their size and weight, we'll deliver locally for a fee - the farthest away will be Sundre and we charged more for delivery there.

All I know is moving 400+ barrels builds the muscles very quickly, they're stacked 3 high in the 53 foot trailers so one has to be careful getting them down when they weigh anywhere from 115-130 pounds - a barrel coming down from 6+ feet up can hurt someone quite a bit. I had one shift and come down on my back but I got lucky in how it came down and caught me.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Did you ever supply any barrels to Burgundy Oak? I think they were a barrel furniture store in Calgary, but looks like they closed and don't exist anymore.
    I think there is a place in a market for that, wish someone would step up and do something for that space knowing how potentially cheap barrels could be had for.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Did you ever supply any barrels to Burgundy Oak? I think they were a barrel furniture store in Calgary, but looks like they closed and don't exist anymore.
    I think there is a place in a market for that, wish someone would step up and do something for that space knowing how potentially cheap barrels could be had for.
    Hah, I won't comment on them as I don't have anything positive to say about them.

Again, it's a very niche market - my wife knows of people doing furniture as a side gig but none of them are doing it full time. I can fully appreciate the products people make out of wine barrels but it's not my thing. Hell, I'm relatively well set up to make things out of barrels but I really don't have the time or desire to do so.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    For the planters, do you do anything else to them other than just cutting the barrels in half? Specifically, do you sand and stain them and/or put any lip on the cut edge to keep the splines from splitting? I might be interested in picking a couple of them up from you.
    Off you're concerned about degradation, for a reference, these ones are 25'ish years old with no stain, and have always had soil and plants in them.

Name:  IMG_20200713_143418.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  89.4 KB

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Hah, I won't comment on them as I don't have anything positive to say about them.

Again, it's a very niche market - my wife knows of people doing furniture as a side gig but none of them are doing it full time. I can fully appreciate the products people make out of wine barrels but it's not my thing. Hell, I'm relatively well set up to make things out of barrels but I really don't have the time or desire to do so.
    On top of being a niche market no one seems to want to pay appropriate prices for furniture like this which is why so many custom DIY'ers do the "distressed pine" 2x4 stuff instead of hard woods or wine barrels etc. I've made a few things out of wine barrels and unless you're selling things that are made out of 1 stave and under $100 its pretty hard to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I sand the edges so as to remove any roughness, the staves will remain quite tight if moisture is a part of the equation - keep the soil inside fairly consistently moist or spray the outside once in a while.

We don't clean them up at all as people will pick out barrels or planters for a variety of reasons. Sanding will pretty much bring them back to an almost new condition, a power wash will clean them up quite nicely as well but there are people who want the darkest red staining.
    I should clarify, do you sand the outside of the barrels and/or stain them prior to selling? If not, I can do the same myself. Looking to place a few more unique planters around the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Off you're concerned about degradation, for a reference, these ones are 25'ish years old with no stain, and have always had soil and plants in them.

Name:  IMG_20200713_143418.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  89.4 KB
    Awesome, exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for the pic as reference. I think that totally sealed the deal for the Mrs in our decision making.

@speedog , I'll send you a PM about picking up a couple half barrels for planters.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Do these barrels float?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    So you gave your fence a toothbrush moustache?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Do these barrels float?
    I would think so.

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    I should clarify, do you sand the outside of the barrels and/or stain them prior to selling? If not, I can do the same myself. Looking to place a few more unique planters around the backyard.

Awesome, exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for the pic as reference. I think that totally sealed the deal for the Mrs in our decision making.

@speedog , I'll send you a PM about picking up a couple half barrels for planters.
    I don't do anything to the outside, I could but then we'd charge more. One person who buys from us cleans them up and resells them at almost 50% more than they buy them for us. I'd probably have to drink to much beer and that would hurt profit margins.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Bought a Coleman 425 dual burner stove off Kijiji for 45 bucks, found out the valve assemble was completely fucked. No biggie, took the tank off my Coleman 431 from 69, perfect fit. Been meaning to recycle the case for the 431, so finding a newer stove with a good case and a bad tank worked out well.

Not sure what to do with the older stove as the case is only kinda rusty and bent, grill is done. dunno, got a early 50's tank which I might refurb and install. Then strip it for paint and repaint. Just gotta find heat resistant forest green paint.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Whatever you do don't junk it. Colman stove parts are awesome. Hell I'd take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Name:  Door.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  72.0 KB

Got a new front door!
    Still have to sand and paint a bit, but very happy with the update. Next up I want to change out those pillars to either a treated wood or some sort of squared cover. Any ideas?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post

Got a new front door!
    Still have to sand and paint a bit, but very happy with the update. Next up I want to change out those pillars to either a treated wood or some sort of squared cover. Any ideas?
    I have a similar door/side window setup and badly need a new door as well as the frame is splitting/comprimised. How much did that set you back?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Got a new front door!
    Frame them in and clad them with some smartside or fake stone? Post sleeves are an option as well which are made with fake stone or just a plain finish.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I have a similar door/side window setup and badly need a new door as well as the frame is splitting/comprimised. How much did that set you back?
    It was $4,200 installed and I had to supply the handle and deadbolt. We had the option of a powdercoat type paint for an extra $400, but we are hoping to paint the house in the next year, so didnt want to pay for something we would paint over. We used Thermal Aluminum and glass, got another quote from Western Windows and they were very close in price, but ~4 weeks longer wait time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Frame them in and clad them with some smartside or fake stone? Post sleeves are an option as well which are made with fake stone or just a plain finish.
    Just a matter of finding someone to do this... chatted with one company that does commercial installations and they quoted 2k for frame and clad, but admitted that this wasnt an ideal use of their products based on price.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

It was $4,200 installed and I had to supply the handle and deadbolt. We had the option of a powdercoat type paint for an extra $400, but we are hoping to paint the house in the next year, so didnt want to pay for something we would paint over. We used Thermal Aluminum and glass, got another quote from Western Windows and they were very close in price, but ~4 weeks longer wait time.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a matter of finding someone to do this... chatted with one company that does commercial installations and they quoted 2k for frame and clad, but admitted that this wasnt an ideal use of their products based on price.
    Are doors typically that price? My lord....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

It was $4,200 installed and I had to supply the handle and deadbolt.
    Farging hell! I'm in the wrong business.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Are doors typically that price? My lord....
    Its the door, glass sidelight, complete frame and trim replacement. Not just hanging a simple door. It took 2 guys ~3.5-4 hours.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Part of my covid backyard projects. Been laying this patio/pathway for a solid couple weeks now. I get frustrated pretty easily due to rocks splitting/not fitting right so the pace is slower than Id like.

Last edited by cycosis; 07-16-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Page 76 of 156 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76 77 86 ... LastLast