Quantcast
what did you do around the house today? - Page 76 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1510

Thread: what did you do around the house today?

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Under $75 for a planter like that seems awfully cheap.
    I would imagine transporting 30 of them are more hassle than the cost of the barrels itself.
    Customer is bringing their own vehicle tomorrow morning. Shipping individual barrels or planters is stupid expensive due to their size and weight, we'll deliver locally for a fee - the farthest away will be Sundre and we charged more for delivery there.

All I know is moving 400+ barrels builds the muscles very quickly, they're stacked 3 high in the 53 foot trailers so one has to be careful getting them down when they weigh anywhere from 115-130 pounds - a barrel coming down from 6+ feet up can hurt someone quite a bit. I had one shift and come down on my back but I got lucky in how it came down and caught me.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Did you ever supply any barrels to Burgundy Oak? I think they were a barrel furniture store in Calgary, but looks like they closed and don't exist anymore.
    I think there is a place in a market for that, wish someone would step up and do something for that space knowing how potentially cheap barrels could be had for.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Did you ever supply any barrels to Burgundy Oak? I think they were a barrel furniture store in Calgary, but looks like they closed and don't exist anymore.
    I think there is a place in a market for that, wish someone would step up and do something for that space knowing how potentially cheap barrels could be had for.
    Hah, I won't comment on them as I don't have anything positive to say about them.

Again, it's a very niche market - my wife knows of people doing furniture as a side gig but none of them are doing it full time. I can fully appreciate the products people make out of wine barrels but it's not my thing. Hell, I'm relatively well set up to make things out of barrels but I really don't have the time or desire to do so.

My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    For the planters, do you do anything else to them other than just cutting the barrels in half? Specifically, do you sand and stain them and/or put any lip on the cut edge to keep the splines from splitting? I might be interested in picking a couple of them up from you.
    Off you're concerned about degradation, for a reference, these ones are 25'ish years old with no stain, and have always had soil and plants in them.

IMG_20200713_143418.jpg

My Ride
    Ford, Acura, Harley

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Hah, I won't comment on them as I don't have anything positive to say about them.

Again, it's a very niche market - my wife knows of people doing furniture as a side gig but none of them are doing it full time. I can fully appreciate the products people make out of wine barrels but it's not my thing. Hell, I'm relatively well set up to make things out of barrels but I really don't have the time or desire to do so.
    On top of being a niche market no one seems to want to pay appropriate prices for furniture like this which is why so many custom DIY'ers do the "distressed pine" 2x4 stuff instead of hard woods or wine barrels etc. I've made a few things out of wine barrels and unless you're selling things that are made out of 1 stave and under $100 its pretty hard to sell.
    Originally posted by rage2
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I sand the edges so as to remove any roughness, the staves will remain quite tight if moisture is a part of the equation - keep the soil inside fairly consistently moist or spray the outside once in a while.

We don't clean them up at all as people will pick out barrels or planters for a variety of reasons. Sanding will pretty much bring them back to an almost new condition, a power wash will clean them up quite nicely as well but there are people who want the darkest red staining.
    I should clarify, do you sand the outside of the barrels and/or stain them prior to selling? If not, I can do the same myself. Looking to place a few more unique planters around the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Off you're concerned about degradation, for a reference, these ones are 25'ish years old with no stain, and have always had soil and plants in them.

IMG_20200713_143418.jpg
    Awesome, exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for the pic as reference. I think that totally sealed the deal for the Mrs in our decision making.

@speedog , I'll send you a PM about picking up a couple half barrels for planters.

Do these barrels float?
    Buy my mom's Testhla and get a free Public Mobile referral code from ES. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412...-AWD?p=4884182
    Faster, smarter, and more fun to drive than a 2017 VW Golf R, a 2007 Porsche 987 Cayman Sport Chrono, 1976 triumph tr6 classic; 2017 Subaru Forester XT Limited, 2009 Black Acura TSX, 2002 Bordeaux Red Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG, 1993 Mazda Miata and 2007 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    So you gave your fence a toothbrush moustache?
    Buy my mom's Testhla and get a free Public Mobile referral code from ES. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412...-AWD?p=4884182
    Faster, smarter, and more fun to drive than a 2017 VW Golf R, a 2007 Porsche 987 Cayman Sport Chrono, 1976 triumph tr6 classic; 2017 Subaru Forester XT Limited, 2009 Black Acura TSX, 2002 Bordeaux Red Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG, 1993 Mazda Miata and 2007 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Do these barrels float?
    I would think so.

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    I should clarify, do you sand the outside of the barrels and/or stain them prior to selling? If not, I can do the same myself. Looking to place a few more unique planters around the backyard.

Awesome, exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for the pic as reference. I think that totally sealed the deal for the Mrs in our decision making.

@speedog , I'll send you a PM about picking up a couple half barrels for planters.
    I don't do anything to the outside, I could but then we'd charge more. One person who buys from us cleans them up and resells them at almost 50% more than they buy them for us. I'd probably have to drink to much beer and that would hurt profit margins.

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76