Quantcast
Garage Light Upgrading - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Garage Light Upgrading

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Garage Light Upgrading

    So I am in need of upgrading my lights in the shop. When they were installed they just used 4 normal bulbs and unfortunately they have now all burnt out and I want to upgrade to LED lightning.

    The issue I have though is my ceiling in the shop in this area is 20 feet or more so it means I would either need to rent a man lift or scaffolding to work on stuff.

    The span across from the loft floor (where I am standing) to the far wall is about 16 feet so I was thinking of using an extension ladder to span this to do work in this area.

    I'm not fully aware of what "rules" there are about ladders being used to span areas like this so I figured someone around here may know.

    Picture for reference..


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,056
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Ladders are not designed to be used horizontally. They are weaker than you think.
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Hard no.
    *is engineering advise


    Why not buy a super tall ladder? A couple members did just last week, I think. They were on sale at CT.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 03-27-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: To brings the joys to MurboTedic

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,056
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    A-frame ladder is good choice.
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    991
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Ladder falls are no joke. Agree with buying a proper height ladder or just hire someone to install the new led fixtures using the existing light junction boxes. Would probably not cost that much. Definitely not worth risking your life/future health
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hard no.
    *is engineering advise

    Why not buy a super tall ladder? A couple members did just last week, I think. They were on sale at CT.
    Just measured and peak is about 15 feet which makes a tall stretch for a ladder.

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ladder falls are no joke. Agree with buying a proper height ladder or just hire someone to install the new led fixtures using the existing light junction boxes. Would probably not cost that much. Definitely not worth risking your life/future health
    I have spent many hours in ladders and scaffolding and take it seriously. I need a way that I can work up there when ever I need too and not call someone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,043
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have spent many hours in ladders and scaffolding and take it seriously. I need a way that I can work up there when ever I need too and not call someone.
    Didn't know these things were so expensive, but probably what you're looking for
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fea...pid=1000510329
    Last edited by jwslam; 03-27-2021 at 04:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    991
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    I have spent many hours in ladders and scaffolding and take it seriously. I need a way that I can work up there when ever I need too and not call someone.
    Fair enough. I would do it myself as well.

    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3015p.html#srp
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,420
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    You can build something sturdy out of lumber if you are inclined, or rent scaffolding.

    Also, I was going to LEDfy my garage but then I saw these click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version and I just screwed in daylight white, LEDs and my garage life improved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,056
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I swear I had several posts about garage lighting...
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,534
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I swear I had several posts about garage lighting...
    Wasn't a MEGA THREAD, no care.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I swear I had several posts about garage lighting...
    This was more about finding a method to upgrade vs what to buy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough. I would do it myself as well.

    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3015p.html#srp
    That is only 11 feet in the A frame setup.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can build something sturdy out of lumber if you are inclined, or rent scaffolding.

    Also, I was going to LEDfy my garage but then I saw these click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version and I just screwed in daylight white, LEDs and my garage life improved.
    Used those before and hate them. Already have the lights just need to hang them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Post 16508:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/503...atest-purchase

    @vengie just, just bought a 25-footer.
    I knew I wasn't crazy!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Post 16508:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/503...atest-purchase

    @vengie just, just bought a 25-footer.
    I knew I wasn't crazy!
    Yah only 11 feet for the A frame setup which you will never stand at the very top which still leaves a lot of height left. If you say 8 feet safely that is still 7 feet left.

    I don't think there is any safe way other than scaffolding, so I will find something used and store it as there will be plenty of work up there.

    Just thought there would be something quick.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Rent a 16' a frame from Home Depot.

    I did that to paint my previous house with 18' ceilings

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,258
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I feel like I know this garage

    Doors would have gone in with a little giant clone. Highly recommended, they're great for oddball access issues.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like I know this garage

    Doors would have gone in with a little giant clone. Highly recommended, they're great for oddball access issues.
    Both doors need work too lol. And the one side I am probably going to turn into a high lift variation.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    991
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Anybody have some input on lighting up a 19x22' garage? I bought 6 5000lmn led 4' lights from princess auto. I am debating installing 4 or 6. 4 is easiest as I just put boxes in the 4 quadrants and call it a day. Debating adding the extra 2 in between but might be overkill. Thoughts?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,056
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Install 4 and then see how you like it?
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Airdrie
    My Ride
    '05 Cororra, '16 Rex, '21 F-150
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody have some input on lighting up a 19x22' garage? I bought 6 5000lmn led 4' lights from princess auto. I am debating installing 4 or 6. 4 is easiest as I just put boxes in the 4 quadrants and call it a day. Debating adding the extra 2 in between but might be overkill. Thoughts?
    Comes in a green box right? I put 4 of them into my 24x24 and it lights it up pretty damn good. I just put a receptacle above each of the parking spots and had the lights about 5ft(cord length) away from the box.
    Will probably add another one above my work area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM
  2. Head-Light Upgrading

    By GT4rally in forum Subaru Owners Club
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 01-11-2006, 03:39 AM
  3. upgrading my PC

    By benyl in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 09-16-2003, 11:18 AM
  5. Anyone upgrading there T25???

    By Madmax in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 11-03-2002, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •