Quantcast
what did you do around the house today? - Page 117 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 117 of 157 FirstFirst ... 107 116 117 118 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 3129

Thread: what did you do around the house today?

Around $1000 including stump grinding, but leaving logs for me to deal with. I’m considering renting a log splitter and making firewood, but I might get lazy and just throw them up on kijiji for free or something.

I had other quotes for $2500.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It was a productive weekend.
    1) Removed literally about 1000 dandelions from my lawns. 4 plastic shopping bags full. Does anyone else get weirded out by these when they start multiplying? The base is a mess of tentacles with multiple eyes (buds) staring at you.
    2) Watched my wife pay almost 3g for some smoke and CO2 detectors after a MLM-style scammy presentation by a "friend" of hers. Seems like a good product - but overpriced by about 6-8X what it should be.
    3) Went to lots of garage sales (This was the weekend Chestermere gets together for yard sales). My son is the one who gets excited. But my wife, I snagged a basic wood shelving unit for free. Stained it and fixed it up to become shelving for our master bedroom closet which she was asking for.
    4) Repaired and re-installed one of my XFR's paddle shifters after I snapped it off by accident on Friday. oops. I didn't realize how much I use the paddles until one went missing.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Around $1000 including stump grinding, but leaving logs for me to deal with. I’m considering renting a log splitter and making firewood, but I might get lazy and just throw them up on kijiji for free or something.

I had other quotes for $2500.
    Where you in town? If you're getting rid of them, im sure the beyond camping crew would snag most of em..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Top tip for log splitters. If you are dealing with a huge old densely branched city spruce tree, get a 9 ton or large log splitter or it'll struggle. Yes beyond camping crew will help dispose of firewood for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I can always use a stock up on fire wood for my backyard firepit. Depending what part of town you're in @sabad66 , I'll pick up a few logs if you're offering. Doesn't even have to be split!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

I also have a large spruce in front of my house that I hate... Problem is I also hate having to chop down a perfectly healthy tree.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Took down the Xmas lights.
    #feelsgoodman
    ironically, yesterday was the day I decided they can stay until next year.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    ironically, yesterday was the day I decided they can stay until next year.
    On June 26th you're officially ahead of the game. Hang in there.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I also have a large spruce in front of my house that I hate... Problem is I also hate having to chop down a perfectly healthy tree.
    My old neighbour had a living tree cut down at his place and bucked into firewood, so he invited us over for a fire that weekend.
    He didn't understand why it wasn't burning and why he had to use so much newspaper to try and get it partially going.
    PhD in Biology, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My old neighbour had a living tree cut down at his place and bucked into firewood, so he invited us over for a fire that weekend.
    He didn't understand why it wasn't burning and why he had to use so much newspaper to try and get it partially going.
    PhD in Biology, though.
    When in doubt tiger torch that bitch into submission.

#patchlyfe

#twoyearseasoning

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    It was a productive weekend.

2) Watched my wife pay almost 3g for some smoke and CO2 detectors after a MLM-style scammy presentation by a "friend" of hers.
    3g? Wut?

She unvaxxed otherwise it would have been 5g.

@Kloubek was that from a company called Premier Health Enterprises or similar? If so these guys have been hassling my elderly parents for a while over the phone for a couple of weeks until I finally called them and told them to fuck off. They wanted to start with a “free” info kit or some bullshit. I figured it was some sort of MLM…
    Last edited by sabad66; 05-30-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    She unvaxxed otherwise it would have been 5g.
    Underrated comment

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    3g? Wut?
    Yup. And that's for "partial" protection. Their "full" package for our house was literally just shy of 10g.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    @Kloubek was that from a company called Premier Health Enterprises or similar? If so these guys have been hassling my elderly parents for a while over the phone for a couple of weeks until I finally called them and told them to fuck off. They wanted to start with a “free” info kit or some bullshit. I figured it was some sort of MLM…
    Not sure if that's the company or not, but the name of the company selling the product and the actual product (Omnishield) are different companies anyway. *I* could start up a company with a random name and peddle this shit. I'm sure it's the same product if nothing else, and they did indeed offer the emergency kit to entice her to agree to the presentation. The presentation read like a typical MLM with scare and emotional tactics; it was pretty sickening, really.

To be fair, it's a decent system. Few fire protection systems report to your phone when they go off, or have real-time battery and filter availability. They *claim* to have a 20 year battery in them, which is also rare. Most smoke alarms are of the ionization type, which don't respond well to smoldering or synthetic-fueled fires. She feels more comfortable having this system in place, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't too.

The closest thing available in retail stores is the Google Nest Protect, which sell for $150 a piece. Add in a couple heat sensors, water break and CO2 sensors, and a self-built system would have likely hit close to a grand anyway. At least they are giving us a fire ladder - which is something we really do need. Whatever. She decided to get this, and over a decade of marriage I have found trying to be the voice of logic and sanity only causes me to lose my own sanity, so I've learned not to bother. We have separate bank accounts, so this one is on her.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can spend more money on worse value, and if this is really important to your wife that's all you need to know.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    To be fair, it's a decent system. Few fire protection systems report to your phone when they go off, or have real-time battery and filter availability. They *claim* to have a 20 year battery in them, which is also rare. Most smoke alarms are of the ionization type, which don't respond well to smoldering or synthetic-fueled fires. She feels more comfortable having this system in place, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't too.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kid...5560?rrec=true

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You can spend more money on worse value, and if this is really important to your wife that's all you need to know.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I am fully aware of what is available out there. (I did some research afterwards to see how horrible of a value she actually got). There are many differences between this product and what we received, and frankly, I feel better with what we got. Just not comfortable with the price, but it's done and I really don't want to think about it anymore...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, don't overthink things you aren't going to change. I'm cheap as hell, but you have to let go of some things for the sake of your sanity and marriage.

Page 117 of 157 FirstFirst ... 107 116 117 118 127 ... LastLast