Quantcast
The future of Race City - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: The future of Race City

My Ride
    something green

Default The future of Race City

The old Race City site will go from speeding karts to green carts, after a committee picked that southeast spot Wednesday to host the citywide compost processor.

Calgary has seen early successes with its four-community trial of organic waste pickup, but doesn’t expect to bring the service to the rest of Calgary until 2016. One of the big reasons for that delay is development of a processing facility for all that food and yard waste, and a key milestone was picking its location.

The site of Calgary’s car racing track, shuttered after last season, had long been earmarked for stormwater management for the nearby Shepard landfill, but also for waste processing, project manager Jim Miller said.

That land between 68th Street S.E. and the ring road was chosen among 38 alternatives, including the Spyhill Landfill in the city’s northwest and in a rural industrial area near High River. It was deemed most affordable and easiest for Alberta Environment approvals.

“Preparing the facility is like preparing a landfill: it takes many years of going through regulatory process and the preparation in order to finally build it,” Ald. Druh Farrell said.

The waste division will bring a capital plan to the city next March, but earlier preliminary estimates put costs at $50 million to $60 million, to potentially be recouped through user fees — as is the case with the recycling plant. It’s also unclear yet whether the city will contract a private firm to construct and operate the massive organics digester.

Abbeydale, Southwood, Cougar Ridge and Brentwood have been given green carts to test out how Calgarians would take to composting. After the first few months, city garbage trucks are picking up 40 per cent less waste from conventional black carts in those neighbourhoods.

Car racing groups, meanwhile, have been trying to secure an out-of-town plot for a new track complex.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ra...#ixzz1z3fMJAZi
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Z

haven't used my green cart yet. Stupid black garbage is only collected bi-weekly now.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Hatred

This green cart thing is going to be a pain. I already compost at home and have no intentions of actually paying the city to take it away for me when I can use it just fine in my own yard.
    -U

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Geen cart for me = outboard motor tester
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

The only issue I have with this program is the fact that there is no option to opt-out if you don't want to do this. It's forced upon everyone to do this whether you already compost or not, and you are still taxed for it. Plus if you already compost then you only get garbage pickup every 2 weeks, which according to all the city's statistic's shouldn't be an issue as they are picking up 40% less garbage. Oh, and I lose more floor space to put yet another bin in the garage - goody.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

So when's the 4th, 5th, etc bin coming?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12489559
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So when I cut up the green bin, do I put it in the blue one to recycle or the black one for garbage? Same thing for the other two, which one do I chop up so the debris gets disposed of correctly?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

Atleast calgary has respectable sized bins.. Okotoks garbage and recycling bins are a complete joke. Nothing fits in them, and the town wonders why people are illegally dumping elsewhere! I envy Calgarys bins!
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

Originally posted by black_shadow_18
    Atleast calgary has respectable sized bins.. Okotoks garbage and recycling bins are a complete joke. Nothing fits in them, and the town wonders why people are illegally dumping elsewhere! I envy Calgarys bins!
    We had to start using the Curb-it bins so that we could meet the towns new limit and even now all the big garbage goes into my truck and into a dumpster because there is no room in these 80L cans. even the recycling bins are too small.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:34 PM.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Ill take a page from the Trailer Park boys Movie and start a nice green bin grow op to offset the wonderful increased taxes for this crap.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Am sensing a bit of keyboard warriorism in this thread - will be interesting to see how stick to their guns as per their posts in this thread.
    Will fuck off, again.