Quantcast
Rafter dies of injuries after Bow River rescue - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rafter dies of injuries after Bow River rescue

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Rafter dies of injuries after Bow River rescue

No idea what these guys' experience level was like but for the casual rafter, this is an unfortunate reminder to stay off The Bow right now.

As a man died in hospital after being tossed from a raft along Harvie Passage, fire department officials say the message for inexperienced river enthusiasts to avoid the rapids is not being heard.

"This incident has got to refocus everybody," said Calgary Fire Department battalion chief Larry Fisher.

"It is unbelievably frustrating for us and it scares the blazes out of me that the message isn't getting to everyone. It looks fun and inviting, but it is very dangerous."

In Monday's incident, a man was taken to Foothills Hospital in life-threatening condition following a dramatic rescue on the Bow River by the water rescue team.

Just after 4 p.m., four adults were floating in a raft when it was swept up in the swift rapids and capsized.

Three of the passengers made it to the shore, but the fourth was swept downstream by the strong current. All four were wearing life-jackets.

The water rescue team plucked the man from the river near the 17th Avenue bridge, about 750 metres from the scene of the incident, said spokesman Jayson Doysher.

The rafter was found unconscious in critical, life-threatening condition caused by near drowning.

He later died of his injuries at Foothills Hospital, officials said.

While the rescuers were wrapping up that incident, a kayaker flipped and someone on a nearby raft scrambled to help. Both appeared unhurt.

Monday's incident comes on the heels of emergency responders pleading with people to stay off the rivers over the long weekend because of extremely high and fast water levels. In addition, the water is littered with debris, such as logs and branches, which increases the danger level.

Fisher said most people complied with the request from emergency services on Saturday and Sunday, and there were fewer boats on the river than anticipated.

That changed Monday, though, as the mercury rose, with five separate river rescues, including the fatal one.

Fisher said he, and many others in the fire department, are concerned by the number of inexperienced boaters, rafters and kayakers tackling Harvie Passage, which, under typical conditions, boasts a less turbulent Class II rapid and one with a challenging Class III rapid.

"I am so worried that there is this one family out there that we have missed, whom we haven't got the message to," said Fisher. "They are going to come floating along in a raft and it's going to be a huge surprise to them and we are going to lose them. That is my biggest fear."

Fisher said the water temperature at this time of year is about 5 C.

He reminded experienced kayakers to wear the proper gear, including a helmet. "It's tough enough to survive a spill in that water. But with no helmet and you hit your head on the rocks under the water it's even tougher."

The area around the existing weir on the Bow River was reconstructed to form a series of man-made pools and rapids, which opened to users in May. Before the reconstruction, the weir's hydraulic action made it nearly impossible for people caught in the churning water to get out. Over the past 100 years, the weir killed 14 people.

When the passage opened in May, officials warned of the dangers.

"We want to really point out to people who are intending to use the river over the summer that it isn't a waterslide," said Derek Lovlin, operations manager with Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development. "Don't misinterpret it - it's safer, but there's still risk involved."

At the same time, while creating a safer river was the No. 1 priority of the Harvie Passage project, designers of the water features also had recreation in mind. Boulders, chutes, drops, play holes and play waves combine to create a type of "water playground" that exists in few other North American urban centres.

Fisher said there is sufficient warning and signage in place to let river enthusiasts know what's ahead.

[email protected]

[email protected]
    © Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...528/story.html
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

That's crazy. I was just there yesterday watching kayakers while taking a 5 minute breather during my bike ride. I was thinking to myself, these guys have balls doing this right now with after all the recent rain. I had no idea someone died there just hours before

My Ride
    Bicycle

Piss me off that people were warned and doing it anyway. Risking other people's lives trying to save their asses.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Piss me off that people were warned and doing it anyway. Risking other people's lives trying to save their asses.
    Yupp, hard to feel sympathy for this one.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Like I said, it entirely depends on your skill level. The section is classified by R2 which isnt anything crazy but people get overly confident and thats when shit happena. The accident out on Kicking Horse not long ago was led by very experienced guides. Accidents happen.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    Like I said, it entirely depends on your skill level. The section is classified by R2 which isnt anything crazy but people get overly confident and thats when shit happena. The accident out on Kicking Horse not long ago was led by very experienced guides. Accidents happen.
    Yes but on Kicking Horse, even though the waters are high, they classified them as still being quite safe. Here on the other hand, not the case. There have been numerous warnings to stay off but these guys still go out. I can understand kayakers a bit more (still wouldn't go out if it was me) but these guys were on a fucking raft.

It's the equivalent of me going riding when everyone is saying no cause the avalanche warning is high.

Accidents happen, but more often than not in these cases, it's just natural selection that happened.
    Last edited by Spoons; 07-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Originally posted by Spoons

Yes but on Kicking Horse, even though the waters are high, they classified them as still being quite safe. Here on the other hand, not the case. There have been numerous warnings to stay off but these guys still go out. I can understand kayakers a bit more (still wouldn't go out if it was me) but these guys were on a fucking raft.

It's the equivalent of me going riding when everyone is saying no cause the avalanche warning is high.

Accidents happen, but more often than not in these cases, it's just natural selection that happened.
    It also entirely depends on the equipment you have too. Maybe if these guys were in a legit whitewater raft they probably wouldn't have had an issue, but if they were in the $10 dinghies from Canadian Tire then there is no reason they should have been out there.

Also the passage has two different channels for different types of raft. The low flow channel (south part of the passage) is meant for your smaller rafts and inexperienced rafters while the high flow channel (north part of the passage) is meant for more experienced individuals.

The other thing that isn't mentioned is just how cold the Bow is right now. Falling in the water alone could have been enough to shock his system to the point where he couldn't get out of the river.

Hopefully the City can use this to raise even more awareness or these accidents will continue.

Dumb signs like this are part of the problem:

Casual users would have no idea what the difference between Class II and Class III rapids are.

The signs on the Bow River should just say "DANGER AHEAD - KEEP RIGHT"
    ---

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Originally posted by kenny
    Dumb signs like this are part of the problem:

Casual users would have no idea what the difference between Class II and Class III rapids are.

The signs on the Bow River should just say "DANGER AHEAD - KEEP RIGHT"
    Yeah that's terrible... I am not surprised people are getting caught up on the wrong side of the river

My Ride
    W204

Why should the city babysit these users? I would never even venture out to a place that says "rapids" to begin with. People probably see it as nothing and decide they can go ahead. Can't comment on their circumstances facing these particular people, but in the internet age, it's really not that difficult to a just little bit of research before heading out. Like literally 5 minutes to save your life. Not only that but didn't they notice that the water level was quite extreme??
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Ford F150

You have to know what street signs mean before you can drive, why should rafting be any different. The city shouldnt be responsible for peoples ignorance.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by clem24
    Why should the city babysit these users? I would never even venture out to a place that says "rapids" to begin with. People probably see it as nothing and decide they can go ahead. Can't comment on their circumstances facing these particular people, but in the internet age, it's really not that difficult to a just little bit of research before heading out. Like literally 5 minutes to save your life. Not only that but didn't they notice that the water level was quite extreme??

If you are going out on a river, you should know at least the basics of rapid classifications. Not very hard to determine that class 3 > class 2. Its too bad that some people don't listen.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by got_mike33
    The other thing that isn't mentioned is just how cold the Bow is right now. Falling in the water alone could have been enough to shock his system to the point where he couldn't get out of the river.

Fisher mentions it's about 5C during this time of year which is fucking cold. R3 ups the danger, thought it was just R2. Lack of equipment and experience could be the major factors here.

I think the fire department is going to err on the side of caution with rapids within city limits.
    Last edited by msommers; 07-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    You have to know what street signs mean before you can drive, why should rafting be any different. The city shouldnt be responsible for peoples ignorance.
    Considering you need to be licensed to drive, thats a bad comparison. The Harvie Passage was designed as a "water playground" for recreational users of the river and they even removed the sign that advises users of the river to portage around the area because it wasn't safe. The new sign just shows two possible routes to take with no recommended path to take.

This is from the Harvie Passage website for the question "What if I fall into the river?"

There will be areas of faster water separated by slow, deep pools from which most people can easily swim or walk to shore

I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible for their own safety, because they should. I'm saying the Harvie Passage area is still really dangerous in the best conditions and the City has not done enough to stress that to users of the river--and in fact I feel they've done the opposite by promoting it as a fun, recreational river park/playground.
    ---

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible for their own safety, because they should. I'm saying the Harvie Passage area is still really dangerous in the best conditions and the City has not done enough to stress that to users of the river--and in fact I feel they've done the opposite by promoting it as a fun, recreational river park/playground.

Maybe, but in this specific case, police personally warned this group, who ignored them and went in anyways.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

True, but not much the city can do when they get a call someone fell in the river. They are obligated to go and rescue them.

That being said, I think if you fall in and they have to come save you you should be on the hook for at least some of the bill.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Originally posted by sillysod

True, but not much the city can do when they get a call someone fell in the river. They are obligated to go and rescue them.

That being said, I think if you fall in and they have to come save you you should be on the hook for at least some of the bill.
    The funny thing is the city is not really obligated. All bodies of water in Canada (rivers, lakes, oceans, steams etc.) are federally regulated, so it's actually the coast guard's responsibility.

Originally posted by sillysod

Agree'd.

I bring my point up again. If you go out of bounds skiing and get stuck back there and ski patrol has to come and get you, you're on the hook for the bill. Why not this?

Considering you need to be licensed to drive, thats a bad comparison. The Harvie Passage was designed as a "water playground" for recreational users of the river and they even removed the sign that advises users of the river to portage around the area because it wasn't safe. The new sign just shows two possible routes to take with no recommended path to take.

This is from the Harvie Passage website for the question "What if I fall into the river?"

There will be areas of faster water separated by slow, deep pools from which most people can easily swim or walk to shore

What about skiing? Many times their are just black diamonds, blue and green signs with no description on them (yea I know in some cases they write "easy", "hard" etc). Should a ski hill have to give every user an orientation and discuss the difference between the colors and/or have lengthy descriptions on each sign?

The problem is people don't take anything on the water seriously. From power boating to basic swimming lessons very few have the proper training/experience and when someone gets hurt somehow every one is surprised?????
    Last edited by J-hop; 07-04-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Originally posted by J-hop

What about skiing? Many times their are just black diamonds, blue and green signs with no description on them (yea I know in some cases they write "easy", "hard" etc). Should a ski hill have to give every user an orientation and discuss the difference between the colors and/or have lengthy descriptions on each sign?
    I think every single ski resort that I've ever been to has "Easiest way" written on the signs and maps, from top to bottom of the hill. I think the easy route is made very clear for anyone looking for it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast