Quantcast
Looking at a Audi Q5. Opinions? Other options? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a Audi Q5. Opinions? Other options?

Default Looking at a Audi Q5. Opinions? Other options?

I am getting out of my jetta and looking for something with a bit more room and something i can tow a little bit with.

My current plan is to get a Q5 Premium Plus with the 2.0T and S-Line Package. It has pretty much all i am looking for with the exception of a few nags. No A2DP bluetooth, piss poor nav, and finding the exact one i want is becoming harder than i thought.

My budget is around $55-60K all in and a loaded out 2.0T Q5 is right on the money.

Closest competitors are the obvious X3 and the GLK350. I really like the moms GLK, she is a big fan of it as well.

I know if you are looking new the Q5 seems to be flying off the lot according to friend at dealership. Next to no room for negotiation on them because they know they will sell to the next person.

Otherwise look into a Cherokee, or maybe an RDX?

Originally posted by colinxx235
    Closest competitors are the obvious X3 and the GLK350. I really like the moms GLK, she is a big fan of it as well.

I know if you are looking new the Q5 seems to be flying off the lot according to friend at dealership. Next to no room for negotiation on them because they know they will sell to the next person.

Otherwise look into a Cherokee, or maybe an RDX?
    Based on style the GLK350 and RDX are out. The lexus is too girly looking IMO and the MB is styled more box like. The X3 is really like but i think with the options i want it will push it over budget.

Never considered a Cherokee...ill check it out.

yup, X3 can get pricey

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/help-me-...=&pagenumber=1

read that thread, pretty recent. mostly identical to what you are looking at. Except he threw in the SRX, which he picked

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Almost bought a Q5 a 1.5 yrs ago, were down to between the Q5 and Ford Edge of all things. Audi wouldn't deal and I thought full load 2.0 which is what we wanted was too pricy for what you got. Ended up getting the Edge cause Ford would deal. I did really like the Q5 though even though it felt a bit small

We looked at almost every single SUV in that size class. A lot we discounted cause I couldn't fit due to my height, all Lexus, Touareg, MB, too small; Edge is tight but manageable. Didn't look at the X3 cause wife didn't like it.

Not trying to preach but we decided the almost 15-20G price difference by the time we dealt Ford down was worth it. Just bought the sucker out instead of having to finance. Went to Hawaii, lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The only thing I can complain about 3G MMI NAV is the lack of updates even if you want to pay for it.

Otherwise, it's one of the best factory NAV units out there.

That said, Q5 will never be a good deal. They can never keep it in stock.

X2 on grand cherokee, the new ones are quite nice

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by spike98

The lexus is too girly
    I don't think the q5 is any less girly. Both people that I know who drive them are women.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

They've already been out for a while, but lately, I've been noticing the FX45/50s. Pretty nice looking suv/crossover

x3 on the Cherokee.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Originally posted by spike98

Based on style the GLK350 and RDX are out. The lexus is too girly looking IMO and the MB is styled more box like. The X3 is really like but i think with the options i want it will push it over budget.

Never considered a Cherokee...ill check it out.
    I do not think there is anything "girly" about the Lexus RX 350 F Sport, it is about $63K all in.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/vehicles/BK1BAV2013/veh_intro.jsp?model=BK1BAV&year=2013

Plus it will hold its value pretty well.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Why not look at the X3 28i, it's a 2l turbo just like the Q5 and around $5K cheaper than the 35i variant.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

The Q5 looks less "girly" to me because of the prominent Audi grill. Ultimately IMO crossovers aren't "manly" at all. I am just looking for something the least feminine for now. A few years from now it will be passed down to the wife and ill move back to a sedan.

I am going to test drive the Jeep today. With all the response and looking at the specs it is a real good value. I have been anti-domestic for a while but its been so long i have forgotten why haha. The domestics are really stepping up their game these days. If i was looking at a truck, the F-150 would be a serious contender.

What are you looking to tow? I would suggest going with a 6 if you are. The Q5 is also not as tall as some of the others so it doesn't feel as "big". I think there's a bit of turbo lag vs say the BMW. If you like nice and clean interiors, then you'll like the Q5 (I'd expect you to since you already own a jetta). I also really like the panoramic roof option so I'd recommend that but I believe that's a $2300 option so if you get that and the s-line package, you will most likely hit $60k or more all in. You could probably get a very nicely equipped X3 35i for a bit more which I think will be a lot better (if we are comparing Germans). It's obvious you can save a shit load going with other brands or makes but these would be my preferences too.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

What about the ex35?

My Ride
    3.0TFSI

The only thing Audi will give you is the 5 free service which save you some money on it. and depends on what are you going to do with it too. The Q5 2.0T got few things you can mod it on too (ex. ECU tune by APR, suspension, exhaust...) Q5 is the same platform as A4.

By it really depends on what you want. If for performance i would go for X3/X1 luxury i would go for GLK. The Q5 is more in between X3 and GLK.

I drive a Q7 and i love it since it has luxury and performance.

My Ride
    3.0TFSI

Originally posted by Euro838
    What are you looking to tow? I would suggest going with a 6 if you are. The Q5 is also not as tall as some of the others so it doesn't feel as "big". I think there's a bit of turbo lag vs say the BMW. If you like nice and clean interiors, then you'll like the Q5 (I'd expect you to since you already own a jetta). I also really like the panoramic roof option so I'd recommend that but I believe that's a $2300 option so if you get that and the s-line package, you will most likely hit $60k or more all in. You could probably get a very nicely equipped X3 35i for a bit more which I think will be a lot better (if we are comparing Germans). It's obvious you can save a shit load going with other brands or makes but these would be my preferences too.
    The interior of the X3 look like plastic. Q5 got a much nicer interior then the X3 for sure. And all the option add up too.

This is what i optioned out on the Q5:

Premium Plus 2.0T
    Panaramic Sunroof
    MMI Nav (no backup cam)
    S-Line Package
    B&O Sound System

The sales rep told me he would do $55k all in for the above. As far as i can see it thats about $2k off list which is HUGE for such a popular car.

He also lied to me about MY13 coming out in Q2 but i think that was just to push the one i was looking at. With the My13 they are dropping the N/A 3.0 adding a deisel and the 3.0T out of an A5. They are also doing a few tweaks to the headlights and MMI for the refresh. But i dont want to spend the $70k ish to get the 3.0T when a STASIS tuned 2.0T is faster than the N/A 3.0 with boat loads more torque.

What i am planning on pulling is a smallish ski boat. Nothing huge. Perhaps that odd small tent trailer in the future.

The look of the GLK is growing on me as well but i have yet to plant my ass in one.

Another HUGE thing for me to consider is my location. I am in medicine hat, which means any warranty or recall must be in calgary. The VW shop here is authorized for audi (not sure if its also audi-care). I have talk to a few "hatters" about owning Q5/7 and they say they haven't had issues with them enough to worry about the distance. But the same would be with anything really in the mid-size luxury department. Thats where the advantage would go to the grand cherokee.

I just did a quick look at the 2012 (2.0 TSI Highline 4MOTION) Tiguan. $46,500 all taxes, delivery and all the option boxes fully ticked. You get $500 back as a current VW owner, 0% financing for 60 months, rear camera, etc and local qualified servicing from the VW dealer. This leaves you 10-15K under budget, enough room for a toy or three I would think. Can get a nice start on any camper or water toy and be using them next weekend.

Does the 55K for your loaded Audi include all taxes, delivery fees, etc?

Why is the Tiguan not being considered (might have missed this in an earlier post)?
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 07-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

I know it's not the prettiest beast on the road, but have you considered a new Murano?
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast